What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Grand Final Panthers vs Broncos

Girds89

Bench
I am not saying we can't replace him.

Just Girds has said

Hosking
Garner
Now Alamonti aren't replacing him

If your talking about spencer ive said multiple times over the last few months i think the club has been planning for lisati to take that role..

He has played that exact role of the bench this yesr in cup. He has some developing to do and hes not as explosive as lenui but he has a bit more size to him i think or growing anyway..

In terms of critta, hes a much harder person to replace. Big game player who is clutch... and the best defensive centre in the game.

Ivan has his work cut out for him. Personally i think taylan is all quality. If he can come back from his knee 100% than i back him 110% to fill that role..

Hes quicker than critta and for a small bloke he is strong and can beat a man... some of the tries he scored on the wing in his first yesr were some of the best ive seen and he had no right on some of them.

The games in cup at centre he played (which was limited i know) but he killed it..

Defence at nrl will obviously be the issue there.

Girds89

Bench
hence my question
I never claim to be right. And i try to understand peoples opinions if the differ to mine and throw out a good discussion.

3 or 4 years ago i wouldnt have been confident..

But ivan has turmed into the new craig bellamy. He turns guys who were previously plodders imto genuine good nrl players.

Eiso, cogger, sos, hosking, tetevano, momo...

Than hes turned blokes like kenny, soro into genuine premiership players..

So yes... im confident that we can cover critta and lenui...

I mean... no way are they bigger losses than api or kiks...

Kiks was the best 2md rower in the game here who played 80 and api was the best hooker in the game..

He turned soro into a star secomd rower and kenny has just filled the role hes had to and done a fine job...

Given spencer gets scrap mins i think we can cover him. Even if it means moving leota to the bench for impact.. lindsay is more of a starter anyway..

Or you run with

8. Henry
10. Fish

15. Leota
16. Smith

Henry is a bloke that ismt fancy but hell take 20 carries in 40mins for 150m and miss no tackles and make 30. Not super impactful but highly reliable and cleans up heaps in the middle..

Critta is obviously harder to replace but theres options there.

Taylan. Peachy. Mclean. Alamonti. Cole. Garner.

Im not claiming to be right. I just think with ivans track record over the last 3 or 4 years people should show some confidence in him.

Hes more than shown hes capable

Iamback

Coach
If your talking about spencer ive said multiple times over the last few months i think the club has been planning for lisati to take that role..

He has played that exact role of the bench this yesr in cup. He has some developing to do and hes not as explosive as lenui but he has a bit more size to him i think or growing anyway..

In terms of critta, hes a much harder person to replace. Big game player who is clutch... and the best defensive centre in the game.

Ivan has his work cut out for him. Personally i think taylan is all quality. If he can come back from his knee 100% than i back him 110% to fill that role..

Hes quicker than critta and for a small bloke he is strong and can beat a man... some of the tries he scored on the wing in his first yesr were some of the best ive seen and he had no right on some of them.

The games in cup at centre he played (which was limited i know) but he killed it..

Defence at nrl will obviously be the issue there.

You are thinking longer term with Lisati, I doubt he plays round 1 given how injury disrupted he was.

For the record I don't see Alamonti playing round 1 either but I think he signed with the aim of getting the 14 role as opposed to sitting in NSW Cup.

I agree about May, But if May struggles than Ivan likely goes to Peachey or Garner to plug the gap.

Atleast until Luai is back and match fit Laurie/Alamonti on a edge will get carved up.

Iamback

Coach
I never claim to be right. And i try to understand peoples opinions if the differ to mine and throw out a good discussion.

3 or 4 years ago i wouldnt have been confident..

But ivan has turmed into the new craig bellamy. He turns guys who were previously plodders imto genuine good nrl players.

Eiso, cogger, sos, hosking, tetevano, momo...

Than hes turned blokes like kenny, soro into genuine premiership players..

So yes... im confident that we can cover critta and lenui...

I mean... no way are they bigger losses than api or kiks...

Kiks was the best 2md rower in the game here who played 80 and api was the best hooker in the game..

He turned soro into a star secomd rower and kenny has just filled the role hes had to and done a fine job...

Given spencer gets scrap mins i think we can cover him. Even if it means moving leota to the bench for impact.. lindsay is more of a starter anyway..

Or you run with

8. Henry
10. Fish

15. Leota
16. Smith

Henry is a bloke that ismt fancy but hell take 20 carries in 40mins for 150m and miss no tackles and make 30. Not super impactful but highly reliable and cleans up heaps in the middle..

Critta is obviously harder to replace but theres options there.

Taylan. Peachy. Mclean. Alamonti. Cole. Garner.

Im not claiming to be right. I just think with ivans track record over the last 3 or 4 years people should show some confidence in him.

Hes more than shown hes capable

Henry wouldn't get 40 mins in that set up though.

The point is you are wording it like us mentioning Alamonti as a middle is wrong because you wouldn't do it.

That is different than us being able to replace him or not

Girds89

Bench
You are thinking longer term with Lisati, I doubt he plays round 1 given how injury disrupted he was.

For the record I don't see Alamonti playing round 1 either but I think he signed with the aim of getting the 14 role as opposed to sitting in NSW Cup.

I agree about May, But if May struggles than Ivan likely goes to Peachey or Garner to plug the gap.

Atleast until Luai is back and match fit Laurie/Alamonti on a edge will get carved up.

Alamontis defence will improve here 1000%.

Hes attack will improve also and hes already got plenty of ability there.

Either way its a very low risk signing.

Peach was fine at centre this year.. id argue for a bloke on probs 250 to 300 he was well well above avg...

Id take him over most the centres earning doubke that.

Take gagai... hes one 600 and he was shit house for 70% of the year.. old mate from the dragons.. i forget his name. He was on well over that and was avg.

People shouldnt expect peach to be a 700k player..

For 250k hes absolutely great value.. yes he has some issues but at that price point you have to take the good with the bad.

Laurie wont be first pick if luai is down.

Will be schnieder 1000%..

At origin if luai somewhow gets picked which is unlikely than laurie might get his chance and we run

7. Schnieder
6. Laurie.

Otherwise i think daine is best looking at the 14 or back up for injuries

Girds89

Bench
Henry wouldn't get 40 mins in that set up though.

The point is you are wording it like us mentioning Alamonti as a middle is wrong because you wouldn't do it.

That is different than us being able to replace him or not

Depends. If you want maximum impact out of fish and leota than henry and smith get more mins...

I never said anything about Alamonti in the middle. Hes been signed as a centre.. he will play centre. Theres to many other options on the edge before him.

The club obviously likes mav (not sure what they see in him atm tbh) and given theyve kept riki they are clearly still hoping he gets a good run with injuries and kicks on.

Hosking and garner in on an edge to..

Than throw in hassett who should come into cup this year full time youd think..he is obviously 2 years off id say but if you think Alamonti can just transition to an edge in an off season i think thats a bit nuts..

Maybe Alamonti can play a 14 role but its not how ivan roles.

He likes a bloke that covers spine spots.

Alamonti isnt a 9 or half. Atleast peach can cover there as can a few others.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Yes we do..

Peachy is a back up..

Taylan is a far from guarantee to kill it there. Your talking about a bloke who play 8 or so games there in cup... predominantly on the wing his whole career..

People are just expecting him to be a walk up start for nrl centre after the worst onjury in the game.

Seriously. Like cmon..

We need a bit of depth at centre.

Alamonti is far more than depth fyi. He will be a genuie option. I personally think ivan can turn him into a star..
He’s an excellent centre, he’ll get first crack.

Taylan does anything he puts his mind too.

I think he’ll brain it.

Girds89

Bench
He’s an excellent centre, he’ll get first crack.

Taylan does anything he puts his mind too.

I think he’ll brain it.

I agree with the last two lines.

Hes played half a dozen games at centre in nsw cup...

Huge huge huge difference playing centre week to week in the nrl.

It will take him some time but i agree i think he will do well there. But its all really dependent on how he returns from the injury.

As ive said, his attack wont be the issue. How he can adjust to defending at centre will be the key.

Im backing him but its far from a certainty like some are thinking.

The club included and the signing of alamonti suggests as much.

downforasesh

Juniors
I think Taylan is great and I'd back him to own that centre spot just based on how good he is but also worth remembering he missed the '22 GF and the whole '23 season due to injury, he's gonna be hungry for a ring (assuming the ACL doesn't hamper him too much)

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I agree with the last two lines.

Hes played half a dozen games at centre in nsw cup...

Huge huge huge difference playing centre week to week in the nrl.

It will take him some time but i agree i think he will do well there. But its all really dependent on how he returns from the injury.

As ive said, his attack wont be the issue. How he can adjust to defending at centre will be the key.

Im backing him but its far from a certainty like some are thinking.

The club included and the signing of alamonti suggests as much.
It’s not like he’s stepping up from reserve grade, he’s played plenty of NRL, he knows the pace of the game, he’s a very smart player, he knows our system and he has an excellent tackling technique.

His knee is the only question, but I have know doubt he and the medical staff have done their best to get it right.

Alamonti is very talented, young and cheap. He’s been signed to play Cup and see how he develops. I’d certainly have him behind Taylan as far as NRL players go. In any position.

WestyLife

First Grade
Depends. If you want maximum impact out of fish and leota than henry and smith get more mins...

I never said anything about Alamonti in the middle. Hes been signed as a centre.. he will play centre. Theres to many other options on the edge before him.

The club obviously likes mav (not sure what they see in him atm tbh) and given theyve kept riki they are clearly still hoping he gets a good run with injuries and kicks on.

Than throw in hassett who should come into cup this year full time youd think..he is obviously 2 years off id say but if you think Alamonti can just transition to an edge in an off season i think thats a bit nuts..

It was mentioned on one of the bloke in a bar post GF streams the club want to turn him into an impact middle. Someone has leaked something.

Iamback

Coach
It was mentioned on one of the bloke in a bar post GF streams the club want to turn him into an impact middle. Someone has leaked something.

These things get out. Manager talks, player is asking why did you go there by friends. All sorts of reasons, Part of the discussion would be the clubs plans for him

Iamback

Coach

If Garner starts. You also have the option to play Sorro off the bench. Even if you start Sorro and move him to the middle later in the game.

I have said my bench round 1 would be

Peachey/Cole
Smith
Sorro
Hosking

But injuries happen, Maybe using Smith's passing game more doesn't have any impact.

Maybe Taylan struggles and Garner moves back out to centre.

The NSW Cup guys are way off pushing for FG. They would be a mid year options.

That includes Alamonti too. Particularly with Laurie instead of Luai for the 1st month

WestyLife

First Grade
These things get out. Manager talks, player is asking why did you go there by friends. All sorts of reasons, Part of the discussion would be the clubs plans for him

Yeah we've heard you talk about what's been said among friends before.

Ivan obviously sees some potential there and at a guess I'd say it's his poor defence with high potential skill that has him marked as an impact middle.

Iamback

Coach
Yeah we've heard you talk about what's been said among friends before.

Ivan obviously sees some potential there and at a guess I'd say it's his poor defence with high potential skill that has him marked as an impact middle.

Either way he is a bit down the line. I don't see him making round 1 but the side will evolve

Latest posts