What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World club challenge

Sime_11

Juniors
Felt like origin 3 tonight, expected to win easily and we shit the bed

not enough go forward, edwards with strong starts to the set and positioning was found out tonight.

not enough mongrel from the forwards, Liam would have relished the tough stuff in 1st half

very unpanther like, constant errors, no go forward and minimal momentum generated (every time we looked to start momentum we fkd up)

Garner was disappointing tonight, seemed disinterested a lot in 1st half.

Luai & Cleary needs to be accountable, Cleary needs to get back to 2021 kicking form, some good kicks but he’s not been the same since 2021. Luai quiet as a mouses fart, was hoping for some WC form from him

yes it’s a trial but we had the best chance yet to win a trophy we don’t have, we’re now 0/3

it hurts, we shit the bed tonight - no excuses

pantherz9103

First Grade
I agree. Penrith got a lesson in football tonight. Made some of our players look like they were on debut.

St Helens deserve that title. Very well coached. Is this the first WCC win by an English club in Australia? Massive achievement.
A genuinely good Wigan side beat the Broncos in Brisbane in 1994. That Wigan side winning was not such a shock like St Helens winning tonight was, at least from most Aussies point of view. That game in ‘94 was played mid season, which I think is probably a better time to play such a game, even considering rep footy and other things, playing it then would make it more special.

It felt too much like a trial tonight but credit to St Helens they clearly prepared better and looked more desperate to win, which is sad from our point of view. Who knows when we’ll get another chance to win one? Pretty filthy because it’s major opportunity lost and it just didn’t look like we had the right attitude for what should be a considered a major event.

Fangs

Coach
A genuinely good Wigan side beat the Broncos in Brisbane in 1994. That game was played mid season, which I think is probably a better time to play such a game, even considering rep footy and other things, playing it then would make it more special.

It felt too much like a trial tonight but credit to St Helens they clearly prepared better and looked more desperate to win, which is sad from our point of view. Who knows when we’ll get another chance to win one?

Getting Brisbane in 1994 is huge. They had an amazing squad.

If we half assed it tonight then fair enough. But we still got schooled by a 37 year old bald bloke from Liverpool.

I too hope we get another shot. Next time in England.

Original Name

Juniors
Left edge= run shape to try and score. Right edge take a hit up edge in general. Garner runs the decoy line that Tago used to run that Kiks got the ball out the back of.
Of note though. Watching the game for the first time. Whalmsley getting a quick play the full ball running at Garner sets up their first try. Garner's contact of the big prop wasn't great and it resulted in a quick ptb. Lomax runs flat over the ad line engaes Garner off the back of that setting up their first try. Might have been tackled by Luai or Garner might have bitten when he didn't have to.

Tbf the guy is maybe the world's biggest League prop running at a second rower.

The Clan

Juniors
What excuses??? It’s an NRL trial game is it not? ?? It’s part of the NRL preseason competition, is that not a fact?

Sad is the fact that the Super League Supporters honestly believe it’s a good competition, when in reality, it’s only slightly better than our reserve grade comp.

That’s just how it is.
No it’s not a fact!
Go ahead and use all your excuses, sad, but if you need a comfort blanket then who am I to deny you it.

Im glad that I see and know some genuine NRL fans because if I or anyone took you as typical it would be a poor reflection on the real fans from down under.

snickers007

Juniors
Just made it home to the Central West. Feeling pretty meh about the whole thing.

Didn't think we deserved to make it to golden point, thought we were well off the pace in attack.

Full credit to St Helens. They played great. James Roby was excellent. His kick pressure on Cleary was relentless, and he engaged the markers pretty much every play from dummy half.

Konrad Hurrell was a beast, and St Helens were smart to use him at every opportunity.

And their defence was great. Outside of a couple of breaks early in the game, they looked very solid.

As for our guys, far too many errors early in our sets. Critta with 2-3, Leota to start the game. Fish popping the offload to St Helens. Absolute coach killers.

Tago for mine looked the most likely. I thought he had a real crack. Made a couple of defensive errors early, but was very good in the second half.

Really impressed with Spencer as well. Bent the line every carry. Would have loved to see him get the chance to follow a few fast play the balls, rather than slogging it out if our own half all the time.

Was very underwhelmed by Garner. Unfortunately he has these quiet games in him. I didn't really notice Hosking at the ground, but his stats indicate that he had a crack at least. I think I must have mistaken him for Lindsay Smith a few times, cause I was sure that Smith had more than 2 runs.

And we also looked clunky. Neither Kenny nor Cogger gave great service. Plenty of passes hit the ground, or forced the catcher to stop or turn around. And it just killed our rhythm.

Special shoutout to the guy sitting behind me who couldn't complete a sentence without swearing, and talked relentlessly at a high volume for 2 hours straight. Unsure how those in the area with young kids didn't confront him about it.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
A trial game??That was last week Lukey boy.This was the World Club Challenge and Saints can say they are the best. .
Our players weren’t eligible to play last week champ. So yeah, this was our trial game.

I realise it’s a big deal for you and full credit, your team played great, but the reality is, the NRL season is about to start and that’s were the big sharks hunt.

Enjoy your win mate, beating Penrith at home under any circumstances is an achievement.

Wizardman

First Grade
This whole notion around Luke Garner running good lines I don’t know where the evidence is.

3 runs tonight, yes 3 runs in about 60 minutes for 27 metres.

If you look at guys career stats, this is not entirely a new phenomenon he rarely achieves over a 100 metres and if he does it is most likely to have originated from the odd line break, not of his own making where he picks up 40-50 metres from one run.

I don’t know what the answer is, probably too early for Maverik, could Riki be worth consideration. He just looks a bigger body, more threatening with the ball in hand, just as athletic.
Running good lines is the ONLY reason why he is considered for first grade. Every other part of his game is NSW Cup standard.
He did score some good tries at the Tigers due to running off good balls from the halves. Prob was....our halves are shit which makes good balls few and far between. He "could" be a good buy due to the world class pack he is with as well as world class halves. Time will tell. In saying that, you are right about him not creating his own breaks....he is just not that sort of player. He is not a worker in defence either.

I have no doubt Cleary bought Garner solely for his hole running (which, is a hard skill to do very well).

saintnickle

Juniors
Our players weren’t eligible to play last week champ. So yeah, this was our trial game.

I realise it’s a big deal for you and full credit, your team played great, but the reality is, the NRL season is about to start and that’s were the big sharks hunt.

Enjoy your win mate, beating Penrith at home under any circumstances is an achievement.
The big sharks hunt??Are you Gus Goulds love child.Your salary cap is 3 times ours in superleague and we made you look average ..

Luke Bowden

First Grade
No it’s not a fact!
Go ahead and use all your excuses, sad, but if you need a comfort blanket then who am I to deny you it.

Im glad that I see and know some genuine NRL fans because if I or anyone took you as typical it would be a poor reflection on the real fans from down under.
Go away you muppet, the English Super League is utterly dog shit mate. It’s of a poor standard.

It’s where our players go to ease into retirement and earn heaps of cash. It’s a comp that makes Sam Tompkins look good for god sake

Go talk about it in an English Rugby League group and you can all pretend is awesome….

What are you trying to achieve even reading and posting in here?!?

The NRL seasons about to start mate, get excited for that….

saintnickle

Juniors
Go away you muppet, the English Super League is utterly dog shit mate. It’s of a poor standard.

It’s where our players go to ease into retirement and earn heaps of cash. It’s a comp that makes Sam Tompkins look good for god sake

Go talk about it in an English Rugby League group and you can all pretend is awesome….

Go to bed convict...

Luke Bowden

First Grade
The big sharks hunt??Are you Gus Goulds love child.Your salary cap is 3 times ours in superleague and we made you look average ..

You made us look average???? Trust me, we didn’t need any help there Matey.

To be honest, both teams were very average, you scored from two very poor defensive decisions and we scored from kicks, not exactly a high standard of a game.

As I said mate, enjoy your win.

Iamback

Coach
Watched a bit of the replay, sometimes on fast forward, we really were way off the pace really. Appalling conditions probably didn’t help, but no excuses we were very clunky and didn’t really threaten, even when we had some decent possession and field position in the second half. Just have to suck up it up, very disappointing.

It was one up and kick

both tries we scored was due to their errors

Iamback

Coach
Liam Martin is an excellent attacking 2 second rower, what are you on about?

Defence wins comps. We need to make sure that’s solid and then worry about where the points will come from.

In 86 games

17 tries
54 offloads
24 Linebreaks

So about 1 of them a game, Doesn't scream excellent attacking 2nd rower

granted stats don't always show a players skills

So he can throw a cut out pass?
Kick for his outside guys?

You need good defence true but also go back and look at where the last 10 or so premiers have sat for attack.

We sat 4th in attack for 2021 but still ave 28 a game.

The Sharks 2016 side that grinded a premiership still was 2nd in points for that year

You need to be top 2 in defence and in the top few for attack, I have no concerns with defence. Predictability in attack though

Iamback

Coach
This whole notion around Luke Garner running good lines I don’t know where the evidence is.

3 runs tonight, yes 3 runs in about 60 minutes for 27 metres.

If you look at guys career stats, this is not entirely a new phenomenon he rarely achieves over a 100 metres and if he does it is most likely to have originated from the odd line break, not of his own making where he picks up 40-50 metres from one run.

I don’t know what the answer is, probably too early for Maverik, could Riki be worth consideration. He just looks a bigger body, more threatening with the ball in hand, just as athletic.

Mav did play edge today, Hopefully that is the plan across the season

The Clan

Juniors

When you have to resort to insults and denigration you’ve lost the debate fella or am I mistaken and you’re just a kid

I’m here because I’m a Rugby League fan and Penrith Panthers have just played St Helens in the World Club Challenge in Australia. Super League is whatever it is, but you know it’s the original Rugby League competition so maybe you should show a bit more respect. You can say what you like but with a $12.1 million salary cap compared to Super Leagues £2.0 million I think it does a great job of staying just behind the NRL. With that sort of financial advantage maybe NRL teams should be much better.

Anyway, once again, congratulations to Super League Champions St Helens on becoming World Club Champions despite ALL THE ADVANTAGES BEING WITH Penrith Panthers

FearTheVee

Juniors
You made us look average???? Trust me, we didn’t need any help there Matey.

To be honest, both teams were very average, you scored from two very poor defensive decisions and we scored from kicks, not exactly a high standard of a game.

As I said mate, enjoy your win.
Yeah you were average and the weather was bad and the salary cap is biting (despite cleary earning about a third of saints entire cap) and we don’t care and it was a trial and we were missing a couple and the ref and our reserve grade would beat you and nobody would make our team and and and and and and and

and you lose again.

Latest posts