What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 RM Cup and Sydney Shield

rightleftin

Juniors
Following the naming of the North Sydney side for round 1 of the NSW Cup, we now have a fair idea who will be in the Hills team for Round 1 against Glebe on 17 March. The Hills players - Brad Keighran, Taniela Lasalo, Maile Li and a couple of benchmen will probably be joined by 12 of the following 18 contracted Norths players - Michael Fenn, Logan Aldridge, Phil Makatoa, Sean Garner, Bobby Miller, Havi Tupouniua, Sunia Naruma, Christian Maaniama, Mason McCarthy, Che Te Rangi, Daniel Ala, Sean Sabutey, J P White, Moung Dut, Sean Vaivaletu, Simon Tito, Trey Peni and Josh Bevan. Some of these may appear in Sydney Shield.

I have excluded Regan Hughes, who I assume is injured after training full time with Melbourne over summer.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Following the naming of the North Sydney side for round 1 of the NSW Cup, we now have a fair idea who will be in the Hills team for Round 1 against Glebe on 17 March. The Hills players - Brad Keighran, Taniela Lasalo, Maile Li and a couple of benchmen will probably be joined by 12 of the following 18 contracted Norths players - Michael Fenn, Logan Aldridge, Phil Makatoa, Sean Garner, Bobby Miller, Havi Tupouniua, Sunia Naruma, Christian Maaniama, Mason McCarthy, Che Te Rangi, Daniel Ala, Sean Sabutey, J P White, Moung Dut, Sean Vaivaletu, Simon Tito, Trey Peni and Josh Bevan. Some of these may appear in Sydney Shield.

I have excluded Regan Hughes, who I assume is injured after training full time with Melbourne over summer.
Is Josh Bevan fit, last pic I saw had him in a cast. I hope he is all good.
I also imagine they will fit Riley Travers in there somewhere in RM

Butts74

Juniors

Jesus that’s pretty much a whole squad that will come in. I’d say more than likely half will play Massey and other half shield cause of points. Jeeez you feel sorry for the guys slugging it out in the summer to be told to play park footy cause of the domino effect.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Jesus that’s pretty much a whole squad that will come in. I’d say more than likely half will play Massey and other half shield cause of points. Jeeez you feel sorry for the guys slugging it out in the summer to be told to play park footy cause of the domino effect.
I think there will be a few players not playing either because of points and I think that could well be the case across a few clubs

rightleftin

Juniors
If any club has problems with points limits it will be those without any juniors because every junior goes into the cap at zero.

rightleftin

Juniors
The following players are part of the BWSE NSW Cup squad, who were not selected for round 1, and thus subject to injury, may be available for Mounties for their round 1 clash with St Marys:

Brad Abbey, Watson Heleta, Andrew Cartisano, Anton Iaria, Bruce Ward, Epa Navale, Haimona Hroti, Harrison Gerraghty, Jaho Afoa, Jonah Ngaronoa, Joe Tramontana, Denzil Tonise, Noel Aukafolau, Saokimi Fakaua and Trent Borthwick.

The Blacktown squad looks much stronger than last year and I expect Mounties to be the big improver in RMC this year.

rightleftin

Juniors
Glebe has signed Craig Garvey and Jade Anderson. As posted earlier they have lost Dev Makoare Boyce, Jonah Ngaronoa, Michael Pearsall, Bilal Maarbani, Peter Nay, Dylan O'Connor, Riley Travers, Mason McCarthy, Sean Sabutey and a few Roosters that played for them have also signed with other clubs.

rightleftin

Juniors
Massey clubs had a meeting about the PPS and all agreed it should be raised

We can only hope that the NSWRL recognises the blunder it made 21 years ago, and abolishes the points completely and allow clubs to sign anyone that is willing to play. But I cant see it happening, as NSWRL believes the implementation of points systems in every competition in the State will halt the long term decline in participation.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The good news: for the first time in several years it's Teamlist Tuesday in RMC and SS

The bad news: it's probably going to be patchy asf for the first few rounds

rightleftin

Juniors
Canterbury (RMC) and Manly (SS) are the only clubs with team lists at this stage. The Bulldogs lineup suggests they are taking it far more seriously this year.

Broncos93

Juniors
Apparently NSWRL has decided to tack on 5 points to any player that has been signed from another Massey or Shield club. Ridiculous decision which as far as I'm told was only told to clubs within the last week, after all recruitment has been done.

It will severely limit the ability of some clubs to compete, provide a massive leg up to St Mary's who cast a massive net for those considered "local juniors" and cause issues for NSW Cup teams trying to get their players a start in RM Cup or Syd Shield.

It means clubs like Glebe, given they have no juniors, will struggle to get players inside the PPIS cap.

The decision initially included Jersey Flegg players too, but that's been scrapped after protest by some clubs.

rightleftin

Juniors
Apparently NSWRL has decided to tack on 5 points to any player that has been signed from another Massey or Shield club. Ridiculous decision which as far as I'm told was only told to clubs within the last week, after all recruitment has been done.

It will severely limit the ability of some clubs to compete, provide a massive leg up to St Mary's who cast a massive net for those considered "local juniors" and cause issues for NSW Cup teams trying to get their players a start in RM Cup or Syd Shield.

It means clubs like Glebe, given they have no juniors, will struggle to get players inside the PPIS cap.

The decision initially included Jersey Flegg players too, but that's been scrapped after protest by some clubs.
Complete farce. This is the NSWRL strategy for Junior League - ensure that noboby changes clubs and teams will stop dying out. In JRL they add on 25 points for a player switching clubs. If you apply the same strategy to a Senior competition then it ceases to exist or you settle for 4 team comp.

The PPIS already built in incentive for player stability by giving a discount for each year a player played for the club so this new ruling is a double whammy.

There must be a huge doubt about whether any games will be played this weekend with several clubs unable to name teams. Maybe the clubs will spend more time in Court this year than on the field.

Last edited:

Broncos93

Juniors
I'm now told the PPIS cap has been increased for this season. Hopefully that helps clubs fields teams but it's a bit of a joke this is being played out 72 hours before kick off.

rightleftin

Juniors
I'm now told the PPIS cap has been increased for this season. Hopefully that helps clubs fields teams but it's a bit of a joke this is being played out 72 hours before kick off.
Clubs must have known about at least last week or earlier, because Sharkie posted last Sunday that clubs had a meeting and all wanted the points cap increased but he didnt indicate that they were reacting to the issue know identified, so I assumed they had enough of the endless race to the bottom that comes with these points cap that get harder every year.

Broncos93

Juniors
Clubs must have known about at least last week or earlier, because Sharkie posted last Sunday that clubs had a meeting and all wanted the points cap increased but he didnt indicate that they were reacting to the issue know identified, so I assumed they had enough of the endless race to the bottom that comes with these points cap that get harder every year.
As I understand it, clubs met with NSWRL last week to voice their opposition to the changes and that's when they would have called for a points increase. The NSWRL then decided to scrap Flegg players from the changes earlier this week, but were going to push ahead with the points penalty for RMC/Shield transfers.

I believe the decision to actually increase the points cap has only been made in the past 48 hours.

The biggest thing for me is just the absurdity of it all. If the PPIS cap is to stop clubs stacking talent with big pay cheques - they should put a cap on spend, not cap the quality of players that they can field.