What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Pre-Season Challenge - Week 2 (incl WCC)

Munky

Coach
There is a distinctive lack of smugness in the air

The smug died with Api and Kikau leaving.

The team dominated the NRL last season with Mitch Kenny and Salmon in the first choice seventeen. The other fifteen were that good to cover such plod.

Garner and Hosking as second rowers plus Kenny starting has me worried a bit for 2023.

IIRC Kenny has a single try assist in his career.

It's a shame there was no 2022 WCC because last year's squad with a full off season would have been great to see.

Iamback

Coach

The team dominated the NRL last season with Mitch Kenny and Salmon in the first choice seventeen. The other fifteen were that good to cover such plod.

Garner and Hosking as second rowers plus Kenny starting has me worried a bit for 2023.

It's a shame there was no 2022 WCC because last year's squad with a full off season would have been great to see.

The attack tonight was what we had hoped to be wrong about

I knew they would lose after seeing there line up. There must of been atleast 6 players missing from there grand final side. They rely on Edwards a lot more than people think and Criton is absolutely useless at fullback. Can't help but feel they weren't taking it seriously and the shitty crowd/atmosphere didn't help
They looked very unApi

I think you nailed the problems based on what I saw. Penrith definitley missed Api around the rucks. Kenny is a good defender and runs ok, but he didn't seem to offer much direction or guile at dummy half. This was exacerbated with Edwards not playing as Crichton was a mistake-athon at fullback last night.

Whilst Cleary wasn't brilliant, but neither was he poor. He at least tried. Luai was the one whom I thought was AWOL in that game.

As to the srecond row, they missed Kikau's bullocking runs, but they also missed his and Liam Martin's defence. Hosking and Garner were terrible defensively. Whilst Martin will come back, that left side defence is gonna be very shaky with Garner inside Luai.

Last edited:

flippikat

Bench
The Warriors commitment to keeping the Storm out is heartening - would like to see a bit more shape & purpose on attack, but hey a breakaway try is still pretty cool.

Oh, and the stadium can't be replaced soon enough. It's a fair enough temporary or b-Stadium, but the South Island's major city deserves a new first-choice venue. Thank goodness that's FINALLY under construction.