What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yep... Simmons is the target, Byron Ford deal falls through

lizziebra

Juniors
Just read it on the Herald Website.

Simmons is who we are targetting as he can get a release from the sharks and Byron Ford cites personal reasons and pulls out of the Knights 2009 offer.

Frederick

Staff member
Knights keeping close watch on Simmons
BY ROBERT DILLON
23/10/2008 9:41:00 PM
NEWCASTLE Knights officials are monitoring with interest the status of representative centre David Simmons after reports that Cronulla were poised to release him.

Knights coach Brian Smith is understood to be a Simmons fan, and Newcastle held negotiations with him last year before he eventually re-signed with the Sharks.

Newcastle strategic development manager Keith Onslow said his information was that Simmons would stay at Cronulla to serve the final season of his contract.

But should that situation change, it would be no surprise if the Knights made a move for the 23-year-old, who has scored 49 tries in 105 NRL games and represented City Origin in 2006.

"I think the club pursued Dave Simmons the year before and he's a name that always comes up in discussions," Onslow said yesterday.

"There was some talk that he might become available after Cronulla signed [Anthony] Tupou, because their salary cap was tight.

"I think anybody would be interested if a player like Dave Simmons became available, and we were keeping our interest up to date with his manager.

"But his manager emailed this week to say the rumours about him leaving Cronulla had no substance and he was going to stay put for 2009.

"So we've left it at that."

Meanwhile, Newcastle's plans to recruit Newtown winger Byron Ford have fallen through.

The Knights announced last month that they had agreed to terms with the Cook Islands international, who had been offered a two-year deal.

But the 26-year-old has since contacted Newcastle and indicated he would not be in a position to join them because of personal issues.

"He's had an about-face . . . it's disappointing," Onslow said.

Ford, a former US college basketballer and member of the notorious Bra Boys surfing gang, had been earmarked as a project player who would have boosted the depth of Newcastle's outside backs.

He scored 15 tries for Newtown in the 2008 NSW Cup season, including a long-range effort against Wentworthville in the Jets' grand final loss.

Onslow said negotiations with former Test star Adam MacDougall were ongoing.

He admitted it had been a "slow process" but said there was no reason to doubt that the veteran outside back would re-sign for one last season with the Knights.
LINK

Jono078

Referee
Deadset gay..

I would rather all our backs over him, heck id prefer Tighe and Carmont over him.

If he ends up coming and stops Vuna, Uate etc getting those games when there are a few injuries i'll be pissed.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Hmmmm mixed feelings about this.

Simmons has the size and skill to be a great centre but lacks the application. Smith may just get the best out of him but looking at his form for 'nulla I have grave doubts.

Yosh

Coach
Dud, Dud and Dud... I remember him being a little girl on defense... Jeez... MacDoogs for the win man... Hope Cronulla retain him!!!

Special K

Coach
Hmmmm mixed feelings about this.

Simmons has the size and skill to be a great centre but lacks the application. Smith may just get the best out of him but looking at his form for 'nulla I have grave doubts.
Anderson, Raper and Stuart haven't been able to get anything out of this guy since his debut in 2003 and he has played 100 games.

He is a fairy. He is good under the high ball and that is where it ends.

Jono078

Referee
Only thing he was good for was his pace, I remember he ran down a lot of fast players including Matt Bowen.

But now with his size he doesnt seem quick at all.

He is a winger also, if anything.

But i'm happy with everyone we have over him.

Frederick

Staff member
I must say I'm disappointed that the Byron Ford deal has fallen through - was looking forward to seeing how he went next year. Guess I'll have to pay attention when the Jets come to town, if he's still playing with them

roopy

Referee
I don't know much about Simmons, but i believe i've heard he is recovering from a serious leg injury, a bit like Matt Gidley in 2001 - and we all know Matt eventually got his mojo back.
I think he has had a bad season, but maybe we have picked up a rep standard player cheap because he has been slow to get his leg back to full fitness.

transporter

Juniors
Roopy, your being very optimistic

lets hope ur right.

I dont want to see Simmons ahead of uate & Vuna because Smith rates him. we all disagree on fatty Wicks.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Georgebanner-1.jpg

Latest posts