What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storm Rorts Report

Mickyd39

Juniors
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/moodie-queries-integrity-of-probe-20100713-109fc.html

MELBOURNE Storm chairman Rob Moodie has questioned the validity of an audit commissioned by News Ltd that is understood to show the club has breached the salary cap by $3.2 million over the past five years.
The findings of the audit by accountancy firm Deloitte are expected to be released this week but senior Melbourne officials and players say they doubt whether a report that was paid for by News Ltd, owners of the Storm and 50 per cent stakeholders in the NRL, can be truly independent.
Many at the club fear News Ltd is protecting its own agenda, with Moodie telling the Herald yesterday: "It was clear from the outset that the inquiry was set up to serve the best interests of News Ltd rather than the best interests of the Melbourne Storm."

One member of the Storm's backroom staff added: "It seems slightly ridiculous that News have been billing this report as independent. How can it be when they paid for it? Everybody knows News has an agenda given their conflicts of interest. You also have to wonder at how insightful Deloitte's findings can be as most people wouldn't speak to them.''
It is believed Deloitte had sought to speak with about 40 people involved with the Storm but that more than half refused to meet with the auditors. Many of those who declined interviews did so after the accounting firm refused to guarantee confidentiality, with players, in particular, fearing details they revealed would end up in News Ltd newspapers.
While News Ltd received Deloitte's report last week, it has not yet been seen by the independent directors. Their only knowledge of the findings came when News Ltd's chief operating officer, Peter Macourt, phoned Moodie yesterday to outline some of its details and to call on the club's independent directors to resign.
During that conversation, it is understood Macourt admitted not all the evidence from the Deloitte investigation would be made public. According to a source close to the club's independent directors, Macourt told Moodie some of the findings were ''much too difficult'' to be released.
However, Macourt, who oversees all rugby league issues for Rupert Murdoch's media company and is on the NRL partnership committee, is also believed to have told the Storm chairman that auditors had uncovered emails that would reflect poorly on the independent directors.
But a source close to the independent board members, who are taking the NRL to court over the punishment handed down for the salary cap breaches, said they were looking forward to reading the report. "The directors are keen to see what the Deloitte report says and their lawyers will be reading it carefully for anything which is defamatory," one insider said.
The court case in which the independent board members will claim the NRL failed to follow due process when deciding to strip the club of the 2007 and 2009 premierships is due to begin on August 2.
Macourt yesterday told Moodie he was disappointed the independent directors had not taken up News' offer of ''mediation''. But a club insider said: "It's fanciful for Macourt to claim they refused mediation. He basically told them to drop their court action at a meeting in May."

I wonder why no one would talk with the people from Deloitte:roll:

What a load of crap that the people who refused to speak with them were scared information would be leaked. They were scared of getting caught out for lying, cheating and whatever else they were up to.

If they have got nothing to hide they should not be scared.

Moodie is the biggest merkin in the game, besides Slater.

Doomednow

Bench
Everyone involved needs to go down. This has carried on for too long. Just end it, cut out the rot, and be done with it. The way the guilty parties are carrying on this will stuff up next season as well. We can't let that happen. I have run out of empathy for the Storm.

babyg

Juniors
The bit that worries me is that it said Deloittes asked player agents what the players are worth and then they compared that figure to what was on the books. To me that methology is flawed and will only create a bigger gap.

morley101

Juniors
No wonder they were so far over the cap if they are paying Anthony Quinn
$300,000 a season.

Last edited:

Magpies Forever

Juniors
As Directors, they are supposed to know that auditors ARE independent- that is the whole point of their being auditors. To question their report not on merit but by making inferences on who engages them just goes to deepen the hole Melbourne Storn and their attitiude is digging themselves.

And as for people not co-operating with the auditors, well, I hope they enjoy the attention they could very well now get from ASIC for corrupt company practices and fraud, directors condoning corrupt processes in signing off on false annual reports- they will have ot then argue whether they knew or not, and probably the ATO having a say or two as well in possible false reporting of income and fringe benefits taxation.

I dunno, I want Melbourne to survive but I'm not sure anymore I want Melbourne Storm to survive. There has been no contrition or acceptance of wrong doing just deflecting blame and playing victim. I dont think that attitude should be allowed to pass without further punishment- the competition survives on a collegiate basis not dog eat dog.

Last edited:

bileduct

Coach
The bit that worries me is that it said Deloittes asked player agents what the players are worth and then they compared that figure to what was on the books. To me that methology is flawed and will only create a bigger gap.
Maybe the methodology would have been better if the players had actually cooperated with the investigators, yes?

But they didn't, so no, f**k the lot of them.

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
If more than half of the 40 people didn't respond it doesn't really give the audit much credibility.

You'd think they wanted their name cleared, this just makes them look a hell of a lot worse, if that's at all possible.

People are going to want to tar them all with the same brush now and justifiably so.

Ike E Bear

Juniors
If more than half of the 40 people didn't respond it doesn't really give the audit much credibility.

You'd think they wanted their name cleared, this just makes them look a hell of a lot worse, if that's at all possible.

People are going to want to tar them all with the same brush now and justifiably so.

Agreed.

I think being uncooperative kind of results in them forfeiting their presumption of innocence.

They just look like guilty people with plenty to hide.

You can't fault the auditors for that.

StormChaser

First Grade
They were, until many of them started acting like peanuts all over the web. The particular individual you were addressing is deserving of nothing but ridicule.

All of us were shocked, and f**king hurt badly at the beginning and it wasn't until a bunch of lead headed spastics in here (mainly St Merge and Pawwa fans) started to put the boot in that some of us decided to give you all a big fat "f**k you too"!! I won't apologise or bow my head for something I am as much a victim of as anyone else! Unfortunately for me I'm loyal to my core and will never walk away from my team and not scratch and beg forgiveness from any gronk in here!
Here we are, this is what's happened, we're trying to hold on to our team and move on. If you all don't like it, you can bite my arse and choke on it!

I still don't get why people care so much about this. If you honestly think the Storm are the only team who are cheating the cap, you are either incredibly naive or incredibly stupid.

Give this man a medal! If I believed in Jebus I'd pray that a proper and thorough audit was done on EVERY single club in the NRL, because there is a f**king lot of rock throwing from a lot of shiny, glass houses in here.

perverse

Referee
If you all don't like it, you can bite my arse and choke on it!
be careful what you wish for!

coolface.png

I would assume that if people wouldn't talk to them Deloittes would have needed to rely on whatever documentary evidence they could lay their hands on, and make their own interpretation of it.

I'd have thought, if the NRL weren't such amateurs, that they'd have made full co-operation with any investigations and full admissions of any wrongdoing a condition of the Storm's and individual players continued participation in the competition this year and in future.

As for News getting the independent directors to pull their heads in, simple, tell them if they don't, News will cease funding the club.

Interesting conundrum for the NRL now, given the penalties imposed were for a $1.7m breach, now it appears the breaches were nearly double that, should they increase the penalties? Personally I think they should be penalised into future seasons - eg forced to operate on 80-90% of the cap for 5 years or something.

No way the storm will keep the big 4 IMO, they are dreaming and being silly. They won't be competitive if they drop all 10 players they are suggesting. We can't kick them out of the comp, it wasn't the club that made the mess it was a bunch of clowns who were running the club at the time.

Exactly...could not have summed it up better.

This whole thing is an absolute f**king disgrace. I have have no idea how anyone could possibly support this club anymore

So if the Raiders got done then you would walk away ??...easy to say and I felt like that when it first happened but I am not going to abandon my club because I want a team to support and this has been my team from day one.

Next year I could not care less if we get beaten in every game...it will be a clean team and a new start for the club.

Ulysseus

Bench
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/moodie-queries-integrity-of-probe-20100713-109fc.html

I wonder why no one would talk with the people from Deloitte:roll:

What a load of crap that the people who refused to speak with them were scared information would be leaked. They were scared of getting caught out for lying, cheating and whatever else they were up to.

If they have got nothing to hide they should not be scared.

Agree.
Silence can be dignified, but it can also be damming.

Latest posts