What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Idris 84

Juniors
Agree one of the best books I've read to be honest. Amazing how small moments in time changed everything. For example W.A started as a rugby state and Queensland as an Australian rules state, but a few very minor things like rugby not sending a team to a match or something like that changed everything permanently. I also doubt very much that the 'universal' game would have been overtaken as it had the backing of nsw and vic football organisations which no other sport could compete with.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Yeah, most sports have at least two forms of scoring otherwise you end up like soccer with a million draws. From memory the proposal was 3 points for a try, 2 points for a goal over the H and 1 point for a kick under the H. The scorer of the try had to kick the goal themselves. No scrums, the ball would be thrown up or thrown in to re- start. That's all I can remember but there is a 2 pager of the notes from the proposal in the book which was 90 percent approved and would have seen the end of league and Australian rules in Australia for a hybrid sport combining the two, if the war didn't start right at that exact time.
I highly doubt that.

IMO it's inevitable that there would have been people uninterest in the new Universal Rules that would have created new Aussie Rules and Rugby League bodies and competitions.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Agree one of the best books I've read to be honest. Amazing how small moments in time changed everything. For example W.A started as a rugby state and Queensland as an Australian rules state, but a few very minor things like rugby not sending a team to a match or something like that changed what's ever since been set in stone for 100 or so years thereafter.
Yeah it's pretty mind blowing, a lot of history is sliding door moments like that though.

TheRam

Coach
I just posted this elsewhere but thought that it is probably more appropriate here.

How to expand our game into nontraditional areas with much less risk to the game.

Firstly the problem when you have owners that are rich, but not uber rich like the Penn family, they are very mindful of every dollar spent and sensitive to losses especially when they are counted in the millions of dollars. If clubs are to be owned privately, then I feel that it should be by entities that are worth in the vicinity of $500-600m+, but preferably billionaires. That way they would be less likely to be spinning out on the losses and easily able to afford them.

That idiot that owned the Knights for a while doesn't count. He was basically a billionaire on paper and a lot of smoke and mirrors stuff and we all know what happened there.

In fact I would love to see the ARLC take the initiative and scour Australia and the world to find a billionaire or two that would fancy owning an NRL franchise. I would then offer them a one city, one club franchise licence either Adelaide or even Tasmania or Darwin. I wouldn't offer Perth or Christchurch because I feel that those locations don't need much encouragement to sell them at all. But by offering a licence to a billionaire that otherwise would not see a team there for probably decades, we maybe able to fast track our expansion march way sooner then otherwise possible with very little risk to the game and its resources.

So my point is that by offering these less desirable locations to a mega rich person and making it clear that he is not only wanted for his good looks and charming personality, but primarily for his abundant wealth, then the owner knows exactly why he has the licence and there are no delusions as to what the ARLC wants from him and why. The advantage of having a billionaire that is ok with spending his cash this way is whatever the new franchise needs the new franchise gets. Something that most of our current clubs can't do easily. Of course from the ARLC's perspective, I would give these new franchises allowances and advantages that other more established regions would/will not receive. One example would be, for the first 25 years of the licence, they can bring in any player from anywhere in the world that hasn't played in the NRL for 3 years or more, league or Union or any other sport, and the max it will count on their salary cap is $300K if they are current internationals in their current sport, minimum wage if they are not. Imagine some of the Rugby players that we could get for example Semi Radradra could come back to Oz. Maybe even reverse the compliment and poach a AFL star player or two. That would generate a massive amount of publicity for the new franchise and our game like it did for them.

But crucially part of the written conditions of the licence would be that they must spend minimum $5m per annum on junior development that isn't associated directly to their own lower grades, and a further $2m on lower tier clubs that are associated directly to the NRL club. So in other words if it were an Adelaide licence the kiddies clubs and competitions would be getting $5m right across all the junior clubs from 5 year olds right up to u15's. Then a further $2m for the ones above that i.e. HM, S.G Ball and upwards. By doing this the long term benefits are obvious.

Also by having someone like this involved they would also have some clout on politicians in those States/cities and if for example the ARLC were to do this soon enough for an Adelaide franchise then maybe the billionaire owner could persuade the S.A. pollies to reverse their decision to not build the Adelaide city indoor stadium for rectangular football use and build it so it is footy compliant. Something that our ARLC Chairman should be screaming about but has said absolutely nothing and it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't even know about it at all.

Anyway, sure all pie in the sky stuff, but this is how you can really add some new blood and excitement to the comp with much less risk and a hell of a lot of upside if you can pull it off. Sure it would be very hard to find the billionaire Unicorn/s that I am referring to here, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. But if done correctly and well negotiated, I wouldn't be all that surprised if there were at least one or two billionaires out of the 2755 odd that exist worldwide today that wouldn't mind to take a shot at owning a top tier football franchise in a country like Australia, that normally would be way more expensive then a few million dollars a year to do. Spending $10-20m of their own money a year would seem like chicken feed to a lot of these guys and the exposure and awareness of his business and other interests would go through the roof down here in Australia. Much more then probably otherwise and may even be a relatively cheap way of advertising his name or other business interests. Who knows?

Also remember that they would still receive the $13m a year grant money that all the clubs receive, but the TV deals would obviously reflect the new teams and increased games in new time zones too. Win, win for all concerned. For all the glass half full Nellie's out there, yes the the TV money will be increased no matter what anyone says. You just have to look at the AFL with the money that they are given every time they add a team anywhere. To suggest otherwise is to believe lying TV execs who always want to keep prices down and weak ARLC execs. The AFL just does whatever it wants and the TV contracts just follow. There will always be a network willing to fork out big to own the rights to all or part of the rights of one of the two biggest footy code in the country. Of that you can be sure of or at least as long as footy rates on TV.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Haha I’d love to see your sales pitch.

excuse me mr billionaire would you like to own an nrl club?
what’s nrl?
it rugby league in australia
whats rugby league?
It’s a great sport
why haven’t I heard of it? I’ve been to twickers in my mates range rover was that nrl?
err no, it’s game played in a couple of states in australia, some bits of the north of England and a few towns in south of france
oh ok, so what’s the return?
well theres likely no return, most clubs lose money.
ummmmm
also as well as covering the couple of mill losses a year we’d like you to spend another $5mill a year doing our job in developing jnrs please
what?
how does it sound to you?
click.
hello, hello? We appear to have been cut off.

Colk

First Grade
Haha I’d love to see your sales pitch.

excuse me mr billionaire would you like to own an nrl club?
what’s nrl?
it rugby league in australia
whats rugby league?
It’s a great sport
why haven’t I heard of it? I’ve been to twickers in my mates range rover was that nrl?
err no, it’s game played in a couple of states in australia, some bits of the north of England and a few towns in south of france
oh ok, so what’s the return?
well theres likely no return, most clubs lose money.
ummmmm
also as well as covering the couple of mill losses a year we’d like you to spend another $5mill a year doing our job in developing jnrs please
what?
how does it sound to you?
click.
hello, hello? We appear to have been cut off.

Well apparently they turned a English billionaire down recently.

mongoose

Coach
Souths have a Billionaire owner - Mike Cannon Brookes, but I'm guessing he was already a rusted on fan of the club.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Souths have a Billionaire owner - Mike Cannon Brookes, but I'm guessing he was already a rusted on fan of the club.
Generally there’s three types of rich owners:
fans who make money
investors who expect a return
mega rich who want the kudos (global sports club brand ownership)

there’s not many who buy a club just for something to do

flippikat

Bench
Then we should relocate Penrith Panthers to Perth and Sydney Roosters to Adelaide to stir up Freddy. 🤣
Well it'd certainly make for a more national footprint right away, with 17 teams (counting the soon to arrive Dolphins).

Then all we'd need to do is add NZ 2 as team 18, and we're set - until South-east Queensland is in a position for a 4th team (Ipswich-Logan?) as team 19, then who knows for 20.

Well it'd certainly make for a more national footprint right away, with 17 teams (counting the soon to arrive Dolphins).

Then all we'd need to do is add NZ 2 as team 18, and we're set - until South-east Queensland is in a position for a 4th team (Ipswich-Logan?) as team 19, then who knows for 20.
NZ 3 might turn out to be a better option than SEQ4. If it helps grow the game in NZ then I'm for it. England's going backwards, so it's vital we turn New Zealand into a powerhouse so that Kangaroos vs Kiwis turns into a juggernaut like Origin.
Meanwhile back in the land of reality………
Reality is depressing.

cumbrian Mackem

Juniors
NZ 3 might turn out to be a better option than SEQ4. If it helps grow the game in NZ then I'm for it. England's going backwards, so it's vital we turn New Zealand into a powerhouse so that Kangaroos vs Kiwis turns into a juggernaut like Origin.

Reality is depressing.
Looking at the current kiwi player pool a Aussie-kiwi trans-Tasman test series already has the potential to be a juggernaut and imo bigger than origin.

Looking at the current kiwi player pool a Aussie-kiwi trans-Tasman test series already has the potential to be a juggernaut and imo bigger than origin.
We need New Zealand to have a sustained period of dominance over Australia to build prestige. A dedicated period during the mid-season for a three match series will help build interest. While Queensland's playing NSW the Kiwis could play a three match series against England. After this period we can have Australia play New Zealand. Altogether it would be a six week period that the NRL is on hiatus, so it would be good to have PNG, Fiji, Samoa and Tonga play each other, home and away, to generate more content for the broadcasters and help build the profile of Test football. Onionball would be the sport to lose the most out of this. We can add a three match women's origin series followed by Jillaroos vs NZW in a three match Test series for more content.

At the end of the season Australia and New Zealand can travel over to England to play against England and France.