What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is the NFL so successful

Agreed. But looking at Adrian Peterson he seems pretty fit to me.

adrianpeterson.jpg

I love watching AD play
I remember watching him in a college game and thinking he was a man playing amongst boys. I have even heard one scout say he was the only NFL ready high school player he had ever seen.

Good highlights of AD college days. I still can't believe he was only taken 7th in the draft ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP5RgOy5fjA&feature=player_embedded

Lambretta

First Grade
It's also hilarious that people think I'm a soccer fan because I don't like the NFL. What a profound argument. I hate soccer. But atleast it's a constant game. Something you can't say about the NFL. 2 hours of adverts and an hour of someone throwing a ball forward.

Sometimes, it's better to say nothing and have people think you're an idiot than to speak and to remove all doubt

;-)

American Football takes about 3 hours to play and during those three hours there will be about 60 minutes of clock running plus another 30 - 60 minutes of relevant on field things occuring where ad's are not being shown. Then there's about 20 minutes of scheduled breaks for quarter time, half time etc.

The actual play time of a 60 minute game is about 90 minutes as the clock is stopped whenever someone goes over the side line or an incomplete pass is thrown etc. But these events do not an ad break commence.

But all that aside, just because you don't like something, or rather, don't understand something, it doesn't make it rubbish.

There are large numbers of people outside of the US that love American Football, both here in Oz and over in the UK. The fact that the NFL sells out a game each year at Wembley (and could sell out far more) is testament to it's popularity in the UK.

Joker's Wild

Coach
And my Location is blank because I travel. A foreign concept to many of you xenophobic Australians I know, but take a few minutes to try and grasp the concept.

Australians are some of the most well traveled people on the planet you ignorant git. Your comments are laughable given the average UKer under the age of 30 has never even left their own county.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sometimes, it's better to say nothing and have people think you're an idiot than to speak and to remove all doubt

;-)

American Football takes about 3 hours to play and during those three hours there will be about 60 minutes of clock running plus another 30 - 60 minutes of relevant on field things occuring where ad's are not being shown. Then there's about 20 minutes of scheduled breaks for quarter time, half time etc.

The actual play time of a 60 minute game is about 90 minutes as the clock is stopped whenever someone goes over the side line or an incomplete pass is thrown etc. But these events do not an ad break commence.

But all that aside, just because you don't like something, or rather, don't understand something, it doesn't make it rubbish.

There are large numbers of people outside of the US that love American Football, both here in Oz and over in the UK. The fact that the NFL sells out a game each year at Wembley (and could sell out far more) is testament to it's popularity in the UK.

well said, I was in London in the early 90's when the world league kicked off and used to go see the Monarchs with around 60,000 other people every other week. Real shame they couldn't get the TV deals to sustain it as it could have been a huge success and moved AF on to a world stage.

Teddyboy

First Grade
I american guy at the Gym i use is a big NFL fan and supports New England and he thinks Rugby Union is messy and doesn't know whats going on most times while Soccer is just quite boring and soft but he really likes Rugby League but doesn't understand why it gets low crowds as he watches Super League on Sky and has yet to see the NRL.He said a mad thing that he would love to see a hybrid American Football/Rugby League type of game.
Oh and he has seen Aussie Rules and he thinks it 's f**king stupid.
As i said Rugby League is the missing link between Rugby Union and American Football.

Last edited:

bobmar28

Bench
I american guy at the Gym i use is a big NFL fan and supports New England and he thinks Rugby Union is messy and doesn't know whats going on most times while Soccer is just quite boring and soft but he really likes Rugby League but doesn't understand why it gets low crowds as he watches Super League on Sky and has yet to see the NRL.He said a mad thing that he would love to see a hybrid American Football/Rugby League type of game.
Oh and he has seen Aussie Rules and he thinks it 's f**king stupid.
As i said Rugby League is the missing link between Rugby Union and American Football.

Give him a DVD of the Bulldogs v Eels final. Or he could youtube it.

Simo

First Grade
I remember reading somewhere that the Green Bay Packers have a season ticket waiting list of over 35,000 people? Can anyone add anything to that?

The Green Bay Packers are very unique in that they are the only community owned team, they are not a franchise owned by a wealthy consortium, they remind me a bit of Newcastle in the NRL in that the community really supports them but they dont have the big Russell Crowe type owners - they are a community owned team.

Hence the waiting list as the community is a part of the side. Its a great story, particularly in the American context of coprorate everything.

gottabegood said:
Considering their national pastime for so many years was baseball, anything would seem exciting...even the slower than cricket American Football.
Speaking to Americans they tell me that is just a saying and that the NFL dwarfs baseball. Im told baseball is predominately biggest on the East Coast where as the NFL is big time nation wide.

RugbyHighlights

Juniors

;-)

The crowd numbers in the UK are testament to nothing but the Yank vermin that populate the london area.

The Wembley games are nothing but overweight Americans and teenagers who've watched too much MTV. Nothing more.

Not to mention the millions the NFL spends on advertising for the one game. Australia vs New Zealand in League could sell out Wembley with the same money to waste.

RugbyHighlights

Juniors
Australians are some of the most well traveled people on the planet you ignorant git. Your comments are laughable given the average UKer under the age of 30 has never even left their own county.

Unfortunately that's a lie:lol: The number of Australians with a passport is remarkebly low when compared to English people. You're more comparable to Americans in that you think your country is the best and don't travel much, when you do it's to noather state:roll:

And over 80% of people in the UK have been abroad by the time they're 30.

The fact you feel the need to lie shows that you're embarassed by your nations xenophobia and global ignorance.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Unfortunately that's a lie:lol: The number of Australians with a passport is remarkebly low when compared to English people. You're more comparable to Americans in that you think your country is the best and don't travel much, when you do it's to noather state:roll:

The fact you feel the need to lie shows that you're embarassed by your nations xenophobia and global ignorance.
I think it's more to do with the landscape of each country than to do with the mentality of the citizens within it. It's not hard for an englishman to get in a car and drive to france, or pay $80-90 and get on a flight to most western european countries. It's the same situation with the US, unless you're either on the southern or northern part of the country, you've got a lot of traveling to do to leave the country.

I think you'll find that what jokers wild was referring to was that many australians when they travel overseas tend to travel further distances and do continents instead of just isolating themselves to one country. Good luck finding an aussie that goes to france for a one or two week holiday... Most goto europe for a minimum of 6-8 weeks.

But congratulations, you've made yourself look like an arrogant twat. But before you go off I've traveled through europe, north america and many parts of asia.

Last edited:

Joker's Wild

Coach

You've sh*t canned Australians and Americans here yet have the gall to call my country "Xenophobic" :lol:

I have travelled to every continent barring Antarctica champ. Im sure its easy to hop in the car and drive across the tunnel and chalk up another "overseas" holiday for the average UK resident but throwing up your 80% is bullsh*t Im willing to call on.

Shorty

Staff member
LOL Of course it's easy for Poms to travel, just hop on the train to f**king France.
I mean, if you're so willing to trout this bullsh*t, where are your links to hard cold facts?
I know trolls are usually this obnoxious but the arrogance is even more amusing, I sense a major inferior complex.

BLKOUT!

Juniors
I don't like the NFL, I can't sit through a game. I appreciate the athletisism of most of the players but it goes for so long. I'm a huge basketball fan but I struggle with NBA games too purely because of the amount of adverts and time-outs. That being said you've got to admire how they run their businesses. Particularly David Stern and the NBA, he is really proactive with a lot of his decision making.

Hanscholo

Bench
The NFL seems to buck nearly every trend that all other sporting competitions use, yet its one of the best run and successful competitions in world sport.

-No sponsorship on jerseys

-No Sponsorship logos on the field

-They dont change uniforms every season to force fans to buy new jerseys

-Black outs into local markets if the game isnt a sell out, would cost them millions in advertising dollars.

-16 game season, lengthening the season by 8 weeks would make them millions in tv deals and gates.

I believe some English Premier League owners have been observing how the NFL is run, perhaps David Gallop could as well.

it doesnt hurt to have one team cities the size of Melbourne for each club either hey...

The rest is all bullsh*t mate...its successfull because the market is vast.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Oh, please - "waah! The game is too long and there are too many ads!"

The words "channel Nine's coverage of Test match cricket" mean anything to you?

Eelementary

Post Whore
Also, a massive reason for the popularity of the NFL is college ball - fans follow college ball in the US devoutly. Maybe even more so than the NFL itself. You have several colleges in the US, all of which will supply players to the NFL and along with them you will have their fanatical fans following those players' progress in the NFL. No other sporting league in the world can boast this - who can honestly tell me that other leagues can boast a fanatical following to an essentially amateur league? None.

The NFL is admired throughout the world? Outside of the North America the Superbowl receives only 20 million international viewers. Is that admiration lmao?

I'll tell you right now as a fact, if the NRL had the money the NFL enjoys it would blow the NFL away internationally.

The NFL is the only sport in the world that's enjoyed absolutely ZERO international growth, despite the fact it's the richest league in the world. That's embarassing. League makes as much progress and we're broke:lol:

And the only reason the NFL sells out in London is because London is over run by fat yank tourists. And pretty much the entire u16 population of London wants to be American. As I said its brainwashing on a massive scale and 99.9% of people grow out of it. It's sad that you haven't.

The same people at NFL games sit around in their house watching baseball, nhl and mma.

They're yank-beggers.

mate, you suck.

You cannot hide behind your bigoted opinion. What you are saying is utter trash. I mainly read it for laughs, and this post, while true and integrity-written, is just for kicks. I'd thought I'd tell you what a joke you are.

You have serious issues if you think that coming on here makes any difference, or indeed if you think what you assert is actually healthy.

Each to his own. You need to get over it.

Here is an interesting quote from the wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League

"The NFL has the highest per-game attendance of any domestic professional sports league in the world, drawing over 67,000 spectators per game for each of its two most recently completed seasons, 2006[20] and 2007.[21] However, the NFL's overall attendance is only approximately 20% of Major League Baseball, due to the latter's longer schedule (162-game scheduled regular season)."

Dont forget the regular nfl season runs from september to december (and playoffs until fedbruary....28 games + 4 exibitions and an all star game) Its pretty short. But its clear, no other sport captures america's imagination like the NFL. It is undoubtedly the most popular league in the world, and the richest, despite being mainly popular in just one country.

Do you get that, rugbyhighlights? Despite its geographical limitations, it still kicks soccers ass, and anything else.

Dont forget guys, even tho there is no team in L.A....there are 3 teams in California.

And remember off the top of my head America's 3 big cities have 8, 4 and 3 million each. Then a couple of 2 million cities, then about 10 one million cities. Then another 40 or so with populations around 250,000 - 500,000. With college football, most major centers are covered.

To give you a rough idea, its got about 40 cities the size of the Gold Coast or Woolongong. England is not that well endowed. No other country is on earth.

We are all human....If you were actually there, a part of that culture, and all, you'd understand that 300 million people cannot be wrong about the NFL. And btw, even with all the money in the world, it would take league 200 years to be the number one code. League is great, but culture is a great force too. The world is a different place than the one which predominantly colonial-driven-sports spread in the early late 1800's and 1900's.

Last edited:

BLKOUT!

Juniors
I don't think football/soccer and the NFL is really a fair comparison to make from either side. There's so many more football teams, the countries the sport is most popular in are generally geographically smaller than the USA and fans are generally pretty loyal to their teams no matter what league they are playing in or how successful they get. I understand the Lions were still selling out games when they went 0-16 but if they were in a 2nd or 3rd division would they still sell out that stadium? Plus you have to add in the fact that there's so many more games in football than the NFL, in most leagues anyway.

So more games + more teams + smaller population vs 32 teams + 16 regular season games + bigger population... the pool is diluted in football. That's not a knock on the NFL but it's a pretty strange comparison to make really.

Latest posts