What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 NRL Jersey and Sponsorship Discussion pt 2

King Ben

Juniors
Sharks jersey looking good, not only with sponsors galore but no tacky boxes. Great integration.

kdalymc

Bench
Even those older jerseys had their issues. They were nice designs, but still not very distinct (take away the badges and most people wouldnt recognise this)

3263-melbourne-storm-1998-retro-jersey-740.jpg

You think of the jersey of any other NRL team (Souths, Dragons, Knights, whoever); you could spend 30 seconds with some crayons and still do a drawing of a teams strip that is unmistakable. The Storm, not so much...

The great thing about their 9s jersey is that it was the first time the really differentiated themselves as a team and a brand (even just the diagonal design was unique to League, not even mentioning the huge lightning bolt). I think that's the design they really need to stick with.

To be fair they only had this jersey for one year, 99 they added lighting bolts which made it a unique design and very identifiable. Wasn't until a couple of years later they got a sponsor (still with an awesome design) and it started creeping up under the chin..
They've completely lost it now cos they've built the jersey to suit the sponsor, not the other way around.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
To be fair they only had this jersey for one year, 99 they added lighting bolts which made it a unique design and very identifiable. Wasn't until a couple of years later they got a sponsor (still with an awesome design) and it started creeping up under the chin..
They've completely lost it now cos they've built the jersey to suit the sponsor, not the other way around.

Again, im not saying its a bad jersey. There is just nothing that particularly stands out (which, in a non-RL market, is important)...

136472-96c90b32-f371-11e2-a042-ef2526d5faaf.jpg

You want a design that sticks in peoples head and is totally unmistakable when they see it again. (im mean, i dont watch AFL. but i could still recognise every singlet just because they are designed to be memorable)

Thats why this...

MSJR318BLK-2.jpg

...would be such a perfect design; Its incredibly simple, but still very distinct and represents the brand perfectly.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Even those older jerseys had their issues. They were nice designs, but still not very distinct (take away the badges and most people wouldnt recognise this)

3263-melbourne-storm-1998-retro-jersey-740.jpg

You think of the jersey of any other NRL team (Souths, Dragons, Knights, whoever); you could spend 30 seconds with some crayons and still do a drawing of a teams strip that is unmistakable. The Storm, not so much...

The great thing about their 9s jersey is that it was the first time the really differentiated themselves as a team and a brand (even just the diagonal design was unique to League, not even mentioning the huge lightning bolt). I think that's the design they really need to stick with.

The brand is in the colours. This is by far my most fave storm jersey and the only one I own and wear.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The brand is in the colours. This is by far my most fave storm jersey and the only one I own and wear.

That only ever works if its 1 core colour: QLD in maroon, NSW in sky blue, Newtown in royal blue...

(That wouldnt be a bad idea if it was the 2012 purple colour, but as a sold design. so no lightning bolts or anything).

storm%20jersey%20watermarked.jpg

But a combination of Navy and dark purple doesnt provide any contrast for a memorable combination, but still destract from each other. Its just a forgettable design...

Last edited:

ek999

First Grade
How desperate are those 5 clubs for cash. The Bulldogs would never stoop so low as to do a movie tie-in jersey...

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Melbourne's jersey is fine imo.

They haven't been around long but they've built an iconic image around the purple/navy mix and lighting bolt chevron. One of the few clubs I'd leave well enough alone.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Why are the Knights not involved in that ISC-Marvel thing? Not that Im complaining cause I think its a stupid idea

Zigwaa

Bench
Here we go folks:

BseBL3dCQAErTn5.jpg

Wow, just wow.

If anything was to say NRL is not a sport it is a business it's this.

All the one-offs before have been tolerable, but 5 teams wearing non recognisable (except maybe canberra) super hero jerseys is WAY over the top.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Really?

I love it. I think it's a novel way to attract fans tbh - kids will love it, and provided they're available for sale will make an absolute killing for the clubs involved.

I think we take ourselves too seriously as a code sometimes.

beave

Coach
I can't wait for the NFL to do something like this...... Oh wait, they wouldn't stoop this f**king low.

deadset this is embarrassing IMO, i don't know the bank balances of those clubs but all bar St George are financially sound I believe, I don't understand why they are doing it.

100%green

Juniors
I can't wait for the NFL to do something like this...... Oh wait, they wouldn't stoop this f**king low.

deadset this is embarrassing IMO, i don't know the bank balances of those clubs but all bar St George are financially sound I believe, I don't understand why they are doing it.

The NBA do sleeved jerseys for their games around Christmas time. Also a number of teams in a number of comps do things like Military Jerseys and the like through the season.

Most English sports change all their jerseys every season.

In short GET OVER IT.

Rarely in this thread do people look at what the positives are out of this. So many are just quick to jump all over the fact teams don't just wear one jersey all year every year.

Kids will be all over this. Parents will pay for it. WE compete with 2 other winter codes not to mention the summer sports. Any advantage or sale counts.

I LOVE THESE JERSEYS. Awesome idea. And even though I am Raiders through and through i might just buy all these as I am a comic book geek as well. :D