What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World Club Challenge discussion

Benny

First Grade
Slightly off topic, but very happy that I just secured tickets to the Wigan V Man U match on Saturday afternoon in Wigan \\\\:D/

Nice work Macca how did you score those? I've been told I have tickets but just returned home after being stuck on outer island in a cyclone...so sent email off and hope to get confirmation this week.

Benny

First Grade
Macca, St Linnane, Benny, etc... Here is the link to the thread i started in the St Helens fans forum if you wish to contribute or keep up to speed as to what we may or may not need to know.

http://www.redvee.net/forums/showthread.php?17511-St-George-supporters-coming-over-from-Oz

Good work Major.

Just a quiet suggestion - would it be worth contacting St.Helens and see if we can't all sit together and get a group booking to secure tickets and all together.

Not sure if my friends will be able to travel up for this...will double check - otherwise would love to sit with whoever is going and getting tickets.

The Major

Bench
Well if we cant get to the George pub before the WCC then definitely before the Saints v Warrington game! Benny, i think we'll be scraping enough as it is trying to jag tix to the game in general. Not sure what our chances of a group buy might be. Ill take up your suggestion however and see how we go. Can i get an idea of what sort of numbers we're looking at? Whod wanna go??

Benny

First Grade
DW - we have tickets to Man U v Wigan on the Saturday and are hopeful of scoring tickets to Liverpool v Sparta on the Thursday night.

St.Linnane - we should be able to get tickets comfortably - even if a sell out, if willing to pay a little extra will be heaps of tickets around.

How many of your group is planning on going to this - the full 8 or just a few. Again might be able to go down the group booking option.

The Major

Bench
Nah definitely in for that Matty. Get to see the Kop in full voice would be tops. Why do Wigan get called the Pie Eaters?

Acka

Coach
Nah definitely in for that Matty. Get to see the Kop in full voice would be tops. Why do Wigan get called the Pie Eaters?

It had something to do with a general strike. The workers in Wigan were told to go back to work and eat humble pie I believe

Saints75

Juniors
It had something to do with a general strike. The workers in Wigan were told to go back to work and eat humble pie I believe
Quite correct with your answer. Plus there are loads of pie shops and they hold the world pie eating championships

The Major

Bench
I can hear the chant now.... "they never eat the salads.... They always eat the pies.... U fat bastards. U fat bastards, u ate all the pies!"

The Major

Bench
Screw the teams and the match. Im purely going to watch the crowd and watch how really insignificant our efforts are here in the NRL singing at a match.

WireMan

Bench
Quite correct with your answer. Plus there are loads of pie shops and they hold the world pie eating championships

The pie eating championships only appeared later. They are called the pie eaters because all the miners in the area went on strike. One group of miners broke the picket and went back to work.

It was said they had to eat humbe pie and is basically another term for scabs.

Not quite that simple though, but i'm sure you could find a pie eater to tell you their side of the story.

The Major:

As for atmosphere the Saints - Wire game is usually good. The Wigan - United match may get a bit heated. The liverpool game won't be a good atmosphere as its a Europa night. However its worth going of you are a scouser, don't forget to get your scarf so you can sign along.

For some reason you never get the who ate all the pies at a game vs Wigan. Don't know why not enough swear words probably... :)

Latest posts