What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fisher-Harris Released - ???

WestyLife

First Grade
Because the club said so? C'mooooon Westy, naive to think the length and value of deal hasn't played a huge factor in his decision. The Warriors have been looking for a kill to replace AFB, his manager knows that.

Not saying it was the sole reason but if the Warriors were offering a 2 year deal at $500k PA, I don't think Fish is feeling that same pull to go back home.

I'd normally agree but not for this specific situation. I honestly think fish would make the same decision with a smaller contract due to the nature of the whole thing with his family and it being international etc.

age.s

First Grade
Because the club said so? C'mooooon Westy, naive to think the length and value of deal hasn't played a huge factor in his decision. The Warriors have been looking for a kill to replace AFB, his manager knows that.

Not saying it was the sole reason but if the Warriors were offering a 2 year deal at $500k PA, I don't think Fish is feeling that same pull to go back home.
You could ask the same question another way. Why would we have agreed to release Fish if we though money/a better deal were primary motivations? If this has been brewing for months why haven't we ended up with AFB?

I think this is one of those situations where the stars aligned for this solution. Fish wanted to go back home while still being paid market value (obviously), Warriors wanted a quality front rower to replace their outgoing quality front rower and had cap space available, while we wanted to ensure we didn't have an unhappy member of our leadership group while taking an opportunity to rejuvenate our front row longer term.

Kilkenny

Coach

100% the four year deal sets him up long term and he gets to go home which was no doubt a major factor.

Kilkenny

Coach
I also tend to feel, and this may not be a popular opinion, that JFH has reached his peak. I don’t think his best years are in front of him. Not saying he can’t or won’t continue to do a good job for us or in his first season or two at the Warriors but I do think we may have seen his best.

soc123_au

Staff member
I also tend to feel, and this may not be a popular opinion, that JFH has reached his peak. I don’t think his best years are in front of him. Not saying he can’t or won’t continue to do a good job for us or in his first season or two at the Warriors but I do think we may have seen his best.
He probably isn't getting any better, but that would be a pretty high ceiling anyway. I think he has a few more years before a noticeable decline though. I would have had no concerns of not getting our moneys worth if he had stayed to see out his contract, it would have been the extension to follow that would take some serious thought.

4 years is a slight risk for the Warriors at the back end of it, but not enough of a risk that you wouldn't jump at it as they did. He isn't the kind of guy that is going to fall off a cliff form wise, injury aside.

Iamback

Coach
I'd normally agree but not for this specific situation. I honestly think fish would make the same decision with a smaller contract due to the nature of the whole thing with his family and it being international etc.

He played Rugby as a kid, If Warriors wasn't possible. He likely goes and plays Rugby.

Something has clearly came up at the funeral that has made him want to go home

WestyLife

First Grade
He played Rugby as a kid, If Warriors wasn't possible. He likely goes and plays Rugby.

Something has clearly came up at the funeral that has made him want to go home

Yeah Brandy said his brother who lives in germany is going home as well.

martielang

Bench
You could ask the same question another way. Why would we have agreed to release Fish if we though money/a better deal were primary motivations? If this has been brewing for months why haven't we ended up with AFB?

I think this is one of those situations where the stars aligned for this solution. Fish wanted to go back home while still being paid market value (obviously), Warriors wanted a quality front rower to replace their outgoing quality front rower and had cap space available, while we wanted to ensure we didn't have an unhappy member of our leadership group while taking an opportunity to rejuvenate our front row longer term.

Fish is obviously highly respected within the club (rightfully so), and I can't see in any world where we stand in his way if he has the opportunity to cash in on a longer deal. We have never been a club to hold a player against his will, let alone someone like him. Slap 'compassionate grounds' on it and nothing more is said about it.

I'm sure he was always intending to go home, and maybe recent events did fast track that, but a longer term, higher annual salary makes that decision a hell of a lot easier especially with a young family.

This isn't a knock on Fish either, the man deserves every cent he gets.

Kilkenny

Coach
In almost all instances it is about the money, length of the deal and all other considerations however important are secondary. This has been shown to be the case, time and time again using just our club as one example, never mind any other club. Brisbane Broncos excluded from this argument for obvious reasons.

Fish is obviously highly respected within the club (rightfully so), and I can't see in any world where we stand in his way if he has the opportunity to cash in on a longer deal. We have never been a club to hold a player against his will, let alone someone like him. Slap 'compassionate grounds' on it and nothing more is said about it.

I'm sure he was always intending to go home, and maybe recent events did fast track that, but a longer term, higher annual salary makes that decision a hell of a lot easier especially with a young family.

This isn't a knock on Fish either, the man deserves every cent he gets.
Agree with all of this.

Also don’t believe for a second this occurred since Saturday evening. I for one don’t care but there is no way this is nutted out in 72 hours. Sounds like a story concocted to protect the Warriors from any potential blow-back on tampering (from the wider media, doesn’t seem like the Panther’s side has any concerns).

WestyLife

First Grade
Agree with all of this.

Also don’t believe for a second this occurred since Saturday evening. I for one don’t care but there is no way this is nutted out in 72 hours. Sounds like a story concocted to protect the Warriors from any potential blow-back on tampering (from the wider media, doesn’t seem like the Panther’s side has any concerns).

If this was financial Panthers wouldn't have just said yes unconditionally for one of the best props in the game and their forward leader.

WestyLife

First Grade
This forward leader shite need to stop. It's like Yeo doesn't even exist. He's the middle actually taking runs and making 150m a game over 80mins

Hes a leader in some capacity. He's spoken about how ivan wanted it from him and developed it in him. I'm not going to be pedantic over definitions when I have to get up at 3am for work. The caffeine has long worn off.

Yeo is my favourite panther right now will be all time if he keeps this up.

Latest posts