What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010+11 Jerseys, Logos & Sponsors

S.R.

Juniors
But they were originally blue until Cronulla pinched that colour scheme, Penrith got stuck with the brown.

No mate.

Cronulla were brown and yellow, until Penrith got in with the brown first.

Cronulla then changed to the much better option of black, white and blue (I believe to match the local surf club who already had that colour scheme).

the red rooster is one of the best ever logos

the chooks last two logos are two of the worst ever

Sydney_Roosters_2007.png

Fantastic emblem. That should be our emblem just without the 100 years and 1908-2007.

macavity

Referee
I still prefer the original (easts to win is the best of them), but again if it was up to me, we (Knights) would go back to our original too, so seems I don't know much.

I must be one of the only people around who thinks marketing gurus stuff up much much more than they improve.

A crest should mean something and should come with history - IMO once you pick one that should be it.

Dragon Dave

Bench
I still prefer the original (easts to win is the best of them), but again if it was up to me, we (Knights) would go back to our original too, so seems I don't know much.

I must be one of the only people around who thinks marketing gurus stuff up much much more than they improve.

A crest should mean something and should come with history - IMO once you pick one that should be it.

Completely agree.

mightybears

Bench

very much agree, and re jersey design to a lesser extent.

mightybears

Bench
No mate.

Cronulla were brown and yellow, until Penrith got in with the brown first.

Cronulla then changed to the much better option of black, white and blue (I believe to match the local surf club who already had that colour scheme).

I thought Cronulla were brown & yellow, they went with the blue instead first for their first season in the NSWRL and then Penrith had to find an alternative to their blue......and went the brown.

?

Craegus

Juniors
I thought Cronulla were brown & yellow, they went with the blue instead first for their first season in the NSWRL and then Penrith had to find an alternative to their blue......and went the brown.

?

Correct

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Taken from: www rl1908 com/Clubs/Cronulla-Sharks htm & [/FONT]www rl1908 com/Clubs/Penrith-Panthers htm
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Looking to expand the game into Sydney's ever growing suburbs, in 1967 the NSWRL added two new clubs to the competition - the first additions since Parramatta and Manly entered in 1947. [/FONT]​
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Despite objections from more financially powerful Wentworthville club, the League selected Penrith and Cronulla. Against Wentworthville's claims was its geographic proximity to Parramatta who were still struggling themselves to maintain premiership credibility. [/FONT]​
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Cronulla club wore chocolate coloured jerseys with a gold V while in the Sydney 2nd Division competition. However, in October 1966 the club announced that its 1967 playing strip for its Sydney premiership debut would be a sky blue jersey adorned with a white V, the player numbers on the back being red. [/FONT]​
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]According to W.F. Corbett writing in the Sydney Sun: "The blue, white and black colours were adopted from the Cronulla Surf Club." The club badge featured a black outline drawing of Captain Cook's ship the ‘Endeavour'. The Cronulla club treasurer, Arthur Winn, explaining at the time: "We used the Endeavour emblem because of our proximity to Botany Bay into which Captain Cook sailed."[/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Penrith Panthers though had to dump their blue jersey design after the Cronulla side registered a predominantly blue jersey design first - even though they wore gold and brown in 1966. With Newtown, Canterbury, Easts and Parramatta also displaying various shades of blue Penrith went in search of an alternative. Its not clear why, but the club chose a brown coloured jersey with a white V and shoulder saddle. The Panther badge included a dash of blue to honour its past colour.[/FONT]

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
re jersey design even more so for the traditional clubs. Canterburys current super league v jersey is a disgrace.
:lol: It was well and truly a curved vee for Super League, it's almost straightened out now. I wish we went back to the square vee but fair dinkum, calling our jersey a disgrace? :lol: Seen many of the jerseys around lately?

Saint Doc

Coach
Whilst I dont think the jersey is a disgrace, I definitely think superleague when i see it. It has evolved since then no doubt, but it still has the superleague look about it. When you look at every other SL club they've distanced themselves from the look, but the dogs havn't (yet)

1571003840078000.jpg
RL-players_w250.jpg

Would be good to see the pre-SL style back.
150th_sm_bull-leag-bp-004.jpg

***MH***

Bench
Whilst I dont think the jersey is a disgrace, I definitely think superleague when i see it. It has evolved since then no doubt, but it still has the superleague look about it. When you look at every other SL club they've distanced themselves from the look, but the dogs havn't (yet)

1571003840078000.jpg
RL-players_w250.jpg

Would be good to see the pre-SL style back.
150th_sm_bull-leag-bp-004.jpg
You think they would ever do a Super League retro round?

_Johnsy

Referee
Brisbane V NQ would be the ideal time, and they could beam the telecast into China, Russia....................................

flippikat

First Grade
For all their weirdness, there are still some Superleague jerseys that are OK.

Refer to designs here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_Super_League_%28Australia%29_season

* The Perth jersey was not too bad, a little bit better than the 1995 "panels" jersey, which was a bit busy - interestingly, the current Reds jersey is closer to the SL jersey than the 1995 jersey.

* I like the Cowboys jersey with the striped V - it's a straightforward design, and it's a damn lot better than some of the art projects they've been wearing recently.

* The Sharks design was not too bad (same template as the Reds, but it looked ok). Although my favourite sharks jerseys were the ones with fin designs that they wore after SL.

But there were soome shockers too.

* The Broncos/Raiders template was just plain weird.
A star-burst? arrows pointing to the groin? Were the designers on crack??

* The Mariners/Rams template was silly too.. the same v-design on back AND front? WRONG!

But I had a particular hate for the Warriors/Panthers template - psychedelic spaghetti.
The only other first grade jersey I've seen like that was the Tigers from a few years ago.

Why don't designers understand that "less is more"?