What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why can't rugby league get a crowd like that???

sooperdooper

First Grade
Misty Bee said:
Just because it's bigger doesn't mean it's more passionate. I can't reecall a Soccer player defying a broken limb to keep playing. Looking at the fairies last night they'd be pleading for morphine if they'd chip a nail.

I also reckon there is plenty of Olympians that would disagree with your statemnt as well.

so you judge a game on how passionate it is on if people play with injuries?

these guys who played last night are world class athletes. som who play up to 50 or matches a year! plus training.

it being bigger does not make it more passionate? but how many sports in this world can have a genuine world cup? you could show a soccer ball to any kid in the world and they know what it represents, could you do that with a rugby league ball?

i think it is more passionate, due to the history, country representation, quality. and the diverse ethnic communities who live for the game, how many people in this forum say they live only for rugby league. doe our country revolve around league? do we depend on our teams to perform to live?

other countries do

sooperdooper

First Grade
Weasels Ripped My Flesh said:
That game last night reminded me of why i don't follow soccer in Australia...BORING! You know how in a rugby league match when a team scores alot of points early on in the game you think of it as 'the points scored vs the clock' (eg: it's 16-0 after 12 minutes) - the same thing applied to that game last night but with penalties instead of points...even Rugby Yawnion is more fast-paced then that...and thats saying somthing!

you can have your own opinion in which your entitled to

Surely

Post Whore
Raider_69 said:
Same reason the English crowds went nuts when they won the ashes
when your THAT long between drinks it makes the moment that much better
the cronulla fans will go wild too if they ever win a comp... all 20 of them

Quite ironic comming from a raiders fan wouldn't u say :)

JW

Coach
sooperdooper said:
you have done research have you?
i would bet my arm and leg soccer jerseys would out sell NRL and AFL jerseys combined in Australia.

Source?

Thomas

First Grade
JW said:

He's "betting" JW...not stating. He doesn't need to provide a source if its opinion....although he is wrong....

I very much doubt soccer jersey's outsell AFL and NRL jerseys combined. No way....

Balmain_Boy

sooperdooper said:
you have done research have you?
i would bet my arm and leg soccer jerseys would out sell NRL and AFL jerseys combined in Australia.

:lol::lol:

You are dead set kidding yourself mate.

Trollhammaren

Juniors
Soccer is #1 and Basketball is #2 for junior participation, and they are like an ant compared to the NRL and AFL at national level. I think that tells you pretty clearly that parents do not want their young kids playing contact sports if they can. I wasn't allowed to play league when I was young, but I played Bball.

Anyway there is a soccer bandwagon every 4 years in this country, only this time it will last another 6 months.

Brutus

Referee
I'm going to the next A League game in Sydney after last night's sensation. This great new game is really exciting. I think Aussies will take to it.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Brutus said:
I'm going to the next A League game in Sydney after last night's sensation. This great new game is really exciting. I think Aussies will take to it.

why?
Not many, if ANY of our nations lattest sporting heros will feature in that match, instead you'll be 'treated' to a sub par game of Soccer, filled with mostly Bulgareilli's, Gafa's and Tweedle's of Australia Soccer as all the good ones are over seas

Paullyboy

Coach
tiger pride said:
Soccer is #1 and Basketball is #2 for junior participation, .

I dont have any figures but I find it very hard to believe netball and cricket are not ahead of basketball.

Raider_69

Post Whore
I seem to vaguely recall reading somewhere that netball was #1 for junior participation, and recently getting down to penrith netball abit to watch the missus go around i think it'd go close if not #1

ali

Bench
I go to the Rugby League Test match to see a good match. I just like the sport, the hits, back line moves etc. But the difference last night, is that this is the world game. This is the one event that most world sporting fans want to see their nation get into. It's huge. I quite like soccer, but not as much as League. But the stakes were so high that I've never been so fired up for an event. It was awesome. Unfortunately as much as I want international RL to take off, we'll never match that passion when we only have 3 strong nations on the field.

Bumble

First Grade
Misty Bee said:
It was like a game of Union - 300 penalties and the game decided by goals

Misty....every game of football (soccer) is decided on goals. :roll:

panthersballboy said:
That is rubbish the crowd was loud for the first 10 minutes, after we scored and during extra time and the penalty shoot out. During Origin the crowd is loud the whole game, because lets face it league games give the fans more action to cheer about.

What the hell game were you watching? I was there and it was crazy the entire night from the moment I got there which was about an hour before kickoff.

Balmain_Boy

Face it, the average Australian LOVES contact in their sport. They're never going to get used to blokes going down like there's sniper fire - especially when noone's touched them. Fair dinkum I'm glad Australia made it through. We can't really call ourselves a top sporting nation until we suceed in the world's most widely played sport. It's great for the all the country's soccer supporters as well.

BUT, if they think Soccer is going to suddenly appeal to the masses, they're having a lend. They have to appeal League/AFL/Union loving bloke. If me and my mates are an indication of the norm, it's won't happen. That was the first full game of soccer i've watched and I'll tell you what, I won't be watching any non-australian matches is if that's a what the game is usually like.

Having said that, soccer fans should enjoy the moment. If you feel anything like I felt after the Tiger's efforts, you must be lapping it up.