What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team list thread - vs Dogs Rnd 12

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I reckon Nathan Cayless is a vastly under-rated player.

He was never the best in the world at his position, but he was skilful, and a good leader.

He, and Hindy, carried this team for years.
I feel like, under the very fast ruck rules of 2001, he might've been the best forward in the world at the time. But in later years he was a bit undersized for the slower game. He had everything else, including footwork, ball skills and a big motor. He'd probably go pretty well today. I think Nathan Brown is similar.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I feel like, under the very fast ruck rules of 2001, he might've been the best forward in the world at the time. But in later years he was a bit undersized for the slower game. He had everything else, including footwork, ball skills and a big motor. He'd probably go pretty well today. I think Nathan Brown is similar.

I reckon you're right.

I think Nathan Cayless had more skill than Nathan Brown, but Brown has more aggression, and perhaps even a better workrate.

Still - Cayless captained his country to a World Cup. Not many people can lay claim to that feat.

Last edited:

hindy111

Post Whore
Which one had the better career? One played double the NRL games and four times the number of rep games. The other won a premiership, like Daniel Mortimer.

By time Jason was at his best Nathan was a plodder. Yeah good leader but an average prope. Jason at his peak was one of best in game.

hindy111

Post Whore

He was never the best in the world at his position, but he was skilful, and a good leader.

I reckon both hung around a few yrs to long. Hindmarsh last few years was like watching an old lady take a hit up. He was done

crocodile

Bench
He had a pretty handy offload too. Didn't use it often but when he did, it stuck. not like 25% Mateo.

crocodile

Bench
I reckon you're right.

I think Nathan Cayless had more skill than Nathan Brown, but Brown has more aggression, and perhaps even a better workmate.

Still - Cayless captained his country to a World Cup. Not many people can lay claim to that feat.
Nrown is still young enough. He has shown glimpses of developing a decent offload. Give him time.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
TBH I’m surprised they haven’t pointed out that of our starting line up, the only player who hasn’t been associated with another club is Drown, a kiwi.
Except Gus tells me the only other team Sivo has played with is Gundagai
They used to call him the Dog on the Kava Box.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I reckon you're right.

I think Nathan Cayless had more skill than Nathan Brown, but Brown has more aggression, and perhaps even a better workmate.

I bet he'd swap it in a heatbeat for a premiership.

Like Hindy, he was the ultimate product of the B.Smith years. Incredibly capable and occassionally brilliant, but nervous of failure which showed in his lack of leadership during difficult times.

Kornstar

Coach

I actually think the opposite. He was a player who was good and sometimes better than good and was held in high regard however he always failed us in the big games.

I actually really liked him and consider him a legend of the Eels but my reasoning for that is that he was a club man of the highest order and served us better than most ever had, especially over some of the periods we had after Smith left us but was never on the same level as Hindmarsh imo.

Gazzamatta

Coach
I actually think the opposite. He was a player who was good and sometimes better than good and was held in high regard however he always failed us in the big games.

I actually really liked him and consider him a legend of the Eels but my reasoning for that is that he was a club man of the highest order and served us better than most ever had, especially over some of the periods we had after Smith left us but was never on the same level as Hindmarsh imo.
Isnt he now an assistant coach at The Chooks. I ask because I havent seen him or heard him mentioned this year?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
By time Jason was at his best Nathan was a plodder. Yeah good leader but an average prope. Jason at his peak was one of best in game.
If that was the case he would've played more than 110 NRL games. I think he was lucky to play in some very good teams so he never had the opportunity to look crap

Eelementary

Post Whore
I bet he'd swap it in a heatbeat for a premiership.

Like Hindy, he was the ultimate product of the B.Smith years. Incredibly capable and occassionally brilliant, but nervous of failure which showed in his lack of leadership during difficult times.

Yeah, fair call.

It's early days, but I'm impressed with Gutherson 's leadership.

Eelementary

Post Whore

He's certainly an Eels legend!