What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Test: Australia v West Indies @ Adelaide Oval Jan 17-19, 2024

Fangs

Coach
Also gives us options moving forward on a turning deck with Marsh and Green able to bowl, although I think Green is a better bowler yet March did the job against the Pakis. This allows us to drop a quick and play 2 spinners and still have 4 quicks.

Marsh bowls at mid 120s yet Green can hit 140 regularly. So many options with this squad.

Gives us a raft of options over in NZ. Both all rounders should do well with the ball over there.

Still have Head's off-spin in the team as well.

JJ

Immortal
Would be really interesting to know more about Steve Smith's thinking here - he's so good, he'll be fine, but I wonder of he's just searching for something to rediscover his super-human form? Is he just a bit bored, or over thinking things? His form has dipped, but hardly to a level where it's a selection issue etc, he's still a world-class bat

King-Gutho94

Coach
Would be really interesting to know more about Steve Smith's thinking here - he's so good, he'll be fine, but I wonder of he's just searching for something to rediscover his super-human form? Is he just a bit bored, or over thinking things? His form has dipped, but hardly to a level where it's a selection issue etc, he's still a world-class bat
A bit of everything i reckon.

He has parraylsed himself into fear of getting out and getting bogged down at 4. In fact he hasnt been the same since Marnus pushed him down to 4 from number 3.

He did say on the radio the other day the older he gets the more nervous he is getting waiting in the changerooms to Bat.

And he probably wants a new challenge like he probably has nothing left to prove externally why not give the opener role a crack and take one for the team. No one else is putting there hand up.

And lets be honest i think the thought of Marcus Harris opening the batting for Australia even has the aussie players worried.

Bazal

Post Whore
Look I don't specifically like it but I will say, there might be something to be said for an overthinking autistic genius like Smith getting out there from ball one and that it might relax him a bit.

He was super good at 3, better than he has been at 4 IMO especially recently. Not a huge leap from 3 to opening.

Fangs

Coach
The overthinking now starts when the opposition is 8 or 9 wickets down (Or maybe Smith does that already?).

Captain again in the ODI series. You might see a different player with that added responsibility.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Look I don't specifically like it but I will say, there might be something to be said for an overthinking autistic genius like Smith getting out there from ball one and that it might relax him a bit.

He was super good at 3, better than he has been at 4 IMO especially recently. Not a huge leap from 3 to opening.

agree

its gives him less time in the sheds to over analyze everything, could work out OK for him

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Smiffy opening is f**king exciting. I'll back the best since Bradman (and current number 3 world rated test batsman despite being in a slump @Pippen94 ) to do very f**king well

Latest posts