What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who would you like to see appointed as Dragons Coach for 2015 on

Who would you like to see appointed as Dragons Coach from 2015 on

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TruSaint

Referee
I know its the Lurker but put it up as a FYI,

Dragons backroom issues

The St George Illawarra board is torn over the future of caretaker coach Paul McGregor.

The Dragons? two losses in the past fortnight showed why there was a reluctance to make an early call on the coaching job.

There is again a push to bring Kangaroos coach Tim Sheens out of club retirement, at least in a coaching director?s role now that his dispute with the Tigers has been settled.

Trouble is, Saints are struggling financially and can?t afford Sheens and another first grade coach.

http://www.sportal.com.au/league/nr...umour-file---monday/f7b7asmghc4x14h2ewvbo29ga

Thanks for that Dub's.
I am very concerned re this constant babble on our financial health.
Raises the question, how could we have afforded to chase Wayne?
Third party agreements aside, it seems we are hanging on by the smell of an oily rag.

dragonreddy

Juniors
Thanks for that Dub's.
I am very concerned re this constant babble on our financial health.
Raises the question, how could we have afforded to chase Wayne?
Third party agreements aside, it seems we are hanging on by the smell of an oily rag.

Where there's smoke there's fire Tru,they did go cap in hand for an advance from the NRL at the start of the season,not good financial practice to be scrapping for money at all.

TruSaint

Referee
Where there's smoke there's fire Tru,they did go cap in hand for an advance from the NRL at the start of the season,not good financial practice to be scrapping for money at all.

Agree Reddy.
Tough times head me thinks.
What the f.. has happened to this iconic club.

possm

Coach
Yeeees,
I think you posted the same about Bennett just recently.

I've always had Bennett as my preferred choice however, I have always put Sheens as next choice.

Sheens is now a long way ahead of what is available for 2015. A two year deal with an option for another two would see the Dragons through these horrid times and back near the top of the ladder where we belong.

Last edited:

dragonreddy

Juniors
Agree Reddy.

Complacency and people running the joint who have a keener eye on their super balance running into retirement, rather than people who are progressive and proactive rather than reactive.

That's A couple of things to start with.

Last edited:

Dragonbaal

Juniors
As soon as I heard on my sunday morning walk that matthews had dropped of the bench and hunt was in I knew we were doomed, and it didn't take long for him to have an impact on the game-two dumb penalties and going around the penrif hookers legs on the line!!! He went off with a back injury?? My ass, he was sacked and macgregor just wanted to save face and not look like a complete dummy by replacing a player that has been giving his guts for the last 4 weeks with an also ran from 5 years ago.

I have been an advocate for quinlan for weeks, but no more-he cost us a try in the manly game with a ridiculous pass to morris 10 metres out from the line, then on sunday two howlers-kicks on the 1ST TACKLE, and throws a pass 10 metres out again that dan marino would be proud of. Time for duges to go back to fb, and time for macgregor to get him backing up merrin, creagh etc when they are begging to get the ball away to a support and there is NO ONE within cooee of them!

Why is marshall not taking the line on ? He did against the rorters and hey presto, he scores. Yesterday there was a yawning gap in front of him but he passes to dugan, and then when he did decide to have a run he nearly got through.

I am a mere female and even I can see these things can easily be fixed with some decent coaching.

Wake up Mary!!

TruSaint

Referee
As soon as I heard on my sunday morning walk that matthews had dropped of the bench and hunt was in I knew we were doomed, and it didn't take long for him to have an impact on the game-two dumb penalties and going around the penrif hookers legs on the line!!! He went off with a back injury?? My ass, he was sacked and macgregor just wanted to save face and not look like a complete dummy by replacing a player that has been giving his guts for the last 4 weeks with an also ran from 5 years ago.

I have been an advocate for quinlan for weeks, but no more-he cost us a try in the manly game with a ridiculous pass to morris 10 metres out from the line, then on sunday two howlers-kicks on the 1ST TACKLE, and throws a pass 10 metres out again that dan marino would be proud of. Time for duges to go back to fb, and time for macgregor to get him backing up merrin, creagh etc when they are begging to get the ball away to a support and there is NO ONE within cooee of them!

Why is marshall not taking the line on ? He did against the rorters and hey presto, he scores. Yesterday there was a yawning gap in front of him but he passes to dugan, and then when he did decide to have a run he nearly got through.

I am a mere female and even I can see these things can easily be fixed with some decent coaching.

Wake up Mary!!

Solid and fair post. Well said.

Redvpassion

Juniors
Agree Reddy.

DOUST AS OUR CEO. Says it all.

The guy couldnt sign a coach when we needed one and was handed to us on a silver platter, let alone run a club.

Last edited:

Saintsified

Bench
I know its the Lurker but put it up as a FYI,

Dragons backroom issues

The St George Illawarra board is torn over the future of caretaker coach Paul McGregor.

The Dragons? two losses in the past fortnight showed why there was a reluctance to make an early call on the coaching job.

There is again a push to bring Kangaroos coach Tim Sheens out of club retirement, at least in a coaching director?s role now that his dispute with the Tigers has been settled.

Trouble is, Saints are struggling financially and can?t afford Sheens and another first grade coach.

http://www.sportal.com.au/league/nr...umour-file---monday/f7b7asmghc4x14h2ewvbo29ga

How is it we can't afford sheens but could afford 3m for Wayne ?

watatank

Coach
It looks like there is money available that is dependent on signing Bennett (or Bellamy or someone of that reputation) but not others.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
If we were prepared to offer Bennett 1 mil per season, Sheens is worth at least 700k. Not sure what his previous contract with the Tigers was, some have suggested it was around 500k per season.

It's pretty simple, he needs to be signed. Sheens will be going for glory, 3 comps with 3 different clubs, so the motivation should be there.

blacksafake

First Grade
I know its the Lurker but put it up
Dragons backroom issues

The Dragons’ two losses in the past fortnight showed why there was a reluctance to make an early call on the coaching job.

There is again a push to bring Kangaroos coach Tim Sheens out of club retirement, at least in a coaching director’s role now that his dispute with the Tigers has been settled.

Why not just sign Sheens?

Trouble is, Saints are struggling financially and can’t afford Sheens and another first grade coach.

Wake up Mary!!

Hey I'm a mere male - D'ya wanna meet??

matPORTS

Juniors
If I you were to put your hat on as an "Independent Advisor" to the board with regard to who should be coaching us in 2015 and beyond, what would you be saying? Here goes:

The head coach is ultimately responsible for the week-to-week on-field performances of the team as well as the future development of the team.

First of all, what performance objectives does the board have for the team? Short- term (current season) and long-term (normally over the next 3-5 years)?

What plans does our future coach have to ensure that we are competitive week-to-week? Do we have effective support staff and does the coach himself have a good independent support network which he can rely on for sound advice outside of the club (all the best coaches in the game have solid support networks both inside and outside their clubs - this is no secret)?

Does he have an effective recruitment and retention strategy in place to ensure we have a solid team foundation and depth in place to cover for injuries/rep footy for the upcoming season? This is short-term planning.

What are the plans to transition out contracted players who are at the back end of their careers, or quite simply out of their depth but still on long contracts? This is long-term planning (and one of my concerns about having too many 'old boys' coaching and managing within this club - I understand that loyalty may be one of our club values but some players need to be tapped on the shoulder sooner than what has been happening).

twinkletoes

Juniors
Weren't those key issues to be examined at the end of last season in their comprehensive review of football operations and strategies put in place to ensure we meet key performance targets this year and beyond.....Well I've got news for the management, we haven't progressed. The only conclusion one can draw from that is that the management group responsible for that review and the implementation of the recommended strategies is TOTALLY INCOMPETENT...

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
It wasn't all our money we were going to spend on Bennett so I imagine our benefactor would expect to anticipate the commercial success that the new coach would bring. Theres only a few coaches that would bring that

Do you think Sheens "Would bring that"?

Latest posts