What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why little mention of the CQ NRL bid?

Should the NRL introduce two new teams

• Total voters

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Are you sure you aren't a f**king St George fan?

Only those halfwits would want us gone as they'd attempt to poach our area.

This is exactly why your team is redundant. Because given 5 or 10 years with the Sharks gone from the come, cronulla would just be St George territory.

The only people that would be lost to the game are all of the cronulla die hards, but looking at the crowds over the history of your clubs existance, there is probably a few thousand of you.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
So do we, do the names Chad Towsend, Stewart Mills, Matt Hilder, Kevin Kingston, Cameron Ciraldo, Tyrone Peachey, Mitch Brown, David Simmons, James Hasson ring any bells to you?

They all came out of the Cronulla Junior League.

You are talking out of your arse if you think we don't produce juniors.

This is based on the assumption that these guy wouldnt have moved through the grades without the Sharks, but the Dragons have one of the best junior systems in the country, they'd love the chance to get into cornulla.

Mr. Sharky

Juniors
This is exactly why your team is redundant. Because given 5 or 10 years with the Sharks gone from the come, cronulla would just be St George territory.

The only people that would be lost to the game are all of the cronulla die hards, but looking at the crowds over the history of your clubs existance, there is probably a few thousand of you.

Few thousand? We averaged 13,470 this year you f**king merkin.

Which incidentally was higher than the Dragqueens this year with your measly 12,423.

Just a pity Parramatta were hopeless this year.

It would've been f**king priceless to see your St Merge Fagqueens smacked with the wooden spoon.

It would've been just what the arrogant St Merge mob needed.

Last edited:

Mr. Sharky

Juniors
This is based on the assumption that these guy wouldnt have moved through the grades without the Sharks, but the Dragons have one of the best junior systems in the country, they'd love the chance to get into cornulla.

Well you aren't getting your f**king dirty little paws on our juniors.

We don't want the Big Gay V in our territory.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Fact is I couldn't give a rat's arse about the NRL if Cronulla aren't in the competition.

Then your a hopeless excuse for a RL fan. No player is bigger then the team! And that is all that the clubs, the NRL, the ARLC, etc are, they're just players in the RL team.

It would mean nothing to me if my club wasn't in the competition.

This makes no sense to me because you claim to have a great love for the Sharks but you also claim that you wouldn't follow them to the NSW cup.

It seem to me that your love for the Sharks only go's as far as is convenient for you.

You're a dickhead of the highest order to tell Cronulla fans that we have no right to be in the competition.

No club has a right to be in the competition not even the Raiders, every club has to continually earn their spot in the NRL.

Yes I care more about my own club than that of the competition itself.

Other than having a passing interest in Souths and Parramatta as they are the teams my parents follow, I couldn't give a shit about the other clubs in the competition.

Now that Cronulla's season has ended, I couldn't care less about the rest of the NRL season, I now eagerly await the start of the cricket season even though Australia are shite.

I was talking about the sport of RL not the NRL as a competition.

The Great Dane

First Grade

Yeah no.

The Dragons are almost literally a Raiders B team these days.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Few thousand? We averaged 13,470 this year you f**king merkin.

Wow, 13,000!!!! so of these ill be generous and say 10,000 are Sharks die hards and would stop following if sharks died. (the rest are just league fans that would go to the Dragons or Souths, ect.)

So the NRL is keeping a Perth team and a Wellington team out of the league just to keep these 10,000 happy. Current and potential fans in those areas should have no opportunity to see live football because NRL has to please these cronulla fans first?

Cronulla fans, i might add, that have 8 other teams within their same city.

It gets to the point where the admin have to make a choice between this small team in a pocket of Sydney, or a new team in a much bigger and currently empty market.

Yeah no.

The Dragons are almost literally a Raiders B team these days.

Not my point. Sure the dragons first grade team is shit, but their system does produce a lot of kids for the comp. Its probably the worst in leaving kids behind if they just drop back a bit when they're trying to move up through the grades at the steelers, but they do have a great structure in giving all of the south coast kids an opportunity.

I dont know heaps about the Raiders system, but i know the Sharks one aint crash hot.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Does Smith have the balls?

NRL CEO Dave Smith denied plans to move any team in the immediate future but conceded "the footprint of the entire competition" would be "reviewed" for the following year.

"We don't have plans to move any team," Smith said.

"We are working to assist some clubs in building sustainable ways forward and that is a joint exercise that relies on the clubs being financially viable and continuing to meet corporate governance responsibilities.

"There’s no doubt that as we get to the planned review of expansion at the end of 2014 that the whole competition footprint will be looked at but that is still a while away."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...thern-queensland/story-fniabjcr-1226726458113

reanimate

Bench
This is interesting, I saw this in the main forum and thought it was worth reporting here:

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/ce...-cronulla-sharks/story-fndujljl-1226726468876

CENTRAL Queensland bid chief Geoff Murphy has expressed his interest in a relocation package to rescue the crisis-stricken Sharks.

Having outlaid more than $2 million in his fight to secure Queensland's fourth NRL licence, Murphy is prepared to work with Cronulla bosses to help bring the Sharks to Rockhampton.

It can be revealed the ARLC have investigated the Sharks' NRL licence being transferred to Central or South-East Queensland amid high-level fears over the club's viability in Sydney.

The Sharks are saddled with debts of around $3.5 million and there are also major concerns over Cronulla's governance, a red-flag raised by former interim CEO Bruno Cullen prior to his resignation last month.

Construction tycoon Murphy has previously offered help to Cronulla, meeting with former chief executive Tony Zappia in 2010 to discuss launching the Central Queensland Sharks.

Murphy said he has had no formal approach from ARLC representatives but is willing to expedite any proposed relocation plan.

"We’re still interested in looking at the alternatives," he said.

"I’ve heard rumours about the NRL looking to move the Sharks. I hadn’t taken it too seriously because I felt if they were serious about it, maybe we would have been approached about it.

"I don’t know if the Sharks have come to grips with the situation. Long-term it (relocation) has to happen but the Sharks may not be ready for that scenario.

"We will certainly talk with them. Transplanting a NRL team is a bit more difficult than a start-up one.

"If they moved here, we’d have to look at where we play games before we got our stadium up and running.

"But we would certainly be interested in having discussions with the Sharks to see if we can come up with a suitable arrangement."

One option discussed is for the Sharks to be moved interstate as early as next season. But with ASADA's doping probe continuing, a more realistic timeframe would see Cronulla removed from the Sutherland Shire by 2015.

The ARLC are mindful any relocation plan could spark major backlash from Sharks fans, but are also acutely aware of the public-relations disaster engulfing Cronulla over the doping probe.

Cronulla’s legal bill fighting the allegations is currently in excess of $500,000 and a shift to Queensland could help repair the club’s brand following ASADA’s lengthy investigation.

Cronulla chairman Damian Keogh insists relocation is not on his board’s agenda but the ARLC has the power to rescind an NRL club’s licence under its participation rules.

NRL CEO Dave Smith denied plans to move any team in the immediate future but conceded "the footprint of the entire competition" would be "reviewed" for the following year.

Keogh told The Courier-Mail a fortnight ago the Sharks would fight tooth-and-nail to remain in Sydney’s south.

"We are in the Shire to stay. We don’t plan on going anywhere," Keogh said.

"We believe very firmly we have a viable and sustainable future right here.

"We have a major property development, which will be commencing next year, which is going to secure some significant revenue for us over the next five or so years.

"From the board and club’s perspective, we celebrate our 50th year in the Shire in 2017, so I don’t see any requirement or desire from anyone to move the club anywhere.

"I don’t know what the Commission’s view is, but that (staying in the Shire) is the club’s view, the board’s view and the supporters’ view."

Mr. Sharky

Juniors
Then your a hopeless excuse for a RL fan. No player is bigger then the team! And that is all that the clubs, the NRL, the ARLC, etc are, they're just players in the RL team.

This makes no sense to me because you claim to have a great love for the Sharks but you also claim that you wouldn't follow them to the NSW cup.

It seem to me that your love for the Sharks only go's as far as is convenient for you.

No club has a right to be in the competition not even the Raiders, every club has to continually earn their spot in the NRL.

I was talking about the sport of RL not the NRL as a competition.

Honestly GD, go and neck yourself seriously.

Do North Sydney or Newtown fans still follow their clubs in the NSW Cup?

No they don't. They now follow other sports.

The North Shore is now an AFL and rugby union heartland.

I follow the Sharks because they are my local club and that is the area I have grown up in.

You honestly expect me to follow the club if we were based in Queensland, Afghanistan or wherever?

You sir are an oxygen thief of the highest order.

Do us all a favour and neck yourself, you muppet.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Can you tell me how the north shore is RU and afl heartland when they don't have teams in either of those codes playing ON the north shore?

Are you saying other codes don't need clubs representing a suburb/area of Sydney to make it heartland but NRL does?

Where's the logic in that??

Mr. Sharky

Juniors
Can you tell me how the north shore is RU and afl heartland when they don't have teams in either of those codes playing ON the north shore?

Are you saying other codes don't need clubs representing a suburb/area of Sydney to make it heartland but NRL does?

Where's the logic in that??

The North Shore has always been a RU heartland, so much so that the ARU is based there.

As far as AFL is concerned, do you know where most Swans fans are based, a fair majority of the club's fanbase comes from the North Shore.

North Shore doesn't have a RU team? What are the Northern Suburbs Rugby Club then?

The Great Dane

First Grade
You honestly expect me to follow the club if we were based in Queensland, Afghanistan or wherever?

So we might lose an unstable club, that brings in no money to the game, in an area of little strategic significance TV wise with roughly 6-7 thousand die hard fans. That's no big deal if we can replace them with a stable club, that does make a profit/breaks even, in an area of extreme significance TV wise, with at least roughly 6-7 thousand plus die hard fans.

We can do it and business wise it's a sensible and logical move so we should probably do it.

Look history and tradition is great, but if it's not bringing in the dough something needs to change to keep the competition wealthy and strong. the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
Just look at the NFL, they wouldn't be anywhere near where they are today if they didn't make the hard decisions to grow their game. It's a sad topic and it's a hard decision but it's a good move.

I was a Bears fan so I understand what it's like to lose your team, it sucks really bad and it hurts for a long, long time and I wouldn't wish that upon any fan, but we have to do what is best for the sport as a whole and if that means we have to leave behind some more clubs, even if one day one of those club is the Raiders, then we gotta do what we gotta do and we shouldn't be afraid to do it.

Mr. Sharky

Juniors
So we might lose an unstable club, that brings in no money to the game, in an area of little strategic significance TV wise with roughly 6-7 thousand die hard fans. That's no big deal if we can replace them with a stable club, that does make a profit/breaks even, in an area of extreme significance TV wise, with at least roughly 6-7 thousand plus die hard fans.

We can do it and business wise it's a sensible and logical move so we should probably do it.

Look history and tradition is great, but if it's not bringing in the dough something needs to change to keep the competition wealthy and strong. the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
Just look at the NFL, they wouldn't be anywhere near where they are today if they didn't make the hard decisions to grow their game. It's a sad topic and it's a hard decision but it's a good move.

I was a Bears fan so I understand what it's like to lose your team, it sucks really bad and it hurts for a long, long time and I wouldn't wish that upon any fan, but we have to do what is best for the sport as a whole and if that means we have to leave behind some more clubs, even if one day one of those club is the Raiders, then we gotta do what we gotta do and we shouldn't be afraid to do it.

You really should get a gig with the FFA.

Fact is nobody from the Sutherland Shire will go and follow the Dragons.

If Manchester City fell over would you expect City fans to go and follow Manchester United?

If the Sharks go, league in the Shire is dead.

It's that simple.

We already have the biggest junior soccer nursery in the country and should the Sharks leave, it will be free for the FFA to do with it whatever it likes.

Not forgetting the Shire has been supplying the bulk of the Sydney FC team since the A-League started 8 years ago.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Fact is nobody from the Sutherland Shire will go and follow the Dragons.

No body old enough to remember the Sharks or their impact on the area, after that it's up to the NRL and the Dragons to make an impact.

If the Sharks go, league in the Shire is dead.

Maybe for a time but eventually it'll grow back, all you've got to do is look at North Sydney to see evidence of this. Or you can look at Newcastle after the Rebels if you want to go way back.

As for soccer in the region, it's my understanding that the only way that soccer could get a stronger hold on the area would be if they were to put an A-League team in the area (not unlike soccer in Canberra in fact), but with current events and the position that the FFA and the A-league are in it will be a very long time before that happens, if it happens.

For one it'll be quite a while before the A-League could support another team in Sydney.

Diesel

Referee
I don't believe all this talk of not supporting a team IF they are moved. If you really support your club you'd support them regardless of where they were based.

Sure supporters would be rightly pissed off that their team was moved but once everything settles down and the team starts winning, you'd get on the bandwagon again. I'm sure Dragons, Steelers, Magpies and Tigers fans all felt the same at the time of the merge but at least their team has won a premiership since the merge, whereas teams like the Bears, Crushers, Reds, Rams, Chargers are not around anymore.

Being in Sydney means you'd see your team run around at away games at least 6-8 times a year.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The North Shore has always been a RU heartland, so much so that the ARU is based there.

As far as AFL is concerned, do you know where most Swans fans are based, a fair majority of the club's fanbase comes from the North Shore.

North Shore doesn't have a RU team? What are the Northern Suburbs Rugby Club then?

By that logic the Cronulla sharks in the NSW cup should be just fine in keeping the shire RL heartland then?

It has always been RL heartland, it has Rl fans based there and with a NSW cup it will have a team. That is basically the logic you are using to suggest the Nth Shore is AFL and RU and not Rl heartland?

Mr. Sharky

Juniors
I am guessing all you f**kwits are disciples of the Rebecca Wilson Appreciation Society.

I really don't understand why all you merkins have so much hate and an agenda against the Sharks.

I can understand the halfwits that support the Dragons would be keen to get rid of us but the rest I am at a loss as to why the rest of you lot are so desperate to get rid of us.

Fact is that article in the paper today had no substance to it whatsoever.

It was just a rehash of an opinion piece that Rebecca Wilson and that dickhead James Hooper have been spouting for ages.

One would've learned from the heartache and disgrace of 1999-2001 when South Sydney were kicked out of the competition.

I am all for bringing new teams in but I do not support the relocation or removal of any existing team to achieve it.

It would be far better to have a two conference system or a two divisional system with promotion/relegation than to force teams to move against their will.

Last edited:

Mr. Sharky

Juniors
By that logic the Cronulla sharks in the NSW cup should be just fine in keeping the shire RL heartland then?

It has always been RL heartland, it has Rl fans based there and with a NSW cup it will have a team. That is basically the logic you are using to suggest the Nth Shore is AFL and RU and not Rl heartland?

I supported seeing a Perth team in the NRL at some stage but you can go f**k yourselves now as far as I am concerned.

Latest posts