What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

why dont nrl crowds sing/chant?

papabear

Juniors
I go with 2 friends of mine to Brisbane Roar games and I asked them to come along to a Broncos match. Just before the game, one of them says to me "there's double the people here than at a Brisbane Roar game, It's going to be so noisy" I told him "it may seem that way but Roar crowds are way louder, just wait until a few minutes after kick off". 2 minutes into the game and theres absolute dead silence. In football, the singing doesn't stop.

It's called atmosphere, it's what makes going to games worth it. Rugby League has a massive problem with it and it doesn't help that you all think you're too cool to chant/sing/show any emotion for the team you support.

If you go with kids, one must make a respectable role model for them and not act like a complete drop kick.

carcharias

Immortal
because two hands= two beers = no room for holding up of signs
one mouth = for pouring beer into.

unless we all work together and drink at the same time we'll never chant in unison.

plus it is gay

juro

Bench
The thing I dread most when I go to a sporting event where Australia is competing is the AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE OI OI OI chant.

Give me something decent to chant and I'd be happy to join in.

Canard

Immortal
Because NRL fans, in general, are lazy.

People will get upset at that - but it's undeniable.

Too true

Newcastle-fan-belly.jpg

PARRA_FAN

Coach
The thing I dread most when I go to a sporting event where Australia is competing is the AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE OI OI OI chant.

Give me something decent to chant and I'd be happy to join in.

You're not the only one.

I went to the Asian Cup final and a couple of people tried to start that chant but not many people got into it.

The chants they got into it were, "CMON AUSSIE CMON CMON" and "LETS GO AUSSIE LETS GO"

And of course there was the occasional "OLE OLE OLE AUSSIE"

Last edited:

2010Dragons

Bench
Most people (but not everone) are so drunk before the games, they can't even remember who they are supporting. How do you expect them to remember a song/chant?

_Johnsy

Referee
watching nrl on premier over here in uk a big difference seems to be the way the supporters get behind the team- over here theres a lot of mass singing and chanting etc where huge parts of the crowd join in, is it just a culture thing? nrl crowds seem very subdued

A few reasons;
1) There is stuff happening on the field,
2) Rarely do we have prima donas taking dives as if they have been shot by a sniper,
3) RL is one of, if not the most physically demanding (impact without padding) in the world,
4) It's not soccer.
5) We're not English.

Hope this helps.

rabbitohs95

Bench
1. Crowds aren't compact enough to be heard, and even in smaller stadiums there aren't massive walls to help the sound echo, they've usually just got small stands or hills i.e. Penrith, Cronulla, Leichhardt, Kograh

2. Too much going on the field, pretty sure football fans chant because 90% of the time there's nothing going on.

3. NRL atmospheres suck

4. No good chants

5. No real need to chant

Gotta admit though, the crowds at the WCC sounded awesome even though I was watching it on tv. Only thing close i've come to was the crowds in the finals this year.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
In 1999 the ARU got John Williamson to sing Waltzing Matlida before the match, and the crowd responded by singing it unaided during the match when we knew we had won in 1999. It was a very good experience.

This is the sort of thing that we could do to educate fans, and get 4-5 songs for each club that they all know and can sing along to, to show pride etc. You would only need to get some entertainer in to play one song a week (who cares who it is, plenty of time before matches for some pre match entertainment, maybe a couple of there songs, and then one of the selected club songs).

Members of clubs could probably do voting etc to decide which of the songs they would like to learn first, and see if it catches on.

Yeh, the reason i like the idea of Waltzing Matilda is that it inspires the dumb patriotism that makes everyone want to sing (something Advance Australia Fair fails miserably at doing).

Id personally like to see the NRL bring in the local military band to perform the tune with no lead singer; it could be presented as "support our armed forces", WM is a military marching song and without a lead singer i reckon the crowd would feel obligated to sing along.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qwK09P0soo

Also they could have flag-bearers holding banners for the Country, State, competing Teams, NRL competition, etc. which would great!!!

Suitman

Post Whore
Its a valid question.

I travelled over to the Knights vs Warriors game at Newy?

Their chant? New-Castle *clap clap clap New-Castle *clap clap clap?

The Warriors chant at home? Warr-iors * clap clap clap Warr-iors * clap clap clap

Are Australian and NZ supporters really that unimaginative ?

Yes.

Because NRL fans, in general, are lazy.

People will get upset at that - but it's undeniable.

It's not just NRL fans.
It's sports fan in general in this country. And don't they get defensive when challenged on this issue!! lol.

some11

Referee
A shopping centre at 9am on a weekday has more atmosphere than a game at Suncorp.

Except for Origin, Origin is always loud.. mainly because people are shitfaced hours before it starts.

macavity

Referee
Its a valid question.

I travelled over to the Knights vs Warriors game at Newy?

Their chant? New-Castle *clap clap clap New-Castle *clap clap clap?

The Warriors chant at home? Warr-iors * clap clap clap Warr-iors * clap clap clap

Are Australian and NZ supporters really that unimaginative ?

There is no clap In the Newcastle chant...

bottle

Coach
It's not just NRL fans.
It's sports fan in general in this country. And don't they get defensive when challenged on this issue!! lol.

That's just bullshit!! How dare you say that. We are the bestest fans ever.