What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Trial 1 - Rabbitohs vs Sea Eagles: Friday 10th February 8pm @ Industree Group Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
Yooohooooooo!!! Footy is finally back baby!! It feels pretty surreal to say that as we finally have a proper game to prepare for and look forward to this week after a long pre-Season. It's the first game of the year, the first trial match, so it's always exciting to see that Red and Green back out there on the paddock in a proper game.

We take on Manly on Friday night up there in Gosford. hard to get a gauge on what sort of a game it will be until the line ups come out but it's the first trial for both teams, so I don't expect many, if any, regular first graders to be named. We'll give all our young guys, fringe first graders and guys that have something to prove a hit out in this one I imagine. I'm picking that Manly will do the same. That's what generally happens with all teams in their first trial.

Really excited to open our account for the year and really get the show on the road. I'm particularly excited to see some of our young fullas getting a run. We have a great crop coming through and they're finally going to get a chance to strut their stuff and show us what they're made of in a proper trial game.

Of course, it's a Pre-Season match so the result really doesn't matter but I gotta say, it would be nice to get a win that's for sure. We also have the extra added spice of the Pre-Season challenge this year which I guess could make a win more important, but I can't see us focusing on that too much. Business as usual in terms of how trials are normally handled.

Pumped for it that's for sure!! Let's get it!!

callmack1

Staff member
Our first team list of the year is in! How exciting!!

Rabbitohs Team List for our NRL Pre-Season match against Sea Eagles: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...-nrl-our-pre-season-match-against-sea-eagles/

Damnnnn, that's a much stronger line up than I was expecting for our first trial but I'm certainly not complaining. It's a pretty good side for a first trial.

It's the forward pack in particular that's strong as all of those guys are in, around, or very close to our best 17.

I'm most looking forward to seeing Karapani, Mamouzelos, Moale, Host and Duncan. But there's plenty of others who I'll be watching closely for the first time.

A pretty decent extended bench too, and I assume it'll follow the trend of previous years where they pretty much swap close to the entire team out at half time due to the unlimited interchanges.

Plenty of guys in there with a point to prove and a claim to stake, I'm really looking forward to seeing how they go!

Rabbits20

Immortal
I work on Friday Night @callmack1 I will watch it back after work. I’ll do my gameday preview. Not long mate til it’s TIME ONCE AGAIN TO GET ON OUR FFFEEEETTTTT!!!

Rabbits20

Immortal
Well Game Day is upon us the footy is back how good! Our Rabbitohs play their first trial game of 2023. It’s certainly going to be exciting watching a few of our regular playing 17 playing as well as fringe first graders and some youngsters coming through. I’m happy with our team listed that will run out. I’m looking forward to watching young Mamozelos at hooker, Moale and Sele up front, Cheeks who didn’t get to play much footy last year due injury and Hosty in the same boat. I’m happy for Hosty getting to Captain us he’s a good clubman and a big part of our 17 come the season too. Also will be good to watch young Tallis Duncan there are big wraps on him and Benny Lovett as well. In the backs we will see Ta’affe start at FB but we expect him to also spend some time in the halves. Be good to watch Kennar play as well he’s always solid and young Karipani has a big future be great to watch him tomorrow night as well as Leon Ta Hau and Kalokalo.

All in all it’s great just to have the footy back most of all and getting that mighty red and green flowing through our veins once more.

Come of just before 8pm tomorrow night…. OK RABBITOHS MEMBERS AND RABBITOHS SUPPORTERS ITS TIME TO GET ON YOUR FFFEEEETTTT….

MAKE PLENTY OF NOISE FOR YOUR BOYS……. HERE THEY COME YOUR SOUTH SYDNEY RRAABBBIITTTOOHHHSSSSS!!!

LETS GO RRRAAABBBIITTOOHHSSS!!!

callmack1

Staff member
Feels pretty damn surreal to say this but Footy is finally back and we finally have a game day on our hands! Been a long, hard Off-Season but finally, for the first time in months, we get to cheer on our mighty Rabbitohs as the Red and Green takes the field in our first trial game against our old rivals Manly.

While this is a trial and it won't be as fiery as regular Season matches against them, I still expect the boys to give it their all and go hard. The result doesn't matter but a win would be great, that'd be great signs. last year we had a poor trial period and that form carried into the start of the Season so I do think performances at this time of year are important. We can't expect our baby Bunnies to go out there and be on fire, with everything clicking straight away, but I do still hope for a performance we can be proud of.

For me, this will be the first time I've seen a lot of the lesser known young guys play so I'm really excited to see them go at it and see who stakes their claim. Really looking forward to seeing Karapani, Kalo Kalo, Duncan and Lovett in particular as in my opinion, they're the best of the next emerging crop. But who knows? Someone could surprise us tonight.

Gonna be great to watch our more regulars go again too. Big moment for Hosty captaining the team, has Taaffe added anything to his game? Will Mamouzelos show signs of a breakout year? Can Davvy step up? These are all questions we may have a clearer picture on after the 80 minutes tonight.

All in all I'm just friggin excited to have the Footy back! Lets gooooo!!

callmack1

Staff member
Enjoy our first game of the year everyone!! Bit of a weird feeling this one, no nerves like I would in the Regular Season, just pure excitement! Can't wait to see out Baby Bunnies go at it!!

Footy is back babyyyyy!!!!

Rip in lads.

callmack1

Staff member
Disappointed with the result but not disappointed over all if that makes sense. I thought it was a really solid hit out over all and I'm relatively proud of the boys. They looked great for about 60 minutes until all the Reggies came on. Certainly gave it a real crack and a lot of them looked way better than this time last year.

Standouts for me,

How could you not say Dion Teaupa? I'd never seen him play before today and jeez I'm impressed. He just looked so classy! So calm, so crafty, so balanced. Everything he touched was class. Excellent kicking game and pretty electric with the ball in hand. He created plenty for others and himself. Didn't put a foot wrong defensively either. I know it's only one game but if he carries on like that, he's going places.

Tallis Duncan another standout. Always knew he's highly rated and I've seen him play quite a few times now and to me, this guy has first grader written all over him. That was no different tonight. I can see why people call him a Cam Murray clone as he plays very similar. His tackle technique is so impressive, he was constantly chopping blokes bigger than him down and stopping them in their tracks. With the ball, he was like Cam too. Although he's not the biggest bloke, he seemed to poke his nose through and find his front more often than not. Impressive night and I'm very excited for him.

Karapani had a good night I thought. He's copping a bit of stick for not doing enough rucking it out of our own end and I do agree with that, but the touches he did have were great. Sometimes it's the little things with players that you can tell just have class written all over them and it's like that with Karapani for me. Just the way he moves and what he does, future star I hope.

Moale, Mamouzelos, Lovett and Carr went really well too.

Not so impressed with a guy like Romano Cook. I'm sorry but I just don't rate him at all. Have seen nothing from him in two years and nothing he did tonight changes my opinion. Wayward passes and knock ons galore. It's the same with Shannon Gardiner I reckon. I knew with guys like that on, we were no chance.

Kennar really good with the ball but so bad without it. Terrible defence.

So yea, a good hit out in my opinion. Just a trial of young fullas at the end of the day too, need to remember that.

Thumper

Juniors
I dont know why we persevere with romano cook,useless.
Our defence needs work the edges being our downfall
Cooks service was terrible.
pete was sound. I just do see him being a stand out first grade hooker. Doesn't have speed like cookie. Doesn't seem to have the creative flare either. Time will tell I guess. Also gotta remember none of those outside backs are the top boys. Can't be to critical. I did notice Gagai defends like his brother did. Hopeless.

handyman2190

Bench
Cooks service was terrible.
pete was sound. I just do see him being a stand out first grade hooker. Doesn't have speed like cookie. Doesn't seem to have the creative flare either. Time will tell I guess. Also gotta remember none of those outside backs are the top boys. Can't be to critical. I did notice Gagai defends like his brother did. Hopeless.
Romano cook came on and made all the mistakes he is a liability.
The type of defence were we stack the middle exposes the edges, for it to succeed the players have to be prepared to slide fast and follow the ball,and when they get tired it dosent work, the players need to be trained how to tackle more effectivly 1 on 1 not 3 players cant push 1 player back from the tryline

Thumper

Juniors
Romano cook came on and made all the mistakes he is a liability.
The type of defence were we stack the middle exposes the edges, for it to succeed the players have to be prepared to slide fast and follow the ball,and when they get tired it dosent work, the players need to be trained how to tackle more effectivly 1 on 1 not 3 players cant push 1 player back from the tryline
Like I said. No first graders in the backline. Hardly an indication.

Thumper

Juniors
Its the same defence used in first grade,last years charity shield showed us up
You hang on to things hey. Look how they played for the first 10 rounds last year. Had nothing to do with defensive reads. JD spoke about it a number of times. Said it was the worst pre season he had ever been involved in. Take the trial for what it was. A trial game for mostly reserve graders and a few forwards getting minutes under their belt.

handyman2190

Bench
You hang on to things hey. Look how they played for the first 10 rounds last year. Had nothing to do with defensive reads. JD spoke about it a number of times. Said it was theits worst pre season he had ever been involved in. Take the trial for what it was. A trial game for mostly reserve graders and a few forwards getting minutes under their belt.

You hang on to things hey. Look how they played for the first 10 rounds last year. Had nothing to do with defensive reads. JD spoke about it a number of times. Said it was the worst pre season he had ever been involved in. Take the trial for what it was. A trial game for mostly reserve graders and a few forwards getting minutes under their belt.
Hame injured again,hasnt finished 1 game without being replaced,now thats a problem,he may have talent but he isnt on the field long enough to show it