What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fisher-Harris Released - ???

Fangs

Coach
Let’s hope they don’t now throw extra crazy money at Turuva .Buy smart

No doubt his manager would have called the club already.

Gotta be sensible. Maybe up the offer a tiny amount but the priority is a new forward. Unless Sunia would like to spend some more time in the middle.

mxlegend99

Referee
Let’s hope they don’t now throw extra crazy money at Turuva .Buy smart
Id rather lose Turuva and gain more money toward replacing Fish correctly. Than pay extra to keep Turuva and have our front row be Leota as the only enforcer.

Henry and Smith are still developing. We cant develop a third front rower at the same time snd expect to be remotely consistent.

soc123_au

Staff member
Id rather lose Turuva and gain more money toward replacing Fish correctly. Than pay extra to keep Turuva and have our front row be Leota as the only enforcer.

Henry and Smith are still developing. We cant develop a third front rower at the same time snd expect to be remotely consistent.
Same, need to spend pig money on pigs. Doesn't need to be a prop specifically, I think we have options there that would work well, would need to beef up the back rower stocks to make it work though. Spending it in the backs would be dumb, but I am very confident the club wouldn't go down that path no matter how many mouth breathers on Facebook want it to happen.

Fangs

Coach
One often unsighted benefit of having Leota/JFH is that they don't play Origin.

I'm not sure if there was any design there. But it's given us an enormous advantage having our front row intact during that time of year. Compare that to a team like Parra who have lost RCG and Paulo at the same time to NSW (And Hopgood is a QLDer). Likewise the Broncos with Haas, Carrigan and Flegler.

We still have Leota and it might be thinking greedy, but the dream outcome would be a rep quality prop from outside Australia.

snickers007

Juniors
May not be a popular opinion, but I'd be re-signing Eisenhuth if he's willing to go around again. He's not gonna cost a lot, he fits our culture, he makes his tackles.

I'd also be re-signing Garner for two more years. Obviously he'd be looking for more money than he's on now, but would still be a relatively modest deal.

Unless another shock release happens this season, we know who is available for 2025. But with Eiso and Garns locked in, we may not need to go to market for 2025, and could bank some cash for a splurge in 2026.

We have the option of elevating Smith or Henry to the starting side. We could also look at shifting Martin, Sorenson or Yeo to front row.

And if we do go to market, I'd be looking at bringing some guys home:
- Hopgood is available for 2026 and would come straight into our Top 13.
- Brad Fearnley is stuck playing NSW Cup at Cronulla, likewise Billy Burns - both should be available for 2025.
- Corey Waddell can play edge of middle, and is a solid first grader. From what I've seen on socials he's still quite close with a lot of the Panthers boys, especially Cleary. Available 2025
- Spencer Leniu could come back for 2026. I've seen better players than him end up on the scrap heap at the Roosters after 2-3 average games.

As for externals:
- Nathan Brown could be a good 1-2 year option. He has the natural aggression and is a genuine enforcer when he's on. I'd back Ivan to get him back to peak fitness and get his head right for sustained performance.
- Jayd'n Sua has gone backwards at the Dragons, but at his best he can tear teams apart on the edge.
Both available for 2025

hindy111

Post Whore

Successfully clubs don't pay overs. Turuava value would be determined based on what's below him and coming thru.

hindy111

Post Whore
Does anyone think JFH left due to a better contract offer?
Let's say he is on 800k and 2yrs remain. There is a high chance once ready to negotiate he only gets 400k if form starts to drop off.
Warriors may of offered 900k plus the additional 2yrs which means he will be 32 when finishes and 33 if goes another season.
It basically keeps him on big dollars untill possible retirement and some gaurantee for his playing future.

WestyLife

First Grade
Let's say he is on 800k and 2yrs remain. There is a high chance once ready to negotiate he only gets 400k if form starts to drop off.
Warriors may of offered 900k plus the additional 2yrs which means he will be 32 when finishes and 33 if goes another season.
It basically keeps him on big dollars untill possible retirement and some gaurantee for his playing future.

What are you talking about? It's not a secret he went home due to family.

PANTHERMIKE

Juniors

Delete your account you Banana

Iamback

Coach

Correct. I think Luron will be huge but at 20 but he is 2 years from being a regular NRL player.

Even if no one is available, You stuff your cap overpaying for a winger for multiple seasons.

Worst case there is no one left, We are better off forward paying some guys and going hard for 2026

age.s

First Grade
Just on the culture thing, I suspect Nath and Yeo are as big or bigger factors on the work ethic and professionalism than Fish (great as he is).

But I do think this is the point at which we find out if the professionalism is genuinely systemic or if we've just been blessed with a once in a lifetime group of players.

Iamback

Coach
Just on the culture thing, I suspect Nath and Yeo are as big or bigger factors on the work ethic and professionalism than Fish (great as he is).

But I do think this is the point at which we find out if the professionalism is genuinely systemic or if we've just been blessed with a once in a lifetime group of players.

I think the fact we promote from within will show through here and we keep the same standards

Hairy Hamburger

Juniors
If I as looking for youngish replacements for JFHarris I would cast an eye over Peter Hola and Trey Mooney at the Raiders, Joe Chan and Aaron Pene at the Storm, Mat Crocker and Brodie Jones at the Knights, and if the Panthers are looking for a short term 1 Year fix, I would be talking to Jesse Bromwich at the Dolphins, is retiring but might be convinced of another Year, Great experience, Jarrod Wallace at the Dolphins, Coen Hess at the Cowboys and Marty Taupau at the Broncos.

If I as looking for youngish replacements for JFHarris I would cast an eye over Peter Hola and Trey Mooney at the Raiders, Joe Chan and Aaron Pene at the Storm, Mat Crocker and Brodie Jones at the Knights, and if the Panthers are looking for a short term 1 Year fix, I would be talking to Jesse Bromwich at the Dolphins, is retiring but might be convinced of another Year, Great experience, Jarrod Wallace at the Dolphins, Coen Hess at the Cowboys and Marty Taupau at the Broncos.
Bromich ,Hess and Taupau are all past tense.
Matt Cameron's phone would be red hot by now.
Trust in the system is my thought.

Fangs

Coach

“The money freed up by James leaving will allow Penrith to buy a front rower,” Greg Alexander said.

“I don’t know exactly which way we’ll go in terms of recruitment. I know Stefano’s name has been put forward. I don’t know how many players are off contract too at the end of this year. That’s an important part too.

“Having not sat down with the recruitment team and nutted out exactly which way we’re going, it’s too hard to read into the future.

“We’ve got some very good young front rowers playing in the NSW Cup. (But) I don’t think we’re asking them to step up.”

martielang

Bench
What are you talking about? It's not a secret he went home due to family.

Because the club said so? C'mooooon Westy, naive to think the length and value of deal hasn't played a huge factor in his decision. The Warriors have been looking for a kill to replace AFB, his manager knows that.

Not saying it was the sole reason but if the Warriors were offering a 2 year deal at $500k PA, I don't think Fish is feeling that same pull to go back home.

I think the fact we promote from within will show through here and we keep the same standards

You can though take that to extremes, which can wind up being detrimental. After the successes of 1981-1986, the Parramatta Eels took that line too thinking they could develop quality players to replace guys like Ella, Kenny, Grothe, Price, Sterling as they retired and didn't need to look at outside recruitment. Its part of what mired them in mediocrity for so long.

I doubt Penrith though would go to that extreme as they have shown, so far, they will recruit from outside as needs arise.

Black Panther

Juniors
Trey Mooney would be a good get.