What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wing Signs with Souths 4 Year Deal

Geohood

Bench
Roosters will be much better than Souths next year and beyond. Would of rathered Wing stayed though.. but good luck to him, hes been a great representative for the club.

Hurriflatch

Referee
Max Power said:
Wing is an athlete, not a footballer. The last place you want him is in Half Back

Good luck with him in the #7. You're going to need it.

With the way the Roosters are cutting players Mark O'Meley will be playing halfback in 2007

Its a huge throw of the dice by Souths, 4 years is a f**king long time especially if he fails to recapture his prior form.

Wing definately is not a halfback and only a hooker or utility IMO, great player in his day but too me his well and truly past his best.

Edit: I signing like this is definately a step back as it only proves that Souths are still the retirement village of the NRL.

Tom Ace

Bench
I'm thinking the only Roosters fans that this will genuinely disappoint will be made up of 95% teenage girls and 5% who would honestly think he's irreplaceable.

Most fans wouldn't of minded keeping him, just so he didn't go to the pitiful little brother Souffs and because he can have his occasional good game, but on the whole all we have to do is look back at the last 2 years, when he wasn't playing for a contract, to see what would of happened over the next 4 years.

There are smarter, more modern hookers out there these days that the Roosters will be looking at.

Good Luck to him.

yobbo84

Coach
Baron Vo Mandor said:
Its a huge throw of the dice by Souths, 4 years is a f**king long time especially if he fails to recapture his prior form.

Wing definately is not a halfback and only a hooker or utility IMO, great player in his day but too me his well and truly past his best.

Edit: I signing like this is definately a step back as it only proves that Souths are still the retirement village of the NRL.

:lol:.. he's 27 years old and in the best form he's been in for the past 3 years. When he finally gets put back in the halves he'll show the NRL again what he's capable of.

straws.jpg

philstorm

Juniors
He's a pretty good player, but Souths shouldn't think that this solves their halves problem.

Instead, it gives the likes of Luke a chance to develop at their own pace without being pressured into a position like a youngster like Pearse.

Depending on how much they paid for him, it's a good move.

philstorm

Juniors
Another thing, why would the Roosters website want to mention this?

"Craig confirmed whilst the Roosters offer was higher, he felt more comfortable accepting the Souths offer"

Seems stupid ...

should be interesting to note, if we don't make the finals, his last game for us will be against his future club, and his first game for his future club is most likely going to be his former club

interesting to note phil you didn't include

"... as it was a guaranteed 4 year commitment against the Roosters 2 years with a 2 year option. He also indicated that it would be his last contract in Australia."

does it seem so stupid now?

mckinks

Juniors
Tonearm Terrorwrist said:
should be interesting to note, if we don't make the finals, his last game for us will be against his future club, and his first game for his future club is most likely going to be his former club

"... as it was a guaranteed 4 year commitment against the Roosters 2 years with a 2 year option. He also indicated that it would be his last contract in Australia."

Contract length can fluctuate (look at the latest wave of releases) but the money will stay the same. Besides, Four years isn't bad for a player who is still only 26 years old.

Does Roosters Management seem so smart now?

philstorm

Juniors

No no, i'm just talking about the money side of things. It just seems strange that, even if the length of the contract was the issue, the Roosters would indicidate on their own club website that money was not the issue for a player leaving the club?

Tom Ace

Bench

But putting the whole quote in doesn't help out his argument! You should know that

innsaneink

Referee
philstorm said:
No no, i'm just talking about the money side of things. It just seems strange that, even if the length of the contract was the issue, the Roosters would indicidate on their own club website that money was not the issue for a player leaving the club?

Very juvenile of the roosters...we all know their aim.

Hurriflatch

Referee
good riddence, was a long time coming, only souths fans get excited by him, all parties involved are happy

are you ever going critisize Roosters management seriously every release over the last couple of weeks you've made it out like nothing is wrong and the players were sh*t.

The Roosters could release Minichellio, Anasta, Solioa, Sa, Myles and Tupou and you'd still find a way to make it look like the players were cra* and the Roosters wanted to get rid of them

mckinks said:
Contract length can fluctuate (look at the latest wave of releases) but the money will stay the same. Besides, Four years isn't bad for a player who is still only 26 years old.

Does Roosters Management seem so smart now?

i'll tell you in 2 years ;-)

Tom Ace

Bench
philstorm said:

He wanted to leave for a contract that was guaranteed to be 4 years. I can't see why that's so hard to comprehend. The fact that they mentioned money is pretty irrelevant if he said he wanted to leave for a 4 years contract, which the Roosters said they couldn't give him.

I know it's hard to comprehend he's going to Souths of all places. But they like trailing around behind us swallowing up our dregs.

Just looking at the ex-Roosters players to play at Souths in the last couple of years

Yak
Fletcher
Hegarty
Williams
Webb
Rigon
And now Wing

Jesus, it's the South Sydney Roosters!