What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd.2 v Eels

Girds89

Bench
Anyway

Going to be a tough game this one.

I think our attack will struggle again. Its something that we seem to start slow with every year.

Stop parras offloads is the trick.

Hopefully we get to see taylan in some open space again. And love to see tago with one of his blitz performances to really celebrate the resigning and get his season firing. I think both he and taylan could be the key this year. They can both be very threatening and are tackle breakers and strong runners.

Luai needs to be given a channel to run in and not play out of it. I just want to see him run and run and run directly at the line.. put away the step for a week and just go at them straight. He does that and watch our attack fire.

Iamback

Coach
Anyway

Going to be a tough game this one.

I think our attack will struggle again. Its something that we seem to start slow with every year.

Stop parras offloads is the trick.

Hopefully we get to see taylan in some open space again. And love to see tago with one of his blitz performances to really celebrate the resigning and get his season firing. I think both he and taylan could be the key this year. They can both be very threatening and are tackle breakers and strong runners.

Luai needs to be given a channel to run in and not play out of it. I just want to see him run and run and run directly at the line.. put away the step for a week and just go at them straight. He does that and watch our attack fire.

Playing on a dry track will help but yeah our attack inside the 20 in particular has been a work in progress for years

Munky

Coach
I'm a believer that you need coverage across the seventeen to cover the full backline and halves/hooker in case a player goes down.

Whether that means shifting a starting player and using the bench to fill their role or a direct swap from the reserves.

What is most important is to have that coverage be at a first grade standard.

I hate the term utility, a player should only be in the squad if they are at worst a mediocre first grader in their preferred position. Nikorima keeps getting gigs in the NRL because of his utility value but IMO isn't good enough at any of the positions he covers to be in a squad.

Looking through our GF teams.

2020: May started at centre but with back cover on Naden in the bench. May would have gone to halves/hooker if required.
2021: May on the bench to cover centre, halves and hooker.
2022: Api for hooker (really Kenny), Salmon for halves and centre with Critta shifting.
2023: Cogger and Garner to cover hooker, halves and centre. Critta to shift if needed.

Luke may still surprise me however he isn't any bigger than last year so even if he manages to stop stunting the attack he'll still be targeted to lose the ruck every set in defence.

Sime_11

Juniors
im really looking forward to Scotty too Hotty sorenson tomorrow night - will be very intersting to see how our left edge defence goes with the 1st choice left edge all playing together (Tito, May, Sorenson, Luai)

Iamback

Coach
im really looking forward to Scotty too Hotty sorenson tomorrow night - will be very intersting to see how our left edge defence goes with the 1st choice left edge all playing together (Tito, May, Sorenson, Luai)

Probably will take a few weeks to find form but it will good to see glimpses of it

soc123_au

Staff member
I'm a believer that you need coverage across the seventeen to cover the full backline and halves/hooker in case a player goes down.

Whether that means shifting a starting player and using the bench to fill their role or a direct swap from the reserves.

What is most important is to have that coverage be at a first grade standard.

I hate the term utility, a player should only be in the squad if they are at worst a mediocre first grader in their preferred position. Nikorima keeps getting gigs in the NRL because of his utility value but IMO isn't good enough at any of the positions he covers to be in a squad.

Looking through our GF teams.

2020: May started at centre but with back cover on Naden in the bench. May would have gone to halves/hooker if required.
2021: May on the bench to cover centre, halves and hooker.
2022: Api for hooker (really Kenny), Salmon for halves and centre with Critta shifting.
2023: Cogger and Garner to cover hooker, halves and centre. Critta to shift if needed.

Luke may still surprise me however he isn't any bigger than last year so even if he manages to stop stunting the attack he'll still be targeted to lose the ruck every set in defence.
Luke in defense is my big worry with him. He just gets dominated at the point of contact. The attack side is messy when he is on, but that is something that could come good with more time and be of benefit.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I think Kenny and Sorro coming back will make a huge difference.

Hopefully they have spent the week thin

blowing the rust off.

I’m thinking us 13+

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Luke in defense is my big worry with him. He just gets dominated at the point of contact. The attack side is messy when he is on, but that is something that could come good with more time and be of benefit.
If Luke is making a 1 on 1 tackle, other than scramble obviously, something has gone wrong.

murraymob

Coach
W
That’s not how it works though does it.

This just isn’t a good place to discuss actual footy. The loud voices always drown out any actual talk.

I get called “Super Coach” when I use to share any knowledge. So I just don’t anymore.
We need a super coach so share if they don’t like it stiff do it anyway

soc123_au

Staff member
If Luke is making a 1 on 1 tackle, other than scramble obviously, something has gone wrong.
It's not so much a miss, more getting driven back and losing the ruck.

Edit, misread making as miss. Still, first contact is important, but I see your point.