What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who would you like to see appointed as Dragons Coach for 2015 on

Who would you like to see appointed as Dragons Coach from 2015 on

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

getsmarty

Immortal
Paul McGregor last man standing for Dragons role

By TIM BARROW and ED JACKSON

Aug. 5, 2014, 8:43 p.m.
RUGBY LEAGUE

Paul McGregor

With Neil Henry likely to take over from John Cartwright as Gold Coast coach, Paul McGregor has firmed as the Dragons' long-term option.
St George Illawarra had discussed chasing Henry, in the wake of Wayne Bennett's decision against a second term in Wollongong in favour of a return to Brisbane.
On Tuesday, the coaching merry-go-round continued, with Cartwright's decision to quit Gold Coast.
The foundation coach announced he had stepped down with the Titans facing the prospect of a fourth straight season without finals football.
Joining Cartwright in the departure lounge was club founder Michael Searle, effectively ending the involvement of two of the biggest characters in the Titans' short existence.
But with Cartwright standing aside and Henry poised to take over, it will have implications on the Dragons' decision to appoint a coach.
After replacing Steve Price mid-season, McGregor now looms as the only option for the Dragons, barring a major change of heart from the St George Illawarra board.
While Cartwright will stay at the club in a non-football role, the end of his eight-year coaching tenure only adds to the uncertainty surrounding the future of a club undergoing a full internal review.
Cartwright was appointed the Titans' inaugural coach in 2007 after serving an apprenticeship as an assistant at the Panthers and Sydney Roosters.
Initial success appeared to point the Titans towards a bright future, with the club coming within a game of the grand final in 2010.
A wooden spoon in 2011 halted the momentum and, as the club battled off-field financial and boardroom issues, Cartwright wasn't able to get the Titans back to the finals.
"The last four years we've underachieved and, at the end of the day, that responsibility comes back to me," Cartwright said.
"I put my hand up - we haven't been successful on the field to maintain my job."
Assistant Henry will take over as interim coach following the Titans' clash with the Roosters at Allianz Stadium on Monday night.
The ex-North Queensland coach is considered the leading contender for the role full-time after impressing board members following his appointment as an assistant last year.
It's believed the club's perilous financial state could also make securing a high-profile coach from outside difficult.
Whoever gets the role will need to make a call on the only remaining foundation players, Luke Bailey and Mark Minichiello, who are both off contract at season's end.
There's also the issue of the current campaign, which Cartwright insists isn't over yet despite the club sitting 13th. AAP

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...or-last-man-standing-for-dragons-role/?cs=302

St Georgio

Juniors
I think this thread has secured W Bennet and N Henry there futures.uh well let sign Jason Taylor...f**k this club is going no where fast!

Rob Dragon

Juniors
Despite my initial concerns (grave concerns) I have really warmed to Mary. He is no-nonsense, tough, an international and he has had extensive experience around clubs in conditioning and coaching roles. He is not a novice as many are stating.

Interestingly the players have responded strongly to him. Even in the games we have lost under Mary we have not rolled over like we did against Parramatta earlier this year. There is good team spirit.

My issue is that we are still one big prop forward short on the roster and I do not see that fault changing for next year meaning the bigger sides will continue to roll over us.

Further, I do not consider Mitch Rein to be a long term hooker/dummy half option and Adam Quinlan (top little player) is not the answer at fullback.

To that end, until these areas are addressed I am not sure it matters who coaches us next year.

j0nesy

Bench
Totally agree Rob. Mary has done a great job and he clearly has the team playing better football. Also agree that the squad is not a top 4 squad. It's a fringe top 8 squad that Price had heading for the spoon. Mary has turned that around and were still a chance for the too 8 now. Definitely lacking an impact front rower.

Godz Illa

Coach
Last man standing? Whats Jason Taylor? A piece of celery?:crazy:
It's only the Illawarra Mercury, I wouldnt take it literally. On the other hand, this is the Dragons, and I wouldn't put it past them. Jason Taylor is the best choice by far, surely the club is considering him. Surely

Smurf

Juniors
Options 1 and 2 and 3
Mary and Daley Joint Coaches
Mary ( Coach ) and Sheens. ( Coaching Director )
Mary ( Coach ) and Parish. ( Assistant Coach )

Slippery Morris

First Grade
It's good Saints are not rushing into a decision just yet. They should wait and see at the end of the season. Give Mary 5 more weeks to prove himslef.

jenninga

First Grade
It's good Saints are not rushing into a decision just yet. They should wait and see at the end of the season. Give Mary 5 more weeks to prove himslef.

Reckon he's already proven he can lift the team from the depths of where we were,the question remains whether he can assemble and get a team to a premiership .
Doubt it very much

twinkletoes

Juniors

But Slippery if he doesn't prove himself we are left with the choice of "Who's left on the shelf" after all the other clubs have made there first preferred selections...I hope he does prove himself but the club is setting itself up again to get the leftovers

dragonreddy

Juniors
Reckon he's already proven he can lift the team from the depths of where we were,the question remains whether he can assemble and get a team to a premiership .
Doubt it very much

Agree 100%, I think we have been watching the team play so poorly for a long time that what we see now looks to be the goods to some.

The reality is we can't put away the teams that count and this may be as good as it gets from Mary.
He may take the foot off the pedal a bit as well ,once he has a secure contract ,he played down his appointment at the start by saying he didn't know if he wanted the job ,so that cooled everyone's expectation of him and now he is seen by some as performing beyond expectation ,so he should be the long term appointment.

Just doesn't have the coaching experience to mould this team into a genuine premiership threat.
The thing is that if he is appointed he won't be under much scrutiny early next season as he will have this half season under his belt and if we start like we usually do could end up being another lost year like the last 2 and probably this one.

Last edited:

pinkmoon

Juniors
Another bonus to snaring Jason Taylor would be the relationship he has with the Roosters players...eventually the cap is going to force some of them out and maybe JT can operate in the same manner as Ivan Cleary and bring em over to his new club :D

maple_69

Bench
Haven't followed this thread but what are your thoughts on Nathan Brown coming back? Had an encouraging stint in ESL.

hazzbeen

Bench
Agree 100%, I think we have been watching the team play so poorly for a long time that what we see now looks to be the goods to some.

The reality is we can't put away the teams that count and this may be as good as it gets from Mary.
He may take the foot off the pedal a bit as well ,once he has a secure contract ,he played down his appointment at the start by saying he didn't know if he wanted the job ,so that cooled everyone's expectation of him and now he is seen by some as an performing beyond expectation ,so he should be the long term appointment.

Just doesn't have the coaching experience to mould this team into a genuine premiership threat.
The thing is that if he is appointed he won't be under much scrutiny early next season as he will have this half season under his belt and if we start like we usually do could end up being another lost year like the last 2 and probably this one.

Spot on mate. They were always going to appoint Mary. Just like Mary said he did not want the job.....

Latest posts