What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 18 - Warriors vs Rabbitohs: Friday 30th June 8pm @Go Media Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
Righteo, session just finished and the boys have gone back inside the gym.

Firstly, wow what a friggin experience!! That was so cool! Probably one of the coolest things I've experienced Souhs wise in my whole life! Amazing and I am friggin buzzing man!

Got to meet pretty much all the boys, they were all very giving with their time and pretty relaxed today so I got to chat a bit.

They seem like a very, very happy group despite the losses. Everyone out there smiling, hugging, laughing etc so that's good to see. Great morale it seems. I've gotta say they do seem pretty excited which is hopefully a good sign.

Not a bad turn out of members, there was probably about 20 people there which isn't bad. Great meeting some of them.

And now the bit we all want to know, how will the side line up?

Turmoil in the backs, it looks like a whole new backline out there.

Mixed news on Stretch. I asked one of the performance staff if he was playing and he told me he just sat out the session. They're making a call on him this afternoon. However, I spoke to Campbell directly, asked him if he was playing, and he said 'not at this stage.' Those were his exact words so it doesn't sound good, I'd say he's not gonna play as that's straight from the horses mouth. Gutted about that. Taane will take his place.

Doesn't sound like Tassy is gonna play because he's not here, Kennar to left center, that's how he trained.

The other big news is Munro 100% confirmed to be debuting on the right. He did the full session there and Cody gave him some catching practice afterwards so he's playing which is exciting but also scary.

Hard to get a read on the pack as they were swapping in and out but it all looks as program.

So it looks like it'll be,

Taaffe
Johnston
Kennar
Milne
Munro
Walker
Ilias
Tatola
Cook
Sele
Koloamatangi
Chee Kam
Murray

Havili
Mitchell
Moale
Burgess

That backline terrifies me but it is what it is.

In terms of the actual session, it was very short. Probably only out 30 minutes all up. They did a quick warm up, a couple of drills, three kick return sets, 5 defensive sets and the 5 attacking sets. Didn't really see many structured attacking plays as such but I will say, it did look all pretty sharp.

One of the performance staff said that since it's such a short turnaround, today's session was really really light. They had the main session yesterday and today's was more just to have a bit of a run and get moving. Still awesome to see though.

Forwards did a few extras, as did both halves and wingers. Hosty was out there about 15mins longer than everyone else and he was getting absolutely destroyed with shuttle runs. It looked like a punishment. He was buggered afterwards and said to me 'I'm never getting suspended again.'

All in all, I've had an absolute blast. One of the best days of my life. Absolutely buzzing. But with the side we're gonna run out, my nerves have increased substantially.

Still, we can do this!!! Lesssgoooo!!

handyman2190

Bench

Firstly, wow what a friggin experience!! That was so cool! Probably one of the coolest things I've experienced Souhs wise in my whole life! Amazing and I am friggin buzzing man!

Got to meet pretty much all the boys, they were all very giving with their time and pretty relaxed today so I got to chat a bit.

They seem like a very, very happy group despite the losses. Everyone out there smiling, hugging, laughing etc so that's good to see. Great morale it seems. I've gotta say they do seem pretty excited which is hopefully a good sign.

Not a bad turn out of members, there was probably about 20 people there which isn't bad. Great meeting some of them.

Mixed news on Stretch. I asked one of the performance staff if he was playing and he told me he just sat out the session. They're making a call on him this afternoon. However, I spoke to Campbell directly, asked him if he was playing, and he said 'not at this stage.' Those were his exact words so it doesn't sound good, I'd say he's not gonna play as that's straight from the horses mouth. Gutted about that. Taane will take his place.

Doesn't sound like Tassy is gonna play because he's not here, Kennar to left center, that's how he trained.

The other big news is Munro 100% confirmed to be debuting on the right. He did the full session there and Cody gave him some catching practice afterwards so he's playing which is exciting but also scary.

Hard to get a read on the pack as they were swapping in and out but it all looks as program.

Taaffe
Johnston
Kennar
Milne
Munro
Walker
Ilias
Tatola
Cook
Sele
Koloamatangi
Chee Kam
Murray

Havili
Mitchell
Moale
Burgess

In terms of the actual session, it was very short. Probably only out 30 minutes all up. They did a quick warm up, a couple of drills, three kick return sets, 5 defensive sets and the 5 attacking sets. Didn't really see many structured attacking plays as such but I will say, it did look all pretty sharp.

One of the performance staff said that since it's such a short turnaround, today's session was really really light. They had the main session yesterday and today's was more just to have a bit of a run and get moving. Still awesome to see though.

Forwards did a few extras, as did both halves and wingers. Hosty was out there about 15mins longer than everyone else and he was getting absolutely destroyed with shuttle runs. It looked like a punishment. He was buggered afterwards and said to me 'I'm never getting suspended again.'

All in all, I've had an absolute blast. One of the best days of my life. Absolutely buzzing. But with the side we're gonna run out, my nerves have increased substantially.

Mate im glad youve met ,talked to the boys,glad your happy its got to be a great buzz, but were in trouble, im sick to my stomach , im hoping its not a big loss,ive got no confidence

Hellray

Juniors
Geeze. That is a scary backline. Maybe we should put Chee Kam into the centres instead of Kennar. Add another forward to the bench.
Munro will be exciting to see I hope he can handle it

Hellray

Juniors

Taaffe
Johnston
Kennar
Milne
Munro
Walker
Ilias
Tatola
Cook
Sele
Koloamatangi
Chee Kam
Murray

Havili
Mitchell
Moale
Burgess

Hey Callmack did you happen to notice anyone else there training other than who was named?

callmack1

Staff member
Owning the Moments the Emphasis for Demetriou: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/owning-the-moments-the-emphasis-for-demetriou

I didn't get to hear JD's pre game day media conference in person as the boys were doing some extras so I was watching that, but really enjoyed that. Cool how he mentioned us fans that turned up to the captain's run and great to hear how often he mentioned that the boys are loving being back in NZ. He said that to me too, he said it's a nice place to be and everyone is so welcoming.

Gallery - Captain's Run Round 18 vs Warriors: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/gallery-captains-run-round-18-vs-warriors

Rookie flyer set for debut for Souths as scratching forces major reshuffle - Late Mail: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/bf59eaf461955af3a3b5a1db4cecca08

Pretty much confirms what I've already told ya haha.

South Sydney Rabbitohs happy to repay Kiwi fans for NZ Warriors' COVID-19 sacrifices: https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/spor...fans-for-nz-warriors-covid-19-sacrifices.html

callmack1

Staff member
Hey Callmack did you happen to notice anyone else there training other than who was named?
Yep, it seemed the entire top 30 was out there except for Tass, Graham, Mitchell, Arrow, and Knight.

All the usual NSW Cup guys were there.

On another note, I chatted with JD for about 5 minutes which was cool! Really nice guy. Asked me all sorts about where I was from, when I travelled to Auckland, how I became a Rabbitohs fan, how long I've been a member for etc.

I asked him how we were going to turn this all around, especially defensively and he mentioned he gave them all probably the biggest rev up he's probably ever given in his career during their review so that was interesting. He's really confident we will, in fact he said he knows we will so that's good enough for me.

I'm in awe of JD to be honest, what a man.

Ughhhhh! Want it to be game day already! The nervous energy is going to kill me tonight!

It's certainly going to have to be a miracle now isn't it? I'm really, really nervous now. I don't feel negative, probably because I'm still on a high from the captain's run and literally just had one of the best days of my life, but I am realistic. I know how hard this is going to be tomorrow night now.

But you know what else I know? I know we are capable. Unlikely, but capable. Everyone will write us off, Warriors fans are crowing around here and are extremely cocky already, but we thrive on being underdogs. Write us off at your own peril.

handyman2190

Bench
Yep, it seemed the entire top 30 was out there except for Tass, Graham, Mitchell, Arrow, and Knight.

On another note, I chatted with JD for about 5 minutes which was cool! Really nice guy. Asked me all sorts about where I was from, when I travelled to Auckland, how I became a Rabbitohs fan, how long I've been a member for etc.

I asked him how we were going to turn this all around, especially defensively and he mentioned he gave them all probably the biggest rev up he's probably ever given in his career during their review so that was interesting. He's really confident we will, in fact he said he knows we will so that's good enough for me.

Ughhhhh! Want it to be game day already! The nervous energy is going to kill me tonight!

It's certainly going to have to be a miracle now isn't it? I'm really, really nervous now. I don't feel negative, probably because I'm still on a high from the captain's run and literally just had one of the best days of my life, but I am realistic. I know how hard this is going to be tomorrow night now.

But you know what else I know? I know we are capable. Unlikely, but capable. Everyone will write us off, Warriors fans are crowing around here and are extremely cocky already, but we thrive on being underdogs. Write us off at your own peril.
Good on you callmac,i wish i was thete with u

Travitoh

First Grade

Taaffe
Johnston
Kennar
Milne
Munro
Walker
Ilias
Tatola
Cook
Sele
Koloamatangi
Chee Kam
Murray

Havili
Mitchell
Moale
Burgess

What an experience dude! Couldn't think of someone more deversing to experience it too. Hopefully we get the win to top it all off for you

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs 19-man Squad for Round 18 vs Warriors: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/rabbitohs-19-man-squad

The 19-Man squad doesn't tell us much. Stretch is still listed to be playing, with Milne filling in at left center and Kennar on the wing. But to be honest, I have no hope that Campbell will play. If he was, why would they train Kennar at left center and Milne right with Tyrone outside him? If Stretch was playing, they would have trained Taane on the left.

So unfortunately, I don't think we can get too excited, I'm still pretty certain Stretch is out.

South icon called to rescue 'in the wars' Bunnies: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/news-2...d-season/05a5e46f-2ada-4aa6-9fd0-ed7bfd3ef519

Silly article, that won't happen. We need an attitude adjustment, not a coaching director.

What an experience dude! Couldn't think of someone more deversing to experience it too. Hopefully we get the win to top it all off for you
Thanks bro!! Really appreciate that. You and me both!!

callmack1

Staff member
Here we go!!! Rise and shine ladies and gentlemen, get up and get moving all you South Sydney members and fans, it's game day once again!!! We've got a monumental one here tonight as we take on the high-flying Warriors, at home, over here in NZ. Given the two form lines of the teams and what's at stake, this game, for me, has become as big as playing someone like Penrith or the Roosters. It's a genuine blockbuster now given how the Warriors are going and the crowd is going to reflect that. It's sold out so we're going to face a very hostile environment today.

This is one of my most exciting games of the year as you all know. I'll be there, decked out in Red and Green, clapping my hands, stomping my feet and screaming my lungs out, doing everything I possibly can to get the boys home. We need all the support we can get.

Looking at the Warriors, well, there's a very different feel around them this year. I have mates that are Warriors fans so I watch a lot of their games and I've got to say, their turnaround under Andrew Webster in 2023 has been absolutely incredible. They've really turned a corner and are a different team this year. So much so, that I think they're the real deal this year and they're capable of finishing in the top four, that's the way they're headed right now. Just their whole mentality is different, they have a really hard, steely edge to them, and they play a great brand of Footy. There's a lot of desire, resilience and accountability in this side now and they get all the one percenters right. They don't make errors, they put in effort after effort every week, and the results have been showing for them as they currently sit 5th. There is not many weaknesses in this side anymore, everyone in their line up seems incredibly strong in everything they do. It's star-studded and has plenty of strike. A backline that is red hot right now, a halves pairing that is in career-best form, backed up by one of the best packs in the comp. Honestly, they're going to be extremely hard to beat but I think the key to doing it is the forward battle. That's what will decide this game today in my opinion.

For us, I want to see the boys put the foot down today and snap themselves out of this slump. We really need to. We've reached the point now where honestly, enough is enough. If it carries on like this any longer, the Season will start slipping away so we really need to arrest the slide as soon as possible and that has top start tonight. We've lost 4 out of our last 5 and I am sick of it. Absolutely sick of it. If we don't, I shudder to think what the Warriors will do to us tonight. We MUST steady the ship, we MUST stand up, take some pride in that mighty Red and Green jersey, and say 'enough is enough,' we need to be better. I'm sick of it and it ends today. Make no mistake, this is a real challenge today, probably one of the biggest of our Season thus far. It shouldn't be, we shouldn't be in this bad of a position, but here we are. The Warriors are currently playing much better Footy than us and they're playing in front of their sold out Stadium. In saying that though, in a way, I feel like that helps us today. Our issue over the last five weeks has been attitude and complacency. Well, given the situation, there should be no complacency tonight. The boys should be desperate. Our backs are certainly against the wall, everything is against us, especially with a few players out. We're massive underdogs against the Warriors for the first time in a long time. But you know what? That's what South Sydney is all about. That's what we thrive on so I'm calling on all the boys to thrive and lift tonight. There is a lot of doubt around this side at the moment but we certainly can do it. We are capable. It'll be a massive turnaround but we're capable. If, and that's a big if at the moment, we can get back to that Rabbitohs Footy we were playing to open the year. Over to you boys, show us that you want this. Our backs are well and truly against the wall and it's time to stand up.

This game is personal for me. It means everything. I'll be there for the first time since 2019 so I'll be there. The crowd will be against me but I don't care. I'll be doing everything I can to get the boys home. Being a Kiwi, playing the Warriors is always personal. I have a lot of mates that support them so if we were to lose, I'd never hear the end of it. Actually being there live just amplifies that. I've never seen Warriors fans this cocky, never in my life, especially after news of more players we could have out. They think they're putting 50 on us tonight. I'd love nothing more than to shock everyone and wipe that smile off their faces.

Game day and I'm fired up, absolutely pumped let's goooooooo!!

Glory, Glory.

callmack1

Staff member
The weather ain't the nicest today that's for sure. For someone from New Plymouth to say that, where it's not exactly tropical in the winter, is saying something. Showers at the moment but it's meant to get worse later on. Gonna be very cold too. Lucky, I brought my thermals.

Walking around Auckland today has fired me up. I've never seen Warriors fans this cocky. Ever. I guess it's somewhat warranted but honestly, some of the stuff that's been said to me today is bordering on arrogant, they clearly don't know what we're capable of if we get out of this slump. Jeez I'd love to do it!!

Not long to go now, I'll be heading off in the next hour and a bit.

Rabbits20

Immortal

Well here we are Game Day is upon us as take on the Warriors tonight over in NZ! A crucial game in the contest of our season. We had such a good start to the year but we have hit a slump losing 4 of our last 5. We really have gone away from what we had been doing well. In fact last week against the Cowboys that second half was disgraceful re our attitude in defence. In fact it’s been bad for 5 weeks leaking 32-33 points a game on avg. It is a big concern and after that loss to the Cowboys and JD having sprayed the boys massively on Monday I’m hoping that is a line in the sand moment in our season it just has to be. So the boys have been in NZ for 3 days now time to reset and some time to bond together as a team away from home, a time to come together look each other in the eye stop playing as individuals and look at your mate and work hard for each other. We really need to find back some resilience in our game we all know what the boys can do now it’s a matter of doing it and turning things around. It all starts with attitude the boys have to want this badly and dig deep. No doubt about it though it’s going to be a massive ask over there as the Warriors have sold the joint out and are playing such good footy.

Looking at the Warriors what a turn around it has been from them this season under Webster they are playing so well. They have SJ ho has wound the clock back form wise, Young Metcalf and CNK playing very well. They have strength and strike out wide too and ability to put plenty of points on and their pack is where it’s all started AFB is in career best form and Tohu is leading the way and they’re really putting in and laying the platform. We can’t let them offload at will as that will hurt us. Looking at us still no Trell and Arrow hurts and it looks like Tass and Campbell are both out too which makes it even harder. It’ll be a great moment tonight to see Munro debut what a proud moment for this kid and he deserves it. I’m liking the look of Havili and Shaq back in as well. Bit for us it’s all about attitude as I said in defence and all areas of our game. All those little effort areas like kick chase line speed not giving silly penalties away our kicking game too we must be better. It’s meant to be wet and windy over there so it’s probably gonna be won in the forwards we must match the Warriors here. We need to put kick pressure on SJ as well.

Our backs are against the wall as I said but I know we have it in us the boys have to desperately want it we will have to dig very deep but we can do it. To Callmack my mate enjoy it all mate soak it all in I hope you have a blast and hopefully we can pull off a memorable win mate.

ALL RABBITOHS MEMBERS AND SUPPORTERS ON YA FEET AT 5:58PM (7:58PM NZ TIME) WEAR THE COLOURS PROUDLY STAMP YA FEET SHOUT YOUR LUNGS OUT LETS GET OUR SEASON BACK ON TRACK LETS GRAB THESE VITAL 2 POINTS LETS GO RABBITOHS!!!!

callmack1

Staff member
Wow what a shake up. I don't really know what to make of it.

It's a wet track so I'm not sure if Cooky will have that impact we're after. Hope I'm wrong.

I like the other changes, especially Tom starting. Been against it in the past but Sele has dropped form. We'll set the platform with Tom early.

Munro won't play center I'm telling you. He's right wing.

Weather update, it's soooo cold. Strong breeze favoring left to right. Showers coming and going but when it comes they're heavy.

So pumped, go get it boys!!!!