What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

why dont nrl crowds sing/chant?

You seen those A League wankers?

They don't watch the game, Just stand looking back at others in the crowd.

I pay to actually watch the game

Evidence supporting that is how the "Red and Black" block carried on when the Wanderers clamped down on bad behaviour at its home games, especially involving flares being smuggled in and set off by members of the R&B Block. A number of the R&B members carried on publicly as if they were the attraction for being at the ground.

Reflector

Juniors
The second reply to this thread was correct BTW.

For whatever reasons it’s not a phenomena that developed in Australian culture, and there’s nothing wrong with that.

I’d speculate that it’s not a thing in Australia because a high percentage of soccer matches are snoozefests and the crowd needed way to entertain themselves.
It's a cultural thing. You watch European basketball games and the atmosphere is just the same as football, people jumping up and down and singing non-stop and even the odd smoke bomb.

North American and Australian sporting crowds are too apathetic for one reason or another. Happy to just follow the jumbotron going "DEEE-FENCE! DEEE-FENCE!" or "(TEAM NAME)" with clapping in between

The Great Dane

First Grade
Except it’s the same at union, Cricket and league games as well.
These days sure, but active support culture of the sort we’re talking about has its roots in soccer.

It’s also not a coincidence that you only see it in cultures where soccer is the major sport IMO. It’s almost universally not a thing in countries where soccer is a minority sport, or was a minority sport until recently.
it’s weird as the usually reserved British let loose at sports games and the usually gregarious Aussies suddenly become shy and quiet!
That’s because the average Aussie isn’t stupid enough to pay someone else to entertain them only to ignore them and entertain themselves…

The Great Dane

First Grade
It's a cultural thing. You watch European basketball games and the atmosphere is just the same as football, people jumping up and down and singing non-stop and even the odd smoke bomb.

North American and Australian sporting crowds are too apathetic for one reason or another. Happy to just follow the jumbotron going "DEEE-FENCE! DEEE-FENCE!" or "(TEAM NAME)" with clapping in between
Nothing to do with apathy, hell one could argue that intently watching the sport shows way more investment in the actual sport than using it as an excuse to jump around in the stands…

BTW, European basketball culture is well recorded as being an import from soccer. As basketball’s profile grew in Europe Ultras and active support groups that supported multi sport clubs started showing up to support the club at basketball games as well, and it grew from there.

Perth Red

Post Whore
These days sure, but active support culture of the sort we’re talking about has its roots in soccer.

It’s also not a coincidence that you only see it in cultures where soccer is the major sport IMO. It’s almost universally not a thing in countries where soccer is a minority sport, or was a minority sport until recently.

That’s because the average Aussie isn’t stupid enough to pay someone else to entertain them only to ignore them and entertain themselves…
whilst they dont sing per se the noise and atamosphere at nfl and college games is often pretty good in usa,

No but they’ll sit on their phone or chatting to each other about nothing all the game. Ask players what they prefer and what gives them a boost to perform better.

SBD82

Coach
whilst they dont sing per se the noise and atamosphere at nfl and college games is often pretty good in usa,

No but they’ll sit on their phone or chatting to each other about nothing all the game. Ask players what they prefer and what gives them a boost to perform better.
This makes a lot of sense.

I usually go to the footy with my old man. Chat to him about what’s going on because he knows the game.

If I had to go to the footy with a bunch of poms who knew f**k all about the game it wouldn’t be worth talking to them. Might as well have a singalong.

Perth Red

Post Whore

I usually go to the footy with my old man. Chat to him about what’s going on because he knows the game.

If I had to go to the footy with a bunch of poms who knew f**k all about the game it wouldn’t be worth talking to them. Might as well have a singalong.
Haha you late blow ins, remind me where the game was born again?
it’s scientifically proven having a group sing along is good for mental health, maybe cheer you up if you had a go?

Haha you late blow ins, remind me where the game was born again?
it’s scientifically proven having a group sing along is good for mental health, maybe cheer you up if you had a go?
It definitely works. Having 80k people sing Up, Up, Cronulla in 2016 was a glorious feeling!!

Iamback

Coach

Spot on, Replace old man with Brother. Then trying to teach the nephew about the game.
Still have time to boo the refs like anyone should

westerntiger

Juniors
Because it's a soccer thing. And we also don't have the cringe AFL-style team songs being blared at the games.

Although the day when Tigers fans wake up and start chanting 'Justin out', fair enough

If that meant anything England would be good at League.

And yet here we are.

They used to be, until the late 1970s. League in Australia raced past them by 1982 and as the premier league playing nation (competition wise) and England have been lagging behind since.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If that meant anything England would be good at League.

And yet here we are.
It’s almost like soccer doesn’t exist in England and they should have opened up a load of pokie dens in council estates in the 80’s to keep pace.

Latest posts