What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2008 Crowd Watch - Final Totals in Post #3778

Status
Not open for further replies.

lockyno1

Post Whore
how does any of that disprove what i said, in that some melbourne clubs are struggling financially.

and noone can guarantee they will all survive.

the AFLs position in melbourne is very similar to RL position in sydney yet our idiot CEO says our clubs are struggling when AFL wont admit that quite a few AFL clubs are struggling too.

Only 1-2 clubs may report losses in AFL this season in Melbourne- Demons might but I'd say they would be around even at the end of the year. The Western Bulldogs and Hawthorn will report a profit.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
Fair enough. However aren't the u20's being shown on FOX for FREE!

I believe this season was a "trial season" to see how they rate on fox and they get better ratings than S14.

Next year should be the year of a TV Deal for the toyota cup

Last edited:

Ice777

Bench
Actually most clubs in the AFL run at a profit (Sydney and Bribane don't)

The Swans have made a $1.5 million profit the last 2 years and a $1.3m profit the year before that. The Lions posted a $1.1m profit last year but lost nearly a million in 2006.

BrisVegas

Juniors
Much of it, especially the cyclical nature of profits is exactly the same for the NRL (will more than a couple make losses this year tho?). The difference between the two is that the AFL has the money to save clubs if that is what they choose to do. They can just as easily kill them if they choose that too, but they have the choice. The NRL does not appear to have that luxury.

The cyclical nature of profits is not the same for NRL clubs (except for teams that rely on crowds through the gates as a major source of income such as Brisbane, Gold Coast, N-QLD and Newcastle). Many Sydney clubs have a deal structured with ANZ Stadium so that they receive $1.2m-$1.5m a year regardless of the crowds drawn. Licensed clubs would then provide a $2m-$6m top up. It is the top up that is under threat. A club like Brisbane that generates $10m-$13m a year in crowd revenue is far more suseptable to the cyclical nature of fans.

Digga Hole

Juniors
The cyclical nature of profits is not the same for NRL clubs (except for teams that rely on crowds through the gates as a major source of income such as Brisbane, Gold Coast, N-QLD and Newcastle). Many Sydney clubs have a deal structured with ANZ Stadium so that they receive $1.2m-$1.5m a year regardless of the crowds drawn. Licensed clubs would then provide a $2m-$6m top up. It is the top up that is under threat. A club like Brisbane that generates $10m-$13m a year in crowd revenue is far more suseptable to the cyclical nature of fans.

I take your point on the current situation with a few clubs and ANZ, but anyone that thinks that the deal with ANZ is going to continue long term regardless of crowds is kidding themselves.

lockyno1

Post Whore
The Swans have made a $1.5 million profit the last 2 years and a $1.3m profit the year before that. The Lions posted a $1.1m profit last year but lost nearly a million in 2006.

Didn't know that. Well that even makes the NRL's situation even worse. Clubs should be aiming to make 2 million a year minimum. At Essendon we are reporting a profit of between 2-2.5million this season. NRL needs to be making money and clubs should be making a couple of million in profit. But the main difference is memberships. Honestly, Essendon have 20 or 30,000 members. That is where as a club you make your money. NRL clubs need to have better memberships.

Chook Norris

First Grade
my predictions:

Round 24 - August 22-25
Cronulla vs Sydney Roosters @ Toyota Stadium -15k
Brisbane vs Gold Coast @ Suncorp Stadium - 40k ???

Wests Tigers vs Manly @ ANZ Stadium ... errr.... 23k
Bulldogs vs Parramatta @ ANZ Stadium ... 33k
Newcastle vs North Queensland @ EnergyAustralia 17k
Sunday
2:00pm - South Sydney vs Canberra @ ANZ Stadium 12k
3:00pm - St George/Illawarra vs NZ Warriors @ WIN Stadium 15k
Monday
7:00pm - Penrith vs Melbourne @ CUA Stadium ... ....... ........ 10k

i agree with what you said

but its not gallops job to care about how afl is going though

his job is to lead our game and give it some kind of success, which he has done in the last few years with the addition of the GC and U20s*. they were good but there is more to be done especially with crowds, memberships etc to get us on par with afl

*dont wanna sound like gallop, but lets face it that were/are a success

spot on, i agree with all of that.

ive never said i think we should get our crowds up by more, but they are headed in the right direction

Brutus

Referee
Despite Penrith still being in the hunt for the finals, I agree that a crowd of 5-8k is on the cards for Monday night which will be pathetic.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Despite Penrith still being in the hunt for the finals, I agree that a crowd of 5-8k is on the cards for Monday night which will be pathetic.

This may help:

Aug 19 - The Panthers have slashed ticket prices to one of the best games this season.

With the Panthers taking on the first placed Storm, ticket prices have been reduced by 40%, in some cases that saving is as much as 50% off. The game is of significant importance to to the team with a win ensuring that finals football is still a possibility. But they can't do it alone. Fans are encouraged to come along and be vocal to help the boys weather the Storm.

Tickets can be either pre-purchased from Panthers or by simply attending the game on Monday night.

General Admission
Adult: $10.00
Concession: $5.00
Family: $20.00
Extra Child: $5.00

Terrace
Adult: $12.00
Concession: $8.00
Family: $31.00

Grandstand
Adult: $16.00
Concession: $11.00
Family: $45.00

Ice777

Bench
AFL has been around for 50 years more than RL.

be patient

The only way that rugby league crowds are going to get anywhere AFL crowds is if the latter have a massive decrease in the numbers which i can't see happening any time soon.

The fact is on a whole Sydney grounds just don't have the capacity to hold crowds the size of AFL numbers. Of the two grounds that can, the fans have made it more than clear that they hate going to the main one and even the clubs are trying to get out of the joint. While the other (SFS) for whatever reason there's not many games held there each season.

I'm not too sure why you're telling people to be patient because as long as games continue to be played at suburban grounds (which i hope they do) then rugby league crowds will never get up near AFL crowds. Some might not like hearing that, but with the ground situation among other things it's just the way it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts