What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your NRL controversial take

MugaB

Coach
Seven tackle sets suck especially from a dead ball. I used to love bombs to the in goal, was exciting.

6 agains should only be called after the second tackle, if tackle one or two the. It should be a penalty.
All 6 agains should have to have a video snippet with the ref voicing over what it was for after the game/Mondays to allow for more consistency and referee accountability. I still think that sometimes they seem to be bias with teams or players they penalise with 6 agains.
Penalties after repeated 6 against should come with a sin bin, there was a game last month where the offending team kept giving away 6agains on the line on purpose, coz they knew they'd hold out the opposition until they dropped it or gave back the possession, it was a cheating tactic by some clubs before the 6again rule was brought in, it ruined the game, now depending on if the referee has a backbone or not, they try their luck

MKCS

Juniors
Once more for the hard of thinking . . .

We
haven't
got
enough
talent
for
teams,
let
alone

In a purely practical sense, I'd rather see 12 teams and a 24 round season where everyone plays everyone twice and gets 2 byes. In practice I can't see (and don't particularly want to see) 5 clubs being culled/merged.

20 is probably too much but the Dolphins got competitive rather quickly and will probably make the 8 or go close this year.

With the 18th team, as long as it isn't in PNG and is decently located you'd expect them to be able to put together a good enough 30 man roster with ex NRL players playing in Europe, NRL reserves and NSW/QLD Cup players to at least be competitive.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
There’s enough playing talent for 20 or more teams.

The problem is there’s not enough coaching talent. It’s why Wayne Bennett will still be coaching when he’s nothing but a shrivelled husk. There’s nobody banging down the door for a first grade job.
This. The guy who said there isn't enough talent for 16 teams, is (in my opinion) flat out wrong.

To be fair, I think there's less filler right now - there's not as many Matt Elliott, Nathan Brown, Anthony Griffin types who float around and end up at desperate clubs, and will never get near a premiership.

But yeah, you could field 20 teams comfortably if you had 5-6 top tier guys like Bellamy, Cleary, Bennett etc and a whole bunch of guys on a Fitzgibbon, Flanagan, Robinson, even Stuart, Webster, Arthur level.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
My controversial take is that people like Paul Kent and Buzz are great for the game and part of what separates us from union.

Union, both in NZ and Australia, don't have shock jocks and people who incite opinion and vitriol. It's all an old boys network in the media and amongst ex-players, and nothing nearing interesting or divisive is said...out of fear.

Yet we have - dribblers, admittedly - who speak their mind, or speak things purely for reaction, and it creates a ripple effect of interest. People tune into 360, and talk about it, because it fires them up. It's league's version of the facebook comments...I don't watch it because I can't stand Kent and talking over people, but a lot of people do.

We're lucky in NZ that we can piggy back on the drama and media hype that Australia creates. Our print media is non-existent, and our commentators/panel shows are absolute trash. The game only goes well here when we're winning, as with the Warriors last year. When we suck, there's nothing to hold our interest. Our fans either exit or become the 'next week boys, the real ones stay true' types.

MugaB

Coach
My controversial take is that people like Paul Kent and Buzz are great for the game and part of what separates us from union.

Union, both in NZ and Australia, don't have shock jocks and people who incite opinion and vitriol. It's all an old boys network in the media and amongst ex-players, and nothing nearing interesting or divisive is said...out of fear.

Yet we have - dribblers, admittedly - who speak their mind, or speak things purely for reaction, and it creates a ripple effect of interest. People tune into 360, and talk about it, because it fires them up. It's league's version of the facebook comments...I don't watch it because I can't stand Kent and talking over people, but a lot of people do.

We're lucky in NZ that we can piggy back on the drama and media hype that Australia creates. Our print media is non-existent, and our commentators/panel shows are absolute trash. The game only goes well here when we're winning, as with the Warriors last year. When we suck, there's nothing to hold our interest. Our fans either exit or become the 'next week boys, the real ones stay true' types.
Bring back the Bears, Kent and that f**kinTree

Eion

First Grade
I would rejig the points for suspensions.

100 points remain for a normal season game. 200 for a first week final. 300 for major semi / GF / SOO. So that players don’t miss big games for shitty charges

simmo1

First Grade
Club suspensions should not contribute towards exhibition games (Origin, All Stars, Trials).

Valheru

Coach
Dyl has been the best fullback in the game for 4 years now
2024 stats Teddy v Edwards

Tries 7-7
Line breaks 7-6
PCM 513-612
Tackle breaks 71-72
Try assists 10-6
Line break assists 14-7

Both played 11 games although teddy closer to 10 due to going off early one game with concussion.

If you want to argue Edwards was better than Turbo in 2021 then good luck to you.

Chins get the wins

First Grade

Tries 7-7
Line breaks 7-6
PCM 513-612
Tackle breaks 71-72
Try assists 10-6
Line break assists 14-7

Both played 11 games although teddy closer to 10 due to going off early one game with concussion.

If you want to argue Edwards was better than Turbo in 2021 then good luck to you.
Teddy just gets in the way playing heroball. f**k the merkin

Munky

Coach

Tries 7-7
Line breaks 7-6
PCM 513-612
Tackle breaks 71-72
Try assists 10-6
Line break assists 14-7

Conveniently not listing all run metres there

Edwards: 2,565
Squiddy: 1,871

Latest posts