What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

shewi6

Juniors
Now there’s another post above saying the deal is finalised
The one I responded to yeh? The one that claimed a deal was done weeks ago with no sources and in the meantime high level meetings had to be convened at magic round to save the deal?

Anyway we will find out one way or another in september probably.
I'm not worried so much about the precise timeline about if and when a deal is done but I am more concerned about how it is a bad deal for the game, the taxpayers and not even sure that the team will survive with all that money thrown at it.

MugaB

Coach
When ever the date it would be announced, guaranteed that team 19 and beyond won't be announced this year.
It's the bears, location probably Perth... I was hoping Melbourne no.2, but its looking like WA govt is loving the idea... to bad nobody else in Perth is liking bears idea tho

MugaB

Coach
The one I responded to yeh? The one that claimed a deal was done weeks ago with no sources and in the meantime high level meetings had to be convened at magic round to save the deal?

I'm not worried so much about the precise timeline about if and when a deal is done but I am more concerned about how it is a bad deal for the game, the taxpayers and not even sure that the team will survive with all that money thrown at it.
Taxpayers... ffs you guy all gotta let that go, it's as if you're all complaining about your winning lottery ticket getting taxed... super rugby have 2 YES TWO govt funded Super Rugby teams in their competition, funded by OUR government, its been running for the past 3 years.... NRL want a piece of that action, govt wants to attach itself thru sport to these Pacific nations, it's a win/win... that tax money you give away is long gone, it's government tax, they decide, you pay it regardless, whether it goes to multi billion dollar submarines, schools, hospitals, emergency workers or foreign aid to Indonesia, Ukraine, or PNG.
Voting albo out won't stop the government spending tax money on these types of diplomacy, We should be happy that NRL got a lump sum out of it, in hopes that we aren't missing out, as you all well know AFL comes around with thier hands out constantly, they are already scheming on infrastructure in Darwin, and Alice Springs for their "20th team" after the failed Brisbane Gabba "Olympics" saga, and the Tasmanian stadiums bullshit
And Rugby union got that Tonga deal done just a few weeks ago along with 2 super rugby sides,
We were lucky to get a lick of paint on liechardt oval, and a somewhat refurb on Penrith stadium

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
When ever the date it would be announced, guaranteed that team 19 and beyond won't be announced this year.
If they are delaying announcing png till September then Perth might not be announced this year but I suspect it will

despite all the moaning Perth is pretty much locked in after png

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Taxpayers... ffs you guy all gotta let that go, it's as if you're all complaining about your winning lottery ticket getting taxed... super rugby have 2 YES TWO govt funded Super Rugby teams in their competition, funded by OUR government, its been running for the past 3 years.... NRL want a piece of that action, govt wants to attach itself thru sport to these Pacific nations, it's a win/win... that tax money you give away is long gone, it's government tax, thet decide, you pay it regardless, whether it goes to multi billion dollar submarines, schools, hospitals, emergency workers or foreign aid to Indonesia, Ukraine, or PNG
Voting albo out won't stop the government spending tax money on these types of diplomacy, We should be happy that NRL got a lump sum out of it, in hopes that we aren't missing out, as you know AFL comes around with thier hands out constantly, tget are already scheming on infrastructure in Darwin, after the failed Brisbane Gabba "Olympics" saga, and the Tasmanian stadiums bullshit
Thanks for the update on rugger and flogball. LU is the best source of news about these sports people say they don't support.

Dragonwest

Juniors
If they are delaying announcing png till September then Perth might not be announced this year but I suspect it will

despite all the moaning Perth is pretty much locked in after png
For the next TV deal there is massive incentive for the NRL to lock in an 18th team.

The short term benefit for team 19 doesn't really exist. Comments about the 19th team being quick to follow was lipstick service by V'landy to disgruntled bid areas just in case the federal government did not play ball and the PNG bid fell over.

I'd be very surprised if Team 19 was included within 5 years of team 18. The next team would be just as likely be included as a replacement to a failing PNG team down the line verse coming in as the 19th team.

Centy Coast

Juniors

Mate this is a leak and it will apparently be officially announced in September, believe/don’t believe that is up to you.
PNG Independance Day is the day.
I myself think it is a ridiculous decision, it is nothing but a political ploy.
I am just waiting until Team 19 gets approved.

MugaB

Coach
Ours? Your a png politician?
No I am a true expansion fan, expansion of the NRL,
Not the Perth brigade, or the Brisbane wants a future 7th side to go with the other BRL clubs that barely exist, no I want real expansion, but without the fueds between bids, just line em up and enter thru the pearly gates, the bigger the comp, the less we whinge that Sydney has too many, and we dwarf other codes all while doing it, and make tons of money collecting expansion fees along the way... its like supporting a club... but a code

Wb1234

Referee
For the next TV deal there is massive incentive for the NRL to lock in an 18th team.

The short term benefit for team 19 doesn't really exist. Comments about the 19th team being quick to follow was lipstick service by V'landy to disgruntled bid areas just in case the federal government did not play ball and the PNG bid fell over.

I'd be very surprised if Team 19 was included within 5 years of team 18. The next team would be just as likely be included as a replacement to a failing PNG team down the line verse coming in as the 19th team.
Like the dolphins it means an extra 11 ? Games (19 teams)

you may be right but I’m pretty sure the next tv deal will be sold with 19 or 20 teams

the way he’s talked about Perth it’s a done deal also

Perth will come in midway through the next tv deal so around 2030 or after

just be patient Perth will be team 19

the earlier they announce Perth the more time they have to prepare