What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Panthers

I think the winner next year will come from us or Bunnies. Even with Spencer Roosters are one or two forwards short. Broncos will struggle next year as but be back in ‘25.

MugaB

Coach
surely we dont? - if the Broncos have a performance like the first 20 of the second half - do we have enough to cover Critta & Leniu if we are in a similar position?

i'd love 5 personally - because that would give us the final laugh on the #5yearplan
#10 year plan sounds better

age.s

First Grade
Best starting front row. Best half-back. Best Lock. Superstar fullback, winger and back rower. Great players in several other positions. The system. The coach. Big game experience like no other. You'd be mad to not have us in the conversation.

Rumour I heard maybe from RLGuru that Alamoti will be transformed into a second rower/ power forward. He will put some weight on apparently and beef up for it.

Anyone heard anything similar?

Pomoz

Bench
We still don't really know how good this team can be. After the loss of Kikau and Api, we didn't work out our new style until later in the season. We didn't manage to play the full strength team without there being a few key injuries, Tago in particular. We saw flashes of how good Tago can be and his best is as good as Critta. In the GF we didn't see the best of the Panthers because Luai and Tago were not fit and it had a big impact on our performance. That was kind of lost in all the euphoria. The Broncos got close to winning, how close would it have been if Luai and Tago were fit?

We won't really know how good we are until next year. The loss of Critta will be keenly felt. That said, I have confidence that Taylan May will be a very capable replacement. We will miss Spencer but I think we can manage that, although our bench will be weaker.

The real question for me is do we evolve our style again? It may have been accidental, but when Luai was out Cleary went to next level halfback, he literally unlocked "God Mode". The team changed its style and Cleary started to run more and appear both sides of the field. He controlled the game. He was devastating when he did that. When Luai is back, do we change our gameplan and try and free up Cleary more? We operate a two playmakers style at the moment , but what if we gave less ball for Luai and get him to play more direct, Cogger style? He has great ball skills and could evolve his game differently to feed Cleary more and support him.

Having said all that, we have won three premierships with a "two playmaker" style and it has worked well so maybe, it it ain't broke, don't fix it. But teams do work you out eventually and maybe its time to become Panthers mark 2.

Last edited:
What if Luai goes to 7 and Cleary 6. We know Luai can play 7 and we know Cleary can clearly play 6. Does it change the style up drastically? Not really and considering the backline is interchangeable between sides of the field it wouldn’t take long to click. Plus Yeo to Luai first instead of Yeo to Cleary could be something to really upset some of the sides who might figure out Panthers attack eventually. I think as long as they keep their defensive unity together they’ll always challenge for the premiership.

BxTom

Bench
We still don't really know how good this team can be. After the loss of Kikau and Api, we didn't work out our new style until later in the season. We didn't manage to play the full strength team without there being a few key injuries, Tago in particular. We saw flashes of how good Tago can be and his best is as good as Critta. In the GF we didn't see the best of the Panthers because Luai and Tago were not fit and it had a big impact on our performance. That was kind of lost in all the euphoria. The Broncos got close to winning, how close would nit have been if Luai and Tago were fit?

We won't really know how good we are until next year. The loss of Critta will be keenly felt. That said, I have confidence that Taylan May will be a very capable replacement. We will miss Spencer but I think we can manage that, although our bench will be weaker.

The real question for me is do we evolve our style again? It may have been accidental, but when Luai was out Cleary went to next level halfback, he literally unlocked "God Mode". The team changed its style and Cleary started to run more and appear both sides of the field. He controlled the game. He was devastating when he did that. When Luai is back, do we change our gameplan and try and free up Cleary more? We operate a two playmakers style at the moment , but what if we gave less ball for Luai and get him to play more direct, Cogger style? He has great ball skills and could evolve his game differently to feed Cleary more and support him.

Having said all that, we have won three premierships with a "two playmaker" style and it has worked well so maybe, it it ain't broke, don't fix it. But teams do work you out eventually and maybe its time to become Panthers mark 2.
Add the injury to Taylan May and it makes the future look brighter if he comes back well.

Fangs

Coach
What if Luai goes to 7 and Cleary 6. We know Luai can play 7 and we know Cleary can clearly play 6. Does it change the style up drastically? Not really and considering the backline is interchangeable between sides of the field it wouldn’t take long to click. Plus Yeo to Luai first instead of Yeo to Cleary could be something to really upset some of the sides who might figure out Panthers attack eventually. I think as long as they keep their defensive unity together they’ll always challenge for the premiership.

That may happen at rep level. Cleary/DCE have both outplayed Munster this year.

But the number itself is sacred as well. Brandy, Gower and now Cleary. He will want to keep his 7.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Luao can't play 7

Chins get the wins

First Grade
That may happen at rep level. Cleary/DCE have both outplayed Munster this year.

But the number itself is sacred as well. Brandy, Gower and now Cleary. He will want to keep his 7.
The Australian halves should have been Nathan and Mam. Munster was f**king awful this year

MugaB

Coach
The Australian halves should have been Nathan and Mam. Munster was f**king awful this year
Dont need mam, nathan was a 5/8th in the juniors, Luai was the halfback in all those junior grade premierships, if you want Australia to dominate, you put DCE at 7, Nathan at 6...
Its no fluke he has been at 2nd receiver since Luai has been injuired, Cogger is a natural 7, he is wasted at 6, his strengths are guiding the team around, not side stepping and pass selection, nathan is elite at both, its almost like ben hunt rep at hooker