What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd.5 v SeaEagles

globalpanther

Juniors
Big game before a bye, 4 pt win (with bye).

1.D EDWARDS
2.S TURUVA
3.I TAGO
4.T MAY
5.B TO’O
6.J LUAI
7.B SCHNEIDER
8.M LEOTA
9.M KENNY
10.L SMITH
11.L GARNER
12.L MARTIN
13.I YEO

14.D LAURIE
15.J FISHER-HARRIS (Ease into game,add oomph off bench this week)
16.L HENRY
17.M GEYER
18.M EISENHUTH

Chins get the wins

First Grade
I'd rest Fish and Marto.
Ivan also needs a plan to actually use Laurie or play someone else. Going into every game and only using 16 players is an unnecessary handicap.

snickers007

Juniors
I was surprised we stuck with Laurie for the Roosters game. Thought Peachey was the way to go, as he provides cover for Centre, Hooker, Back Row and Halves. And even though Larry Smith killed it when Marto went off, I still think Peachey should have been it.

I'd be resting Fish again, but playing Martin if possible. Our back row stocks are low this year. If we have Martin and Sorenson out, we don't have an 80min back rower available. A rotation of Garner, Geyer and ??? is pretty ordinary.

WestyLife

First Grade
On Twitter it was posted that Luai said cleary would be back next week. Not like we need it and Sneider looks right to do a job.

mxlegend99

Referee
1. Edwards
2. Turuva
3. Tago
4. May
5. To'o
6. Luai
7. Schneider (give Nate the 2 week rest by missing one game)
8. Leota
9. Kenny
10. Smith
11. Garner
12. Martin
13. Yeo

14. Alamoti / Cole
15. Henry
16. Riki / Grant (not sure on availability of these guys)
17. Geyer

Eisenhuth will get the job. But I would rather see another club debutant. Eisenhuth trying to force offloads and giving away stupid penalties. He just doesn't have the discipline he should have at this point of his career.

Laurie I assume isn't being used because we view him as a defensive liability due to his size? So maybe a utility with a bit more size is more likely to get a run. I want to see what Alamoti can do.

Fangs

Coach
So the bye means we rest anyone injured.

But it also means you give this 'B' team another run. Let them build on last night's performance. Schneider and Co will be back in first grade around Origin time so it might prove useful to play them together now.

2 points still very important. I expect Manly will throw a bit more at us than the Roosters did but we are too strong.

Dyl
Bizza
Tago
May
Tito
Luai
Schneids or Cleary if fit

Leota
Kenny
Smith or Fish if fit
Martin
Garner
Yeo

Laurie or Schneids if Cleary is fit to play
Henry
Eisenhuth or Smith to bench if Fish is fit to play
Geyer

Points I’d consider are -

Look to swap May and Tago around because it’s bound to happen a few times this season anyway and why not 🤷‍♂️ Ivan eluded as much in his presser that he does it and I see this game as one of those where he might do it.

If Fish and Cleary are out then keep Eiso in the side, I bagged him a lot during the Roosters game but he does defend well and seems to cover his 2-3 errors/penalties he makes with tight defence. He also gives tends to give those errors/penalties away at the right end of the field and not on their goal line. Super critical of him for sure but I understand why Ivan keeps going back to him.

If Cleary does play then have Schneids at 14 and use him like Cogs was used late last season. That one game in Panthers colours is enough for me to trust the belief I’ve had for a year where I keep saying his ceiling is higher than Cogs and SOS was.

If no Cleary then keep Laurie at 14, likewise I understand why Ivan has him in the 17.

If Martin does not play then Tago to second row and Peach, Alamoti or McLean into center. Considering Jesse has been flirting with wing in cup I’d say Peach or Alamoti have first dibs at center spot.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Dyl
Bizza
Tago
May
Tito
Luai
Schneids or Cleary if fit

Leota
Kenny
Smith or Fish if fit
Martin
Garner
Yeo

Laurie or Schneids if Cleary is fit to play
Henry
Eisenhuth or Smith to bench if Fish is fit to play
Geyer

Points I’d consider are -

Look to swap May and Tago around because it’s bound to happen a few times this season anyway and why not 🤷‍♂️ Ivan eluded as much in his presser that he does it and I see this game as one of those where he might do it.

If Fish and Cleary are out then keep Eiso in the side, I bagged him a lot during the Roosters game but he does defend well and seems to cover his 2-3 errors/penalties he makes with tight defence. He also gives tends to give those errors/penalties away at the right end of the field and not on their goal line. Super critical of him for sure but I understand why Ivan keeps going back to him.

If Cleary does play then have Schneids at 14 and use him like Cogs was used late last season. That one game in Panthers colours is enough for me to trust the belief I’ve had for a year where I keep saying his ceiling is higher than Cogs and SOS was.

If no Cleary then keep Laurie at 14, likewise I understand why Ivan has him in the 17.

If Martin does not play then Tago to second row and Peach, Alamoti or McLean into center. Considering Jesse has been flirting with wing in cup I’d say Peach or Alamoti have first dibs at center spot.
It's not Ivan's style to move Tago to the backrow at this point

It's not Ivan's style to move Tago to the backrow at this point
He might not have an option if Martin is out with Sorensen already out.

Maybe he debuts Hassett but considering Tago came into grade as a second rower and would have no issue playing in that position with center spots not an issue as far as depth is concerned then makes sense.

I believe Ivan would do it. If he had no issue with Garner or Hosking moving from second row to center, he will have no issue with Tago moving from center to second row.

maple_69

Bench
Ivan won’t rearrange the side to cover one position. He’ll back the replacement to do the job. This early in the season we need Tago playing centre where he’ll be playing in the grand final. Once our connection and fluency improves I can see Ivan changing things a bit more.

Id go Edwards, To’o, May, Tago, Tito, Luai, Schneider, Leota, Kenny, Smith, Garner, Geyer, Yeo, Alamoti, Henry, Fish, Peach

Smith can give you 20 mins on an edge to give Garner a spell, then you just need 20-30 from Peach to spell Mav who is an 80 min player in Cup. It’s not an exciting backrow rotation but it won’t lose us the game. Our middles, back 3 and defence will win it.

4-1 after that opening list of fixtures/our traditional early season rust, a bye to rest up Cleary and Marto and we will be cooking this season.

MugaB

Coach
He might not have an option if Martin is out with Sorensen already out.

Maybe he debuts Hassett but considering Tago came into grade as a second rower and would have no issue playing in that position with center spots not an issue as far as depth is concerned then makes sense.

I believe Ivan would do it. If he had no issue with Garner or Hosking moving from second row to center, he will have no issue with Tago moving from center to second row.
Mate he brought in geyer to a bench job in at 2nd row, give him the go again, it save reshuffling 4 positions to one

Girds89

Bench
If nath, jfh and marto aremt 100% fit then rest them!! If theyre out id go with-

1. Edwards
2. Too
3. Tiny
4. Tago
5. Tito
6. Luai
7. BS
8. Leota
9. Kenny
10. Eiso
11. Garner
12. Lindsay smith
13. Yeo

14. Peachy
15. Henry
16. Lisati
17. Geyer

Few points.

Thought Lindsay was terrific on the weekend and he did well playing wider.. its no ideal having him play there but i dont think geyer is up to starting and big mins in fg yet. So Lindsay cam take the first 25 and hopefully mav can see out the last 55 and we can rotate Lindsay back on for garner later on. Have him marking up against olekautua or however you spell his name. Hes been great on the edge for manly this year so need to shut him down.

Henry has been great so far. Id give him more mins hes capable.

Lisati only getting a run cause i don't believe jordan grant is available to after rd 12 or whatever it is. Plus lisati goes ok off the bench in 15 min busrt which is all wed really need given leota, eiso and henry can all play long mins.

And peach for the 14. He covers everywhere. Yes he is past his best. Yes hes not great cover everywhere but he can cover spots. Hes also been one of the best in cup this year so far.

I like laurie but if hes not going to play then i think that spot could be better used.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
If nath, jfh and marto aremt 100% fit then rest them!! If theyre out id go with-

1. Edwards
2. Too
3. Tiny
4. Tago
5. Tito
6. Luai
7. BS
8. Leota
9. Kenny
10. Eiso
11. Garner
12. Lindsay smith
13. Yeo

14. Peachy
15. Henry
16. Lisati
17. Geyer

Few points.

Thought Lindsay was terrific on the weekend and he did well playing wider.. its no ideal having him play there but i dont think geyer is up to starting and big mins in fg yet. So Lindsay cam take the first 25 and hopefully mav can see out the last 55 and we can rotate Lindsay back on for garner later on. Have him marking up against olekautua or however you spell his name. Hes been great on the edge for manly this year so need to shut him down.

Lisati only getting a run cause i don't believe jordan grant is available to after rd 12 or whatever it is. Plus lisati goes ok off the bench in 15 min busrt which is all wed really need given leota, eiso and henry can all play long mins.

And peach for the 14. He covers everywhere. Yes he is past his best. Yes hes not great cover everywhere but he can cover spots. Hes also been one of the best in cup this year so far.

I like laurie but if hes not going to play then i think that spot could be better used.
Honest question for you and others who think Peach covers all these positions, especially hooker. Have you seen him play them? He's a centre only now, I don't even think he really covers backrow anymore

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade

1. Edwards
2. Too
3. Tiny
4. Tago
5. Tito
6. Luai
7. BS
8. Leota
9. Kenny
10. Eiso
11. Garner
12. Lindsay smith
13. Yeo

14. Peachy
15. Henry
16. Lisati
17. Geyer

Few points.

I could run with that. Peach offers a little bit off the bench. Rest up Marto, Clez & Fish till after the bye.

I think it could work well.

Girds89

Bench
Honest question for you and others who think Peach covers all these positions, especially hooker. Have you seen him play them? He's a centre only now, I don't even think he really covers backrow anymore

Let me answer your question with a question!

What happens if kenny goes down in min 5 and laurie is on the bench?

Then you probs have to move luai to 9 and run with 7. Bs and 6 laurie.

Not ideal.

If a centre goes down you likely have to run with laurie at centre or garner gets moved and laurie is still sitting on the bench and ur just down a bench spot.

He literally covers 6, 1 and wing at a pinch without completely rejigging things and moving multiple players around.

Peach has filled in at 9 multiple times for us simce hes been here and hes played as a back up 9 throughout his career.

Hes also played 2md row and centre and 5/8 throughout his career.

Ive read you knock peach all the time but im a big advocate for picking players in form and that are doing the job in nsw cup.

Peach has been good to start the year in cup.

He brings a lot of experience. I dont really buy inti the rocks and diamonds thing anymore. As he has gotten older he is less expansive and plays to the game plan, probably as a result of being in our system.

He has the odd mistake and penalty in him but lets face it, its no more then eiso or luai etc.

He can definitely fill in the centres and 2nd row. And given all kenmy does is pass at 9 then he can fill that role too. Yes we lose a bit im terms of kennys great defence... but we lose that anyway with soni or sommo or jack cole etc. None of them are Kenny.

If he had to play 6 its not ideal but yoid just get him running the ball direct and really take om the line and the 7 needs to step up.

You think he cant fill in at hooker if he has to... why??

He can pass both ways. Wouldn't go rogue like soni does. He is a solid enough defender in the middle. And he covers other spots...

And this is the big one... hes been one of the better players in cup.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Let me answer your question with a question!

What happens if kenny goes down in min 5 and laurie is on the bench?

Then you probs have to move luai to 9 and run with 7. Bs and 6 laurie.

Not ideal.

If a centre goes down you likely have to run with laurie at centre or garner gets moved and laurie is still sitting on the bench and ur just down a bench spot.

He literally covers 6, 1 and wing at a pinch without completely rejigging things and moving multiple players around.

Peach has filled in at 9 multiple times for us simce hes been here and hes played as a back up 9 throughout his career.

Hes also played 2md row and centre and 5/8 throughout his career.

Ive read you knock peach all the time but im a big advocate for picking players in form and that are doing the job in nsw cup.

Peach has been good to start the year in cup.

He brings a lot of experience. I dont really buy inti the rocks and diamonds thing anymore. As he has gotten older he is less expansive and plays to the game plan, probably as a result of being in our system.

He has the odd mistake and penalty in him but lets face it, its no more then eiso or luai etc.

He can definitely fill in the centres and 2nd row. And given all kenmy does is pass at 9 then he can fill that role too. Yes we lose a bit im terms of kennys great defence... but we lose that anyway with soni or sommo or jack cole etc. None of them are Kenny.

If he had to play 6 its not ideal but yoid just get him running the ball direct and really take om the line and the 7 needs to step up.

You think he cant fill in at hooker if he has to... why??

He can pass both ways. Wouldn't go rogue like soni does. He is a solid enough defender in the middle. And he covers other spots...

And this is the big one... hes been one of the better players in cup.
Peach is a hopeless 9 I can't see how Laurie would be worse in attack or defence