What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Memberships

He said its not enough to just say you follow a team, you should actually be a member. Also mentioned some figures from Todd Greenburg that in the 80s the AFL had only 80 000 members in total and they have 500000+ which contributes 100 million to their game, compared to 20 million currently for the NRL - so its going to be a long term process.

At my seminars a couple of years ago I expressed the importance of GROWING THE BUSINESS OF FOOTBALL and this was a major point.

The growth of AFL once they defined clear objective goals was extraordinary.

Also involved in this process are improved stadia facilties including seat capacity (and tying into a growth of available memberships) and improved club operations (expansion of business outside of football).

Look at the example of Arsenal. The corporate section of their new 60,000 seat stadium makes more money ALONE per game than the ENTIRE SELLOUT (corporate + normal seating )of their former 40,000 seat stadium, Anfield Road.

These are the kinds of jumps rugby league requires, and driving this increase will be memberships and positive news, feeding the money machine as well as the business of football.

I define the Business of football as the victory for the hearts, minds, and then pockets of the average fan. None of these things are new, and have been known and studied by myself for the past 10 years. The accomplishment of these goals (broadly speaking for nrl is to get more football fans paying at stadia), requires a total re-think and turn-around by the powers that be, commiting to a move away from tiny suburban grounds. The upgrading of suburban grounds in this country is prohibitive unfortunately which is why the AFL has moved to centralised stadia, and rl may have to as well.

However, come a soccer world cup, higher quality stadia will be available, and this premise no longer exists for melbourne storm or brisbane broncos.

Last edited:

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
So souths had less people turn up to their game last week than they actually have ticketed members??

Something doesnt seem right about that.

Why? We have an interstate/regional membership in which members can attend any of 5 games. Clearly there would not of been many coming into Sydney on a Friday night for an 8:30 kick off against the Titans.

And an 8:30 kick off is disincetive even for Sydney based members.

Danish

Referee
I didn't think regional memberships could be included in the ticketed figures??

Even if we take that into account, that would mean that 1000 of these ticketed members would have to not show up, whilst at the same time not a single ANZ member, Titans fan or casual souths fan would be able to attend.

Either the membership figures are fudged or souths ticketed members are a fickle bunch, not turning up after 1 bad week.

m0nty

Juniors
Titans have 5500, hmm...

I read in the Australian today that Gold Coast FC already have 4000 members, even though they're only playing in an AFL juniors comp this year. :eek:

S.S.T.I.D

Bench

Even if we take that into account, that would mean that 1000 of these ticketed members would have to not show up, whilst at the same time not a single ANZ member, Titans fan or casual souths fan would be able to attend.

Either the membership figures are fudged or souths ticketed members are a fickle bunch, not turning up after 1 bad week.

There was no doubt a lot of ST holders that didn't turn up. The value of a ST is such that even if you miss a couple of games you still end up ahead.

The NRL did an audit of membership numbers in the week leading into the CS, so the numbers of obviously legit.

Coaster

Bench
Titans have 5500, hmm...

I read in the Australian today that Gold Coast FC already have 4000 members, even though they're only playing in an AFL juniors comp this year. :eek:

But we get 15000+ to games, and they are looking at 3000 if they are lucky.
And 75% of them will be from Melbourne

elbusto

Coach

a combination of fickle supporters and regional memberships.

Steyger

Juniors
At my seminars a couple of years ago I expressed the importance of GROWING THE BUSINESS OF FOOTBALL and this was a major point.

The growth of AFL once they defined clear objective goals was extraordinary.

Also involved in this process are improved stadia facilties including seat capacity (and tying into a growth of available memberships) and improved club operations (expansion of business outside of football).

Look at the example of Arsenal. The corporate section of their new 60,000 seat stadium makes more money ALONE per game than the ENTIRE SELLOUT (corporate + normal seating )of their former 40,000 seat stadium, Anfield Road.

These are the kinds of jumps rugby league requires, and driving this increase will be memberships and positive news, feeding the money machine as well as the business of football.

I define the Business of football as the victory for the hearts, minds, and then pockets of the average fan. None of these things are new, and have been known and studied by myself for the past 10 years. The accomplishment of these goals (broadly speaking for nrl is to get more football fans paying at stadia), requires a total re-think and turn-around by the powers that be, commiting to a move away from tiny suburban grounds. The upgrading of suburban grounds in this country is prohibitive unfortunately which is why the AFL has moved to centralised stadia, and rl may have to as well.

However, come a soccer world cup, higher quality stadia will be available, and this premise no longer exists for melbourne storm or brisbane broncos.

Careful ;-)

MsStorm

Bench
Titans have 5500, hmm...

I would like to see a link to those numbers and what sort of prices people are paying for their memberships.

TheRam

Coach
It doesn't appear that you haven't seen what they charge. Only the staunchest of the staunch (and richest of the rich) would pay what they are asking. It is borderline criminal and they only have themselves to blame.

Well that's just great. So much for Searle being the great new CEO for the modern club. Someone should read him the story about the 'Goose that laid the golden egg'.

Grow the product first you idiots and the gold will naturally come. Bunch of tossers. I swear, the game just can't seem to shake the amateurs within it. :crazy:

DINGb@T

Juniors
Warriors are suffering for their poor form which happened at exactly the wrong time. They had awesome membership numbers last year because of the win in the World Cup and the miserable nature of union over there but the rubbish season the Warriors had last year has gone and spoilt everything. I've got a graph of their crowds last year- they start really high and then crash by the middle of the season.

petetheileet

First Grade
non ticketed though yeah???

is there an updated list of ticketed???

surely souths n saints could be up around 12k by now

Latest posts