What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

South Queensland Crushers

kdalymc

Bench
I own one of the Crushers away jerseys! Will get some pictures tonight.

Both the Broncs and Crushers fielded teams in the old Winfield State League before it became the Queensland Cup in 1996, which would be where that photo came from. There’s a video somewhere of Brisbane playing (I think) Redcliffe in such a game
Where’s ya pics
And @PARRA_FAN and more about that jersey?
@steeden. did the broncs team have any of the 88 squad? Or was it more a Reggie’s get up until 88 when Wally, Gene etc came on board?

kdalymc

Bench
The reserves was in 96, not 86.

There was no Broncos of any level pre-88
Wot?
Crushers played in q cup (brl) in 94, and he stated apparently the broncos had a squad too (in 87 I would assume) I know there was A reserve grade, but I’m asking about q cup

Brutus

Referee
Wot?
Crushers played in q cup (brl) in 94, and he stated apparently the broncos had a squad too (in 87 I would assume) I know there was A reserve grade, but I’m asking about q cup

No Broncos in 1987 at all. Trials, reserve grade, under 15s anything.

The Broncos weren't even announced as an entity until mid-way through the 87 season.

Their first televised matches were trials against a NZ Presidents 13 and Canberra at Lang Park.

Several Crushers BRL games were televised in 94.

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
Wot?

You might have skipped read that a bit.

Yes, the Broncos and Crushers fielded teams in the QCup for a while, but not before they played at the top level in the Broncos case.

Note the BRL isn't the same as the QCup(State League) and confusingly Winfield sponsored the BRL, State League(QCup) and Sydney Comp.

So saying Winfield Cup/League can be confusing.

Canard

Immortal
K sweet. Wierd the crushers had a go, but can’t find any info at all except for that pic

Importantly the Crushers were a QRL run and owned club, so they could do things like that.

The privately owned Broncos were never well liked by the QRL(at the time) and wouldn't be given any such opportunities.

The QRL felt they should have been the one entering the NSWRL in 88 and the Broncos were interlopers.

kdalymc

Bench
Importantly the Crushers were a QRL run and owned club, so they could do things like that.

The privately owned Broncos were never well liked by the QRL(at the time) and wouldn't be given any such opportunities.

The QRL felt they should have been the one entering the NSWRL in 88 and the Broncos were interlopers.
Cheers.
Any more info about the crushers in 94?

Diesel

Coach
The whole name was just redundant considering we had a team in Brisbane and Gold Coast- both in southern Queensland ...
We had a team named North Queenland entering and then they had to have a South Queensland for something different, or so it appeared

Prior to playing in 1995, probably around 93/94 I saw the Crushers referred to as either South-East Queensland Crushers or simply Brisbane Crushers

beave

Coach
The name and logo is a perfect fit for a CQ team, not so much SQ

it’s probably even more apt for an NQ side, there’s a fair bit of sugar cane up there as well.

I was always a fan of ‘Marlins’ for NQ, much more apt than Cowboys but it is what it is.

King hit

Coach
it’s probably even more apt for an NQ side, there’s a fair bit of sugar cane up there as well.

I was always a fan of ‘Marlins’ for NQ, much more apt than Cowboys but it is what it is.

What about the NQL box jellyfish

Seems far more intimidating then Marlins

anjado

Juniors
We had a team named North Queenland entering and then they had to have a South Queensland for something different, or so it appeared

Prior to playing in 1995, probably around 93/94 I saw the Crushers referred to as either South-East Queensland Crushers or simply Brisbane Crushers

I always thought the Crushers were admitted first well before the Cowboys were and the Cowboys were more a last minute addition.

As for the Crushers themselves, it was a thoroughly stupid name the South-East Queensland Crushers that name just had no flow to it and they should have been known as the Brisbane somethings maybe Bulls or something.

The Jersey's themselves had too much of a design if any team should have stuck to a simple V design it's the Crushers. Mustard or apparently Aztec gold for home and navy blue away I think they may have looked pretty good.

As for on the pitch, The Crushers had 74 players in their history in fact if you made the best team of players from the Crushers it would actually be pretty decent except in the playmaking department they never had a good 9,7 or 6 but they had decent enough players in every other position.

As I become older I really miss these old teams the first round of the 1995 season was genuinely one of the most exciting times to ever be a Rugby League fan.

Latest posts