What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Origin I - Wed 31 May - NSW 18-26 QLD @ Adelaide

Series: NSW v QLD

• New South Wales

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • Queensland

Votes: 22 46.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pumpkin

Juniors
I agree that the Hammer try wasn't really a mistake but I do believe he should of stopped the Cobbo try. He made 3 critical errors with Cobbo, Fox pass and Collins try. You can't afford making mistakes as a spine player in origin. He's definitely not the same player but he does make meters. Edwards currently makes more meters up the middle and has better support play. My whole point is how much longer do we persist with him whilst other players are performing better? I'm willing to give him another chance but if he fails again. Then it's gotta be his last origin. I have a bad feeling they'll keep picking him for years based on past merits and captaincy
I understand your concern but that won't be the case. The baton will be passed on to Edwards in due time. Btw if you watch the Cobbo try carefully you will see that Luai actually bumped Cobbo and knocked him out of Tedesco''s reach. It was quite unfortunate.

You are mistaken. Tedesco had a solid match. His incisive runs were instrumental in NSW being camped on the Qld line. Noone on earth would have stopped the hammer with that much space. Lindsey Collins snatching the ball out of his hands was one in a million. A fluke. The one mistake he made, which most people have missed, is not passing to an unmarked Fox close to the line. That was a certain try. I'm critical of that.
The after game commentary stated that Collins did the same at club level the game before Origin.
I understand your concern but that won't be the case. The baton will be passed on to Edwards in due time. Btw if you watch the Cobbo try carefully you will see that Luai actually bumped Cobbo and knocked him out of Tedesco''s reach. It was quite unfortunate.
Cobbo was too fast for Luai and Teddy. Reese Walsh's pass to Cobbo was too fast for Luai and Teddy. That play was just sheer class from the QLD players.

Many in the QLD side have their best Origin performances ahead of them. Even Munster can play better, and Slater has more series wins to come. What people are not taking into account is that Billy took over a 2021 QLD side which had incurred the biggest QLD Origin series defeat ever. The Rookie vs Fittler. He inspired the team to bring the right attitude and to have confidence in the process he was implementing. That process of rebuilding after 2021 is ongoing. QLD are not 'successful' after winning one series. QLD are successful when they play to their ability. QLD are successful when they commit to the task. Winning is the result of successes prior, during and after an Origin game. To look only at the game is to miss the point.

Bill is building a respect for playing at ths level and a support structure that optimises the preparation. Three games per year at this elite level require more preparation off field than understood. There is more that Bill is getting right, but that's for another day.

Last edited:
On the last Sunday Footy Show on Nine when asked about Nicho, Freddy said that with 10 minutes on the field, sometimes it is hard to 'get into the flow' of the game. Well Freddy, who made the decision to wait until the last 10 minutes to inject Nicho into the game, if that is your summation of the impact he made?

Pumpkin

Juniors
The after game commentary stated that Collins did the same at club level the game before Origin.

Cobbo was too fast for Luai and Teddy. Reese Walsh's pass to Cobbo was too fast for Luai and Teddy. That play was just sheer class from the QLD players.

Many in the QLD side have their best Origin performances ahead of them. Even Munster can play better, and Slater has more series wins to come. What people are not taking into account is that Billy took over a 2021 QLD side which had incurred the biggest QLD Origin series defeat ever. The Rookie vs Fittler. He inspired the team to bring the right attitude and to have confidence in the process he was implementing. That process of rebuilding after 2021 is ongoing. QLD are not 'successful' after winning one series. QLD are successful when they play to their ability. QLD are successful when they commit to the task. Winning is the result of successes prior, during and after an Origin game. To look only at the game is to miss the point.

Bill is building a respect for playing at ths level and a support structure that optimises the preparation. Three games per year at this elite level require more preparation off field than understood. There is more that Bill is getting right, but that's for another day.
Cobbo wasn't too fast for Teddy. Teddy had him covered before Luai bumped him out of Teddy's grasp.

I'm an admirer of Slater even though he's never on my side. His attention to detail, knowledge of the game and care for his players and state above himself are admirable qualities. Even before this match people on this thread were critical of the selection of Reece Walsh and omission of Gagai and I replied that I wouldn't be doubting Slater, he knows what he's doing. I don't see any of those people admitting they were wrong and they are the same people who won't admit they are wrong if Edwards is picked and can't handle the pressure. They'll be blaming Freddy and saying why didn't they pick Teddy in such a pressure match.