What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who would you like to see appointed as Dragons Coach for 2015 on

Who would you like to see appointed as Dragons Coach from 2015 on

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BennyV

Referee
No I am saying that Mary is good based on performance of the players.
The reverse can be said are you saying he is no good because of Price.
I have said previously that I would like Brown or T Smith as options but people here say they are not available.
There is a reason the D Anderson has been punted from his last 2 clubs.
I'm not prepared to write Mary off because of the performance of Price.

The team has gone from wooden spooners under Price to mid-tablers under Mary. Discount the rounds Price coached and Mary is 5/9, not a record worthy of saying he is 'good'...especially when you consider the teams we have won an lost against.

Then you look at the teams performance...on the surface, it is improved, but that is more of a reflection of how bad Price was. Mary has brought them from horrible to ok. Has he fixed the issue with our line speed? Has he identified the right players for the right position? Sure, hes fixed our middle defense, but our edges are as exposed as ever (with people saying a former test centre as a coach should fix that). Has he made our attack more fluent? Compare our best game under Mary to our best under Price this year and you'll see the answer.

Theres a LOT more improvement to be done to get this team to where it deserves to be (and to where us fans deserve to have it) and there are better options than McGregor to take it there.

St Tangles

Bench
Did you expect Mary to take our side from spoon contendors to top 4 contenders is 9 weeks.
Look at the sides we have lost to Manly / Roosters / Penrith all top 4 sides.
I guess some people have unrealistic / unreasonable expectations.
Is Mary the answer I don't know but I will not write him off yet.

BennyV

Referee
Did you expect Mary to take our side from spoon contendors to top 4 contenders is 9 weeks.

He is inexperienced, not even having had a proper NRL apprenticeship. He needs to show something very special to convince me that we should overlook that inexperience and give him the role. IMO, he has no shown that, and I'm not keen on wasting another 2-3 years while he learns the ropes.

DUB888

Juniors
The team has gone from wooden spooners under Price to mid-tablers under Mary. Discount the rounds Price coached and Mary is 5/9, not a record worthy of saying he is 'good'...especially when you consider the teams we have won an lost against.

Then you look at the teams performance...on the surface, it is improved, but that is more of a reflection of how bad Price was. Mary has brought them from horrible to ok. Has he fixed the issue with our line speed? Has he identified the right players for the right position? Sure, hes fixed our middle defense, but our edges are as exposed as ever (with people saying a former test centre as a coach should fix that). Has he made our attack more fluent? Compare our best game under Mary to our best under Price this year and you'll see the answer.

Theres a LOT more improvement to be done to get this team to where it deserves to be (and to where us fans deserve to have it) and there are better options than McGregor to take it there.

He is inexperienced, not even having had a proper NRL apprenticeship. He needs to show something very special to convince me that we should overlook that inexperience and give him the role. IMO, he has no shown that, and I'm not keen on wasting another 2-3 years while he learns the ropes.

Totally agree , an experienced coach is needed as last nights performance has shown.

St Georgio

Juniors

I believe a top notch coach(Brad Arthur) could have jagged either Manly or the Roosters , I was throwing my weight behind Mary, but now I'm not sure, I rather get Nathan Brown back I know that devil!

Last edited:
Why bother throwing names up that have already said no Brown and T Smith have both flat out said they are not interested how much more clear do they have to make it for people to get the hint.

Shaun Wane has also stated he doesn't feel the need to come to Australia to prove he can coach so he is basically saying thanks but no thanks to.

People even mentioning Henry is a bit of a laugh the guy couldn't do a thing at the Cowboys with the squads they have had serious they could barely win a game in Sydney that tells me he doesn't know how to prepare a team.

Sheens and B Smith over the hill out of touch coaches sure Sheens looks good but whoes he coaching Australia and Smith he's cleaning up Sheens mess.

Anderson is the football director at the eels again cleaning up a mess made by the previous fools who ran that club like a chook raffle.

Who does that leave you Griffin, Stone, Taylor, Brennan all decent coaches but wouldn't make a difference for the simple fact the Dragons are a young inexperienced squad.

If you can't get a Toovey, Belly or a Hasler your not getting the best.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
We are probably at where we were in 2003............talented roster able to lay on a few tries, but inconsistent. Only difference is, Mary has taken over mid-season, whilst Brown had a full off-season. But on the flip side, Brown was only 29 with no support, whilst Mary is 40 something with a great support team around him. Same different.

Ask yourself a question, how was it fixed (Besides Bennet)?
- Introduced some premiership winners into the team
- Brought some tough forwards
- Simplified the game plan; Defence, kick-chase, more defence. Didn't worry too much about attack, attack will come naturally

Pretty simple me thinks.

St Georgio

Juniors
So what I am hearing I will have to wait another 30 years for another premiership, that f**king sux, this club needs to go private owner!

getsmarty

Immortal

Benny V Agree re all your thoughts re McGregor. Unfortunately our club doesn't have either the vision or money to go after another High Profile coach. Doust went after Bellamy...we get Price... Then went after Bennett...I reckon McGregor has already been locked in as the next coach. Just a hunch, but seems to be Doust's modus operandi.... More than likely a 1 year deal with an option in the clubs favor.

Apparently we spoke to Henry ages ago...also Sheens was rumoured. Nothing has come into fruition and the longer time goes on I suspect that we also missed out on these targets as they probably knew that Bennett was our Prime Target. Who wants to be 2nd/3rd choice pick???

I hope I'm wrong, but our current board hardly instills me with confidence due to the players we have let go and the lack of ability to sign high profile targets outside of Marshall and Dugan who basically fell into our laps.

possm

Coach
Many on here are comparing Mary with Price and so justifying improvement in performance/attitude as a reason for appointing Mary. I would like to remind these members that Mary was a senior figure in the Dragon's coaching staff and must also be held responsible for the previous performance/attitude of the players.

Who is experienced, with good coaching skills and available to coach the Dragons:

Sheens - The current Australian coach. Problem is that he costs a lot more than Mary and his dispute with the Tigers has not been formally settled.

Griffin - Does he want the job?

Brown - Under contract, does he want to come back?

Henry - Is it true that he is set to take over at the Titans?

B Smith - Is he in the frame, does the Club want him?

Daley - No experience at NRL level but winning SOO head coach with Mary as assistant. Would the Board take the risk.

Mary - Has not shown all that much and is in-experienced at NRL level. There has been a strong campaign on his behalf however, it this just a distraction to hide the real direction the Board wants to take.

From all of the above, my preference is Sheens.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
The reason I would prefer an high profile coach is for the fact that they would attract a better player roster particularly in the forward ranks.....I think either Daley or Sheens may be the answer....Im not sure that Mary would attract those players we are after...and I cant see much improvement in the roster we have now

St Georgio

Juniors
The reason I would prefer an high profile coach is for the fact that they would attract a better player roster particularly in the forward ranks.....I think either Daley or Sheens may be the answer....Im not sure that Mary would attract those players we are after...and I cant see much improvement in the roster we have now

If Mary can rip the door off it's hinges..I would throw my weight behind him again..but if somehow we could entice N Brown back, awesome.. B Smith great..warming to Sheens.

St Tangles

Bench
Again for the people talking up Tim Sheens / Brian Smith ask people at thier last clubs if they would take them back.
If it's just experience your after not ability Ricky Stuart and John Cartwright may be available for next year.
From the available options there is Henry / Griffin a few others and Mary.
I'm not sure which way is best but I am sure it's not Sheens or Smith.

bottle

Coach
Many on here are comparing Mary with Price and so justifying improvement in performance/attitude as a reason for appointing Mary. I would like to remind these members that Mary was a senior figure in the Dragon's coaching staff and must also be held responsible for the previous performance/attitude of the players.
I would like to remind members that Steve Price was a senior figure in the Dragon's coaching staff between 2009-2011 under Bennett and must also be held responsible for the previous performance/attitude of the players. during this time is an equally applicable argument.

dragonreddy

Juniors
I would like to remind members that Steve Price was a senior figure in the Dragon's coaching staff between 2009-2011 under Bennett and must also be held responsible for the previous performance/attitude of the players. during this time is an equally applicable argument.

Just think ,we may have won 3 premierships in that period if we didn't have PRICE as a handbrake involved in the coaching staff. I'd say the side was successful then despite him, not because of any of his irrelevant input.

The Cobra

Juniors
I would love to see Daniel Anderson get the job if he is interested.I read somewhere he was interested in the job at Newcastle,surely we would be a far more attractive proposition.

possm

Coach
Sheens and B Smith over the hill out of touch coaches sure Sheens looks good but whoes he coaching Australia and Smith he's cleaning up Sheens mess. QUOTE]

Good post, makes it much clearer who is really available however, I don't agree with your appraisal of Smith or Sheens.

It seems the Board is not interested in a return by Smith however, it has been reported that Sheens has met with the Board.

In my opinion it is now a contest between Sheens and Mary. I say this because other than Sheens, all other available options are inexperienced or not any better than Mary.

I believe Sheens is the man if Mary does not shine. I also believe that an announcement of Sheens as head coach wouold not happen until the finalization of his legal matters with the Tigers.

I think the Board are happy with this situation because it gives Mary until the end of the season to shine and it gives Sheens time to settle with the Tigers.

The appoint of Tim Sheens as head coach now would compremise and maybe reduce Sheens?s claim against the Tigers.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
With respect Possm I seriously don't get the love for Tim Sheens. He destroys clubs and his record is nothing to gloat about.
Unless you are Tim ?? lol