What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016 NFL draft thread

shiznit

Coach
I agree but the consensus around there is top 10 QB and most mocks have Goff there too.
I dunno who you put in there at free agent, maybe Foles who'd be cheap but I think they want Goff.
If Kaep was leaving San Fran he's an option but I don't see that happening now.

I seen a mock this morning with Cowboys taken Wentz at 4 totally ridiculous, Goff is at least an immediate starter... I actually don't see any of the others as first round quality imo.
Sam Bradford for a start... Hell... I'd trade for Zach Mettenberger before I take any of this draft class with a first round pick.

Hasselbeck who's backing up Luck could be real good option to bridge a couple of seasons for a young QB.

Shorty

Staff member
Saw that mock too and thought WTF?

Although I would be happy for the 9ers to take Myles Jack.

Interesting to see the Titans playing the "we'll trade down" card. I don't see it happening tbh.
Yeah, I took that part with a grain of salt cause it happens every time this sort of draft order happens.
Sam Bradford for a start... Hell... I'd trade for Zach Mettenberger before I take any of this draft class with a first round pick.

Hasselbeck who's backing up Luck could be real good option to bridge a couple of seasons for a young QB.
I forgot about Bradford, but isn't that what the Browns/Texans have been doing with little success, taking FA and also taking late round QBs?
I can certainly see both sides of the coin.

With regards to Connor Cook, I agree poor option not going to Senior Bowl...he appears to be the guy that will slip or get drafted much later then he'd prefer.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee

abpanther

Staff member
Did anyone catch the Senior Bowl? I was really impressed with QB Dak Prescott, I think he's a really solid 2nd-3rd round QB. As I've said previously I really like the mid round QBs in this draft; Prescott, Adams, Allen, Driscoll, Doughty and Hogan. I think that these six guys all have a shot at becoming decent NFL starters, and I would be surprised if at least two of them didn't have good, solid pro careers. The trick is
trying to figure out which ones. They all have their flaws, but they all have something going for them, too.

The other guy that really impressed me in this game was Noah Spence. I had concerns about his playing strength but he answered them for me in this game. I think he's one of the best edge rushers in this draft. He has a past, but I've read enough about the kid and how he's rebounded from it to believe firmly that character is no longer an issue. Top-fifteen pick easy in my opinion

zombie jesus

Staff member
Did anyone catch the Senior Bowl? I was really impressed with QB Dak Prescott, I think he's a really solid 2nd-3rd round QB. As I've said previously I really like the mid round QBs in this draft; Prescott, Adams, Allen, Driscoll, Doughty and Hogan. I think that these six guys all have a shot at becoming decent NFL starters, and I would be surprised if at least two of them didn't have good, solid pro careers. The trick is
trying to figure out which ones. They all have their flaws, but they all have something going for them, too.

The other guy that really impressed me in this game was Noah Spence. I had concerns about his playing strength but he answered them for me in this game. I think he's one of the best edge rushers in this draft. He has a past, but I've read enough about the kid and how he's rebounded from it to believe firmly that character is no longer an issue. Top-fifteen pick easy in my opinion

Sshhh, gotta talk down his character so he drops to 25.

Shorty

Staff member

I have liked Prescott for a while, I think I would prefer him to Lynch and due to his projection Cowboys could take him and still focus on other needs higher.
Though Jerry seems to fkn want Manziel or RG3.
Braxton Miller was another that did well, I don't think he's worthy of first round but definitely one to watch.

Tom155

Coach

Watched it Wentz made some very impressive throws but his didn't help him at all. Brandon Allen was probably my favourite of the others he impressed me again, I think he could be a solid mid round pick for someone.

Spence is a 1st round lock after that performance if he stays out of trouble of course.

Aaron Green was another that stood out to me making people miss + powering through contact. I am big Kenneth Dixon fan as well great all around runner as well as being a natural pass catcher.

The group that really impressed me was the D-line guys like Butler, Day, Johnson, Washington, Ioannidis, Rankins & Reed all made great plays in the game or had excellent weeks in practice, it's a deep talented group of D-linemen in this draft.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Time for Draft Day (the movie) for the Browns....Get that pancake eating mother f**ker.

They bombed with the last QB.

Shorty

Staff member
Yes he's bringing nothing but bad publicity, I'm guessing nobody is sniffing for a trade either.
Especially since I read Kaep isn't down with SanFran.

Browns will take Goff in draft I reckon, hopefully they don't ruin him.

zombie jesus

Staff member
Had a look at Eli Apple as a lot of people are mocking him to the Steelers. I would not be down with that pick at all.

Not a good tackler, in technique and attitude. A heap of missed tackles and looks like he has a reluctance to make a hit, you can work on technique but you can't really make a guy want to tackle. He also gets caught up in blocks way too easily for my liking, not much fight there.

He's not a Steelers type corner at all from what I've seen, couldn't see them going near him in the first.

Another note:
For a later round QB I like what I've seen of Nate Sudfeld, maybe it's his size gets me a little excited but I think he could be a starter with some time, good guy to get late.

ChibaMariners

Juniors
That's craziness imo..... You pick the best player on your board...

If there's no value at the top of the first at the QB position you either draft the best player available or trade down to a spot where there is value for a QB.

I haven't seen much of this years QB class... But no one so far has screamed top 5 pick...

Reaching for a QB is what gets you in trouble.... Sometimes it's better to look later in the draft for a kid who can sit behind a veteran and learn his craft.

Another thing is it looks likely they are going to lose Joe Thomas.... I don't know how keen I'd be throwing a rookie out there behind a new LT... Would be better to bring in a vet.

Goff is a easy Top 5 for me.

He's one of the more polished QB's I've seen in recent years in terms of technique. Godly footwork, sniper like accuracy, throws a great catchable ball, throws great touch passes, actually goes through of all his progressions. The thing I like about him as that he is poised under pressure. He was not surrounded by a ton of premier talent and had a meddling offensive line and still thrived. This is the bee's-knee's in terms of what you are looking for in a pro-ready QB.

Only concerns are that there have been literally 0 Air-Raid(Or any "Raid" system) QB that have had success in the NFL and his arm strength isn't really special. His frame can be fixed with an offseason or 2 of dedicated weight training.

Last edited:

Tom155

Coach
Goff is without a doubt the top QB for me

I read the Brown like the bigger Wentz which would be a mistake imo even though I like Wentz

Don't really want any of the QB's to go to Cleveland, none ever succeed there

kurt faulk

Coach

I read the Brown like the bigger Wentz which would be a mistake imo even though I like Wentz

That's because they always pick bad ones. Quinn, weeden, alcho. What the hell are they thinking at the back end of the 1st round?

Shorty

Staff member

I always see this and think.... well the Browns are a team like anyone else and want to succeed.
Its not the fans fault the Browns are a crappy team.
Plus even though they did ruin Couch, some of the others were never good, which Browns ex QB is succeeding elsewhere?
We all know how Hoyer went in the playoffs.

For the record I think this coaching staff and management will be better and they'll take Goff.

ChibaMariners

Juniors

This would be a very Cleveland Browns-esque move.

Wentz isn't close to being ready to start as a professional. He was surrounded by premier talent(At the level North Dakota State plays at least), played in a very clean pocket where he had all day to make the pass. Passing into tight windows wasn't always a necessity because of this, little nuances like going through all of his progressions wasn't always a necessity because the Bison are just THAT much more talented than the rest of their competition. It's my opinion that he needs to ride the bench for at least 1 year. 2 year's would be even better if you could afford it.

He's certainly shown the ability to make pro level throws. He has outstanding athleticism, and he's obviously smart and has the willingness to learn to go from a prospect who wasn't even recruited to a highly touted prospect, but I reckon teams will dig into the game film a bit more once the draft nears and expectation of him will become a bit more tempered. If you can get him after pick #8 or so the value could justify him sitting for a year. Otherwise if you are picking in the Top 5 you absolutely have to get a player that is ready to impact the game from Day 1, and I believe Goff is the only guy in the draft that is close to being that.

zombie jesus

Staff member
Mayock rankings.

Quarterback
1. Carson Wentz, North Dakota State
2. Jared Goff, California
3. Paxton Lynch, Memphis
4. Connor Cook, Michigan State
5. Dak Prescott, Mississippi State

Running back
1. Ezekiel Elliott, Ohio State
2. Derrick Henry, Alabama
3. Devontae Booker, Utah
4. Kenneth Dixon, Louisiana Tech
5. Jordan Howard, Indiana

Wide receiver
1. Laquon Treadwell, Ole Miss
2. Corey Coleman, Baylor
3. Michael Thomas, Ohio State
4. Josh Doctson, TCU
5. Will Fuller, Notre Dame

Tight end
1. Hunter Henry, Arkansas
2. Austin Hooper, Stanford
3. Jerrell Adams, South Carolina
4. Nick Vannett, Ohio State
5. Henry Krieger Coble, Iowa

Offensive tackle
1. Laremy Tunsil, Ole Miss
2. Ronnie Stanley, Notre Dame
3. Jack Conklin, Michigan State
4. Taylor Decker, Ohio State
5. Willie Beavers, Western Michigan

Guard
1. Cody Whitehair, Kansas State
2. Vadal Alexander, LSU
3. Joshua Garnett, Stanford
4. Christian Westerman, Arizona State
5. Graham Glasgow, Michigan

Center
1. Ryan Kelly, Alabama
2. Nick Martin, Notre Dame
3. Max Tuerk, USC
4. Evan Boehm, Missouri
5. Jack Allen, Michigan State

Interior defensive line
1. DeForest Buckner, Oregon
2. Robert Nkemdiche, Ole Miss
3. Sheldon Rankins, Louisville
4. Jarran Reed, Alabama
5. A'Shawn Robinson, Alabama

Edge rusher
1. Joey Bosa, Ohio State
2. Noah Spence, Eastern Kentucky
3. Shaq Lawson, Clemson
4. Leonard Floyd, Georgia
5. Kevin Dodd, Clemson

Linebacker
1. Jaylon Smith, Notre Dame
2. Myles Jack, UCLA
3. Reggie Ragland, Alabama
4. Darron Lee, Ohio State
5. Deion Jones, LSU

Cornerback
1. Jalen Ramsey, Florida State
2. Vernon Hargreaves, Florida
3. Mackensie Alexander, Clemson
4. Eli Apple, Ohio State
5. Cyrus Jones, Alabama

Safeties
1. Karl Joseph, West Virginia
2. Vonn Bell, Ohio State
3. Darien Thompson, Boise State
4. Miles Killebrew, Southern Utah
5. Jeremy Cash, Duke

zombie jesus

Staff member
1. Tennessee Titans
Laremy Tunsil, OT, Ole Miss
The No. 1 pick in the 2016 NFL draft could end up being directly tied to the No. 2 pick in the 2015 NFL draft. In short: The Titans have no choice but to improve their offensive line and do whatever they can to make sure Marcus Mariota is on the field for more than the 12 games he played as a rookie. Getting the offensive lineman with the highest upside in the draft is a good place to start.

2. Cleveland Browns
Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota State
We still have a couple of months to debate whether this will be Wentz or Jared Goff. But remember there's also the distinct possibility that Hue Jackson and the new front office aggressively pursue another QB in the trade market. I note that because regardless of whether the Browns draft a QB in this spot, it's almost certainly not their preference to start him in Week 1.

3. San Diego Chargers
DeForest Buckner, DE, Oregon
If Tunsil is still available here, the Chargers would have a tough time passing on him, given the mess that has been their offensive line over the past few seasons. Buckner and Joey Bosa are going to grade out similarly, so it's more about preference and fit. That said, Buckner fits pretty much everywhere.

4. Dallas Cowboys
Jared Goff, QB, California
This is going to be a fascinating situation. On one hand, the Dallas front office isn't the least bit delusional if they look at the roster with a healthy Tony Romo and believe they can compete for a playoff spot, which makes it harder to take a QB who might not see the field for a couple of years. But ... let's not forget that they need to upgrade the backup QB situation, period. That's what derailed them last season when Romo was out. Tough call, especially if Goff is the top QB on their board and he's available here.

5. Jacksonville Jaguars
Jalen Ramsey, DB, Florida State
The temptation to take Bosa here is probably strong, because both he and Ramsey would help defend the pass, one in coverage, the other by reducing the time any opposing QB can hang onto the ball. But with Dante Fowler Jr. coming back, they go with Ramsey, a gifted, versatile player who can play corner or safety.

6. Baltimore Ravens
Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio State
At this point, a team that has multiple needs will find it hard to pass on Bosa, who is the best player on the board here. He comes in with the ability to immediately upgrade the pass rush, and unlike many rookies who can get after the passer, Bosa is also a dynamic run defender.

7. San Francisco 49ers
Myles Jack, LB, UCLA
The 49ers had their linebacking corps diminished before the season even started in 2015, and Jack -- who will be 100 percent even though he's not a full workout participant at the NFL combine -- gives them immediate help as a gifted linebacker who can cover as well as a good safety.

8. Miami Dolphins
Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame
Adam Gase will be charged with getting Ryan Tannehill back on track, and getting a potentially elite tackle is a good way to aid in that process, as sacks have plagued Tannehill throughout his career thus far. Stanley returned to Notre Dame and made himself more NFL-ready. The Dolphins would benefit if he's available here.

9. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Vernon Hargreaves, CB, Florida
The best pure cover corner in the draft would benefit anyone, and the Bucs are in a division where they have to face Drew Brees, Matt Ryan and Cam Newton six times a season. Tampa Bay needs a talent infusion at cornerback, and Hargreaves is going to grade out as a player who is ready to be on the field in Week 1.

10. New York Giants
Noah Spence, DE/OLB, Eastern Kentucky
The departure of Jason Pierre-Paul is a likelihood, and that leaves the Giants extremely vulnerable to opposing passers if they don't find help in the pass rush. Spence comes with off-field concerns, but also the upside to be a major force as an edge-rusher. It'll be hard to pass on him at this point.
Noah Spence showed off his elite pass-rushing skills at the Senior Bowl after finishing his college career at Eastern Kentucky. AP Photo/David Stephenson

11. Chicago Bears
Jaylon Smith, LB, Notre Dame
If Jaylon Smith didn't end his career at Notre Dame being carted off the field in the Fiesta Bowl, you're looking at a player who wouldn't be available here. If it's just about the tape, this is one of the top three or four players in the entire draft, a gifted sideline-to-sideline defender who can cover. The potential reward at a position of need makes him a great addition here.

12. New Orleans Saints
Sheldon Rankins, DL, Louisville
The Saints are in the midst of a rebuild on the defensive side of the ball, and Rankins can be unblockable when he's at his best, with exceptional quickness and the ability to make plays in the backfield from the interior. A stellar week in Mobile at the Senior Bowl secured his place in the top half of Round 1.

13. Philadelphia Eagles
Jack Conklin, OT, Michigan State
Philadelphia has a need at tackle, and Conklin has been a consistent performer over the past three seasons and will be ready to contribute as a rookie. Adding him could help secure their immediate future at tackle with Lane Johnson signed for the long term.

14. Oakland Raiders
Eli Apple, CB, Ohio State
Cornerback is a major need for the Raiders, which should be addressed in free agency and the draft. Apple is going to deal with some growing pains because he needs to be better from a technical standpoint and not so reliant on his physical ability, but he has coveted above-average size and tremendous potential.

15. Los Angeles Rams
Laquon Treadwell, WR, Ole Miss
Plenty of people will want to see the Rams go after a quarterback at this spot, but with the top two quarterbacks already off the board in this scenario, they don't have the option of taking a clear immediate upgrade at that position. Treadwell is better than a consolation prize, a potential No. 1 wide receiver who might not work out like a track star but has tape that shows he can make an impact in Year 1.

16. Detroit Lions
Jarran Reed, DL, Alabama
The Lions need to add talent to the interior of the defensive line even if Haloti Ngata returns for another year (or more). Reed isn't going to get sacks, but he immediately upgrades the run defense and is the kind of player who makes everyone around him better because he's so hard to move and can occupy blockers.

17. Atlanta Falcons
Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson
While Vic Beasley flashed potential as a rookie, he wasn't a force consistently, and the Falcons can't go wrong adding more to the pass rush. Lawson is well-coached and has more size to stay on the field and hold up as a three-down defender in either a 3-4 or 4-3 look, thanks to a versatile skill set.

18. Indianapolis Colts
Ryan Kelly, C, Alabama
Forget best player available and instead consider Kelly at this slot as best offensive lineman available. The Colts don't just need better protection for Andrew Luck in pass protection, they also have the opportunity to protect Luck through the ability to run the ball more consistently, and Kelly is going to help immediately in that regard.

19. Buffalo Bills
Kevin Dodd, DE, Clemson
Mario Williams is on the way out, and the difference between Buffalo being a playoff team or an also-ran is going to come from their ability to make major strides on the defensive side of the ball. Rex Ryan will get an NFL-ready defender who won't just make plays in the backfield as a pass-rusher, but also has the strength to defend the run and instincts to find the ball.

20. New York Jets
Reggie Ragland, LB, Alabama
Last year, the Jets took the best player available in Round 1 when they nabbed Leonard Wlliams at No. 6 overall, and Ragland certainly qualifies as a BPA if he's still around at No. 20. A monster against the run, Ragland plays faster than he'll run at the combine because of great instincts. Draft him with the expectation you can start him in Week 1.
Reggie Ragland will join an NFL roster ready to contribute immediately after a great career at Alabama. AP Photo/Eric Gay

21. Washington Redskins
A'Shawn Robinson, DL, Alabama
The Redskins became a more physical team in the 2015 draft, and the addition of Robinson would continue that trend for a general manager who knows great teams are built in the trenches. Washington has an improved pass rush but they need to get younger on the defensive interior, and Robinson comes in ready to contribute.

22. Houston Texans
Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio State
Arian Foster could be a cap casualty as he attempts to come back from a devastating injury, and Elliott can come in and provide a lot of what Foster has done so well -- a complete back who gets downhill and offers a consistent weapon in the passing game with great hands. Elliott is also an extraordinary blocker and a quarterback's best friend, whomever that QB is.

23. Minnesota Vikings
Cody Whitehair, OG, Kansas State
The Vikings need help at both tackle and guard, and while Whitehair played left tackle, I've had him listed as a future NFL guard for two years now. If he comes off the board in this range, an inevitable (and fair) comparison will be Zack Martin, who Dallas drafted in 2014 as a left tackle they immediately plugged in at guard with great results.

24. Cincinnati Bengals
Josh Doctson, WR, TCU
The Bengals could be doing some rebuilding in the secondary, but depending on how things shake out in free agency, they could also be looking for a No. 2 wide receiver opposite A.J. Green. Doctson is a burner with great ball skills. He's a weapon because of his speed without the ball and also with the ball in his hands; he can take short throws and turn them into long gains.

25. Pittsburgh Steelers
Kendall Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech
The Pittsburgh secondary really held the defense back in 2015 and will be a big focus this offseason. Unfortunately, the Steelers can't win bidding wars in free agency because of the cap situation, so they need to add help in the draft and also hope that Senquez Golson comes back ready to provide an impact.

26. Seattle Seahawks
Robert Nkemdiche, DL, Ole Miss
If a player like Cody Whitehair is still available at this point, you could see the Seahawks looking to address an immediate need on the offensive line. If not, Nkemdiche is more than a consolation prize if he can stay focused and put major off-field questions to rest. He's a top-10 talent but could see his stock slip if teams don't trust him, especially in a draft that is loaded with future impact starters on the defensive line.

27. Green Bay Packers
Hunter Henry, TE, Arkansas
The Packers need more weapons for Aaron Rodgers, but they do get Jordy Nelson back from injury and Henry offers a matchup threat as a big-bodied pass-catcher who can cause consistent matchup problems and get extra yardage after the catch. We're long past the point where we discount the idea of a tight end as a true weapon. Henry can help this offense.

28. Kansas City Chiefs
Jihad Ward, DE, Illinois
Another player who has risen on my board over the past month, Ward is a first-rounder because of his versatility as a lineman who can set the edge and also move inside. Ward has exceptional physical traits and is a high-ceiling talent because he's still just figuring things out and could be coached up into a truly special player.

29. Arizona Cardinals
Kamalei Correa, OLB, Boise State
The Cardinals were fortunate that Dwight Freeney still had his spin move going into 2015, and they need to add more in the pass rush. Correa offers some of what we saw from a young Freeney as a quick-twitch edge rusher who can beat tackles with quickness and could be a useful situational pass-rusher early in his career for a team that needs to close out games as teams play catch-up throwing the ball. See the QB, get the QB.

30. Carolina Panthers
Mackensie Alexander, CB, Clemson
The Panthers were creative with their personnel at cornerback this past season; they reached the Super Bowl even with a number of injuries diminishing the secondary. Alexander needs coaching but, like Josh Norman, is a ferocious competitor with the potential for greatness. Repeat after me: Great teams can't have enough good cornerbacks.

31. Denver Broncos
Taylor Decker, OT, Ohio State
The Broncos should be better along the offensive line in Year 2 of Gary Kubiak's tenure, and Decker is the kind of athlete and run-blocker who can thrive in Kubiak's system. The Broncos aren't going to be able to shop for starting tackles in free agency, given the type of talent they'll be attempting to retain, and Decker offers good value here.

Bosa from #1 to #6, replaced by Tunsil at #1
Wentz from #22 to #2.
Goff to Dallas at #4.
Noah Spence jumps in at #10.
Treadwell from SF at #7 to the LA at #15.
Lynch goes from #15 to out of the 1st.

Latest posts