What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who would you like to see appointed as Dragons Coach for 2015 on

Who would you like to see appointed as Dragons Coach from 2015 on

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

possm

Coach
It's more and more looking like history will repeat itself:

Doust makes a big money play for Bellamy, thinks he is in the race and loses. Then hires Price, Mary and Young to coach the Dragons - a more economical solution.

Doust makes a big money play for Bennett to return, thinks he is in the race and loses. Then hires Mary, Hornby and Millward to coach the Dragons - a more economical solution.

What do we need to do to achieve better outcomes?

OUST DOUST!

possm

Coach
Dugan said from the time McGregor first floated the idea of switching, he had been determined to see out the year at centre – something that seems even more likely with the recent and desperately unlucky season-ending pectoral injury to Farrell.
“Adam Quinlan's playing some great footy for us at the back and I don't think my form's been too bad or warrants being changed,” Dugan said.

“I was always expecting, as long as my form was OK and the team was going alright, to finish off the year at centre. “I'm always going to keep trying to improve, I've been working with Coops and Mary just to try to get a few tips and pointers every week for things I can improve on but I'm definitely looking forward to sticking out the year there and coming in to pre-season for next year and seeing what the plan is.”

Like Gasnier and Cooper before him, Dugan has been defending two-in, rather than next to the winger, and he said that has actually been an easier adjustment positionally despite the higher number of tackles. “I think when you first get in and know a position, especially at centre, it's easier to defend at three-man because you know you've got the lead runner and you can double-d and push out. I think that was the main reason for me starting at three-man but it seems to be working so I don't think it will change.”

Dugan said there were no specific personal goals he could elaborate on other than a continual focus on learning and improvement. “Mainly week-in week-out I try and get a few touches, get involved and make sure my D [defence] is OK. “There were a few hiccups [in the 21-12 loss to Manly in Round 19] as a whole on the right edge, but we've fixed that up and again, we've been defending pretty well since I made the shift so I don't think we're going to get too down on ourselves after one bad game but we'll just keep trying to improve every game.” He said the team overall has been playing with plenty of confidence since McGregor took over.

“We've been playing some pretty good footy over the last few weeks. As long as we keep improving, which is what we've been trying to do, I think we could be a good chance of getting a win [against the Roosters]. “The two points this weekend would put us right up in the mix for the top eight. A lot of the boys are confident we'll be there in September but we've got to win those tight, tough games and this weekend is one of them. “The boys are real tight at the moment and real confident as well, so as long as we keep putting good performances on the board we'll definitely be a shot of being there in the back end of the year.

“Mary's brought in a lot of confidence, everyone's loving playing under his structures and his philosophy. His game plans seem to be working as well. The last few weeks our combinations have been right on point and we've been putting some tries on and getting away with the wins.” He describes McGregor as a perfectionist, and a straight shooter. “Since he's taken over he says it how it is and that's what everyone expects from him. If you're playing well and doing the right things he'll let you know, but if you're not doing the right things, or have a stuff up he'll let you know as well. He puts it on you to improve and if you don't you know you're not going to be there week in week out.”

http://www.nrl.com/centre-legacy-not-lost-on-dugan/tabid/10874/newsid/80697/default.aspx

The push for Mary to be appointed head coach is growing stronger each week. To me it looks like key players, Board members and sports reporters are on board Doust's plan to appoint Mary as head coach.

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
Dugan said from the time McGregor first floated the idea of switching, he had been determined to see out the year at centre ? something that seems even more likely with the recent and desperately unlucky season-ending pectoral injury to Farrell.
?Adam Quinlan's playing some great footy for us at the back and I don't think my form's been too bad or warrants being changed,? Dugan said.

?I was always expecting, as long as my form was OK and the team was going alright, to finish off the year at centre. ?I'm always going to keep trying to improve, I've been working with Coops and Mary just to try to get a few tips and pointers every week for things I can improve on but I'm definitely looking forward to sticking out the year there and coming in to pre-season for next year and seeing what the plan is.?

Like Gasnier and Cooper before him, Dugan has been defending two-in, rather than next to the winger, and he said that has actually been an easier adjustment positionally despite the higher number of tackles. ?I think when you first get in and know a position, especially at centre, it's easier to defend at three-man because you know you've got the lead runner and you can double-d and push out. I think that was the main reason for me starting at three-man but it seems to be working so I don't think it will change.?

Dugan said there were no specific personal goals he could elaborate on other than a continual focus on learning and improvement. ?Mainly week-in week-out I try and get a few touches, get involved and make sure my D [defence] is OK. ?There were a few hiccups [in the 21-12 loss to Manly in Round 19] as a whole on the right edge, but we've fixed that up and again, we've been defending pretty well since I made the shift so I don't think we're going to get too down on ourselves after one bad game but we'll just keep trying to improve every game.? He said the team overall has been playing with plenty of confidence since McGregor took over.

?We've been playing some pretty good footy over the last few weeks. As long as we keep improving, which is what we've been trying to do, I think we could be a good chance of getting a win [against the Roosters]. ?The two points this weekend would put us right up in the mix for the top eight. A lot of the boys are confident we'll be there in September but we've got to win those tight, tough games and this weekend is one of them. ?The boys are real tight at the moment and real confident as well, so as long as we keep putting good performances on the board we'll definitely be a shot of being there in the back end of the year.

?Mary's brought in a lot of confidence, everyone's loving playing under his structures and his philosophy. His game plans seem to be working as well. The last few weeks our combinations have been right on point and we've been putting some tries on and getting away with the wins.? He describes McGregor as a perfectionist, and a straight shooter. ?Since he's taken over he says it how it is and that's what everyone expects from him. If you're playing well and doing the right things he'll let you know, but if you're not doing the right things, or have a stuff up he'll let you know as well. He puts it on you to improve and if you don't you know you're not going to be there week in week out.?

http://www.nrl.com/centre-legacy-not-lost-on-dugan/tabid/10874/newsid/80697/default.aspx

The push for Mary to be appointed head coach is growing stronger each week. To me it looks like key players, Board members and sports reporters are on board Doust's plan to appoint Mary as head coach.

I have a hunch that MacGregor has already been given the nod. Hopefully they are looking for someone else to work with him...as rumoured on here Matt Parish.

GT0007

Juniors
I'm now on board the anti rookie, anti old boy, anti antiquated, anti Illawarra line.
No L platers!!

Given who may be available at season's end I think the answer is obvious.

John Kartwrite.

188 games, so not a rookie.
Never been a part of Saints, so not an old boy.
Rumour has it has never been near a South Coast beach, so pure of blood.
Young of age, pure of heart.
Even got his team to the semis a couple of times.

Who's with me?

Anybody?

Hello?

I think I read somewhere the Titans have only made the finals twice in 10years.

Last edited:

hewi

Bench
If the boys beat the Roosters tonight I think it would be difficult to argue against Magregor getting job.

St Georgio

Juniors
No to mary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!he f**ked up, we still searching for a winning coach!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
No to mary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!he f**ked up, we still searching for a winning coach!!!!!!!!!

Your not serious. Maybe go back and watch a few of the games when Price was coaching us. We were competitive tonight...Yes there were some poor options in attack but they never gave up. It will be hard to make the 8 but at least we are not getting smashed 38 - 0 .

If the boys beat the Roosters tonight I think it would be difficult to argue against Magregor getting job.

For those immature enough supporting a week by week, wait and see approach, there you go.

The Roosters were absolutely ripe for the picking.

No need to panic, let's wait for next week's performance. FFS

macnaz

Staff member
Cant believe some of you guys are bagging the coach. Maybe Mary isnt the best on the market but considering where you were earlier in the year with no chin Saints are a 10 times better side now. With your talent there is only so much that can be achieved and I think your side is traveling ok with whats available and the future at least looks good now.

TheRev

Coach
Cant believe some of you guys are bagging the coach. Maybe Mary isnt the best on the market but considering where you were earlier in the year with no chin Saints are a 10 times better side now. With your talent there is only so much that can be achieved and I think your side is traveling ok with whats available and the future at least looks good now.
Spot on.. the expectations are ridiculous, man for man almost the entire squad is finally hitting their straps, its the glue thats missing, and its going to take time (esp with Benji's late arrival).

The key piece missing is that most top clubs have 3-4 genuine international rep quality forwards in their ranks, we have 1 in Merrin, with a couple of others going ok, but still 1-2 yrs away from being the real deal (if they even make it). Throw Creagh in there as being the piece that has kept our pack afloat in 2014.

BennyV

Referee

Thats the point a lot of us are trying to make. You can make all the 'if', 'and' or 'but' excuses you want, at the end of the day if he's not the best coach on the market, he shoulnt be extended. The fact that we are playing better than we were under Price is more an indication of how bad he was. You cant just let your standards drops because of a few shotty years.

St Tangles

Bench
Who is better that is on the market a willing to coach the Dragons?
1 Sheens the game has passed him by and he caused issues at the Tigers
2 Smith no thanks
3 Henry struggled to get star studded Cowboy sides to perform

I was not sold on Mary at first but what I do like about him is he holds players accountable.

I am enjoying our effort and watching our games at present which is more than I can say about the past 2 . 5 years.

Is he the answer I'm not sure but who else is available?

FlameThrower

Bench
2 Smith no thanks

I was not sold on Mary at first but what I do like about him is he holds players accountable.

I am enjoying our effort and watching our games at present which is more than I can say about the past 2 . 5 years.

Odds are Board will take easy way out and appoint Mary, issue I have will be attracting real quality players without having to pay 30% more market value! Daniel Anderson anyone??????

BennyV

Referee
2 Smith no thanks

There it is again! In lesser words, you are saying Mary is good based on the fact that Price was so bad...

Theres 2 types of people, those who are ok with Mary being extended (because, y'know, hes better than Price) and those who want someone else (because they want our club to be the best they can be).

Noone available? I bet the Bulldogs thought that in 2011 too. We need to MAKE someone available. I dont think Henry is a terrible option, tbh I dont think the Cows were that star-studded and had other cultural and travel issue to overcome, yet he still took them deep into 2 final series.

Otherwise, why are we not tapping Daniel Anderson on the shoulder? Or Tony Smith or Shaun Wane? Even Browny.

St Tangles

Bench
Odds are Board will take easy way out and appoint Mary, issue I have will be attracting real quality players without having to pay 30% more market value! Daniel Anderson anyone??????

There it is again! In lesser words, you are saying Mary is good based on the fact that Price was so bad...

Theres 2 types of people, those who are ok with Mary being extended (because, y'know, hes better than Price) and those who want someone else (because they want our club to be the best they can be).

Noone available? I bet the Bulldogs thought that in 2011 too. We need to MAKE someone available. I dont think Henry is a terrible option, tbh I dont think the Cows were that star-studded and had other cultural and travel issue to overcome, yet he still took them deep into 2 final series.

Otherwise, why are we not tapping Daniel Anderson on the shoulder? Or Tony Smith or Shaun Wane? Even Browny.

No I am saying that Mary is good based on performance of the players.
The reverse can be said are you saying he is no good because of Price.
I have said previously that I would like Brown or T Smith as options but people here say they are not available.
There is a reason the D Anderson has been punted from his last 2 clubs.
I'm not prepared to write Mary off because of the performance of Price.