What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2005 album of the year

Panthers_God

Juniors
I sort of just checked out the list on triple J and i just gotta say a few things.

Bernard Fanning is way too high. I must admit I havent really listened to his album much but from what I have heard of it its mostly repetitive folk songs. I am a fan of Powderfinger so I dont want to diss the man in anyway but 4 is a bit too high for me.

Arcade Fire need to be a couple of spots higher. In my opionion one of the best albums made this year.

"Surfjan Stevens" aka Sufjan should be in the top ten. Every Sufjan album is just as good as the last and this is no exception.

Xavier Rudd is in a way similar to Fanning as many of his songs are just repetitive. He is very very VERY talented but I definently aint a big fan of his music.

Kaiser Chiefs are too high but only by a few spots. Same to for the Chemical Brothers

And even though I think its one of the worst Ben Folds albums i've heard it still deserves to be higher up on the list. The guys an absolute genius.

Also happy to see hot hot heat, the herd and kanye west on the list

Eelementary

Post Whore
I guess the issue is because Bernard and Xavier are Antipodeans, then that automatically means their albums are pushed higher in the list.

Although to be honest, I like Bernard's solo stuff way more than Powderfinger from the last 3 years or so. Songs like "My Happiness"...What were they thinking? lol

Mong

Post Whore
Up until a month ago i would have said WolfMother... After having a lot of really good listens to System of a Down's Mesmerise i would now have to say it's that one... One of those rare ones that i actually love every song on the album...

skeepe

Immortal
Eelementary said:
how about ANY of the Australian acts? They suck badly.

Australian hip hop is some of the best and freshest around. Downsyde, The Herd, Koolism, Muph & Plutonic, TZU to name but just a very small selection.

As for the Triple J list... Wolfmother at #1? Come on, all their stuff sounds the same and very very generic. Good to see Gyroscope, After the Fall and End of Fashion scoring places, disappointed that Bodyjar's "Bodyjar" didn't make the list - easily in the top 5 of this year, way better than that Kisschasy generic rubbish.

simostorm

Bench
1.Green Day-American Idiot, although I think it came out last year, I dunno.
2.Oasis-Dont beleive the truth
3.Ben Lee- awake is the new sleep
4.My Chemical Romance-great f**kin album
5.Billy Corgan-future embrace

Thats my personal taste anyhow, if you dont like it go f**k yourself maggette whores.

Dread

Juniors
Well, 2005 was a fairly mediocre year for music.

Cat Empire's Two Shoes wins this one easily.

Others that were up there include Wolfmother, The Darkness' One Way Ticket to Hell... and Back, System of a Down's Mesmerize (should've condensed the two CD's into one though) and Weezer's Make Believe.

Eelementary

Post Whore
skeepe said:
Australian hip hop is some of the best and freshest around. Downsyde, The Herd, Koolism, Muph & Plutonic, TZU to name but just a very small selection.

As for the Triple J list... Wolfmother at #1? Come on, all their stuff sounds the same and very very generic. Good to see Gyroscope, After the Fall and End of Fashion scoring places, disappointed that Bodyjar's "Bodyjar" didn't make the list - easily in the top 5 of this year, way better than that Kisschasy generic rubbish.

See I disagree...

The terms 'Australian' and 'hip-hop' should never, ever be uttered in the same phrase...Unless the phrase is "Australians can't do hip-hop". Their pathetically Aussie accents just blow it.

skeepe

Immortal
Eelementary said:
See I disagree...

The terms 'Australian' and 'hip-hop' should never, ever be uttered in the same phrase...Unless the phrase is "Australians can't do hip-hop". Their pathetically Aussie accents just blow it.

This from a guy who thinks 50 Cent is the epitome of good hip-hop. Please.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Eelementary said:
See I disagree...

So you're an Australian who thinks the Australian accent is pathetic?

Godz Illa

Coach
skeepe said:
And he also likes P.O.D. lol He clearly parks on the lame side of the music street.

To hell with haters of homegrown hip-hop.

Eelementary

Post Whore
skeepe said:

When did I say 50 Cent is the epitome of hip-hop?

Anyway, the facts and figures speak for themselves. Support for 50 Cent - massive. Support for Australian hip-hop - minimal.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Godz Illa said:
And he also likes P.O.D. lol He clearly parks on the lame side of the music street.

To hell with haters of homegrown hip-hop.

So my taste in music is lame because it differs from yours? Interesting theory.

And for the record, it was my opinion that was attacked first - not the other way around.

Because unlike you, I have a brain large enough to process the fact different people like different music.

But I wouldn't expect a person who names himself after an over-grown lizard to even be able to read that.

the difference between fitty and aussie hip hop is exposure, how many of the aussie rappers would be known outside of their own street? fitty is known worldwide from exposure of MTV, BET etc.. so obviously his support will be much much superior, but it doesnt mean he is better, the oz rap game is much better than u give credit for but hey thats urs opinion i guess so u entitled to like what u like,but like jadakiss said "why is a brother up north better than jordan that aint get that break"

simostorm

Bench
Dread said:
Well, 2005 was a fairly mediocre year for music.

Cat Empire's Two Shoes wins this one easily.

Others that were up there include Wolfmother, The Darkness' One Way Ticket to Hell... and Back, System of a Down's Mesmerize (should've condensed the two CD's into one though) and Weezer's Make Believe.

Yeah, two shoes was good album, I saw them live 3 times this year
1st at St Kilda festival which goes off, 2nd at the forum in Melbourne
and 3rd at the Spiegeltent a couple of weeks ago.

Eelementary

Post Whore
KrypnotiK said:
the difference between fitty and aussie hip hop is exposure, how many of the aussie rappers would be known outside of their own street? fitty is known worldwide from exposure of MTV, BET etc.. so obviously his support will be much much superior, but it doesnt mean he is better, the oz rap game is much better than u give credit for but hey thats urs opinion i guess so u entitled to like what u like,but like jadakiss said "why is a brother up north better than jordan that aint get that break"

I was never into hip-hop anyway, but my mates were 'wiggers' and conivinced me to go to a couple of gigs.

When we went to X-Zibit's concert in March, we saw about 5 or so Aussie hip-hop stars and they didn't impress me personally. But then again, the atmosphere was poor - everyone was there to see X-Zibit and not the Aussies, so nobody got into it.

I just love idiots' attitudes - "Oh, he likes so-and-so, so his taste is automatically crap." I know so many people who love Slipknot, but because of stupid comments like that they were ridiculed and now try to pretend like they don't like Slipknot.

And that's what happened here - someone mentioned they don't like music these days, and I listed a few alternatives. But because I mentioned guys like 50 Cent (God forbid I ever mention the world's biggest current hip-hop star) and P.O.D., I got criticised.

The first post was OK - that 50 Cent is one of the worst hip-hop acts going around today. I wouldn't know - I'm not that into hip-hop, really. But I do know that lost of people like him, and whenever his music comes on, people just love it. Also, I'm sure his concert will be a lot of fun.

I just don't see why some people can't understand that music is subjective - I like P.O.D., Japunga, Soulfly, Fear Factory, Drowning Pool, 12 Stones, Stone Sour, Trivium, Opeth, Stutterfly and more. As well as Michael Jackson, Seal, Goo Goo Dolls, the Beatles, Matchbox 20, and countless others. I have a wide taste.

And Cat Empire are brilliant live.

c_eagle

Juniors
You actually had P.O.D. under "great albums" in your sig up until about 5 minutes ago. Your taste may be 'wide' but it's very consistent.