What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Panthers

WestyLife

First Grade
Dont need mam, nathan was a 5/8th in the juniors, Luai was the halfback in all those junior grade premierships, if you want Australia to dominate, you put DCE at 7, Nathan at 6...
Its no fluke he has been at 2nd receiver since Luai has been injuired, Cogger is a natural 7, he is wasted at 6, his strengths are guiding the team around, not side stepping and pass selection, nathan is elite at both, its almost like ben hunt rep at hooker

It's what QLD did with Thurston.

Iamback

Coach
Rumour I heard maybe from RLGuru that Alamoti will be transformed into a second rower/ power forward. He will put some weight on apparently and beef up for it.

Anyone heard anything similar?

Yeah I was told that the day after he signed

Reason I was given was he has poor lateral movement, his speed and power will hurt tired forwards

betcats

Referee
We still don't really know how good this team can be. After the loss of Kikau and Api, we didn't work out our new style until later in the season. We didn't manage to play the full strength team without there being a few key injuries, Tago in particular. We saw flashes of how good Tago can be and his best is as good as Critta. In the GF we didn't see the best of the Panthers because Luai and Tago were not fit and it had a big impact on our performance. That was kind of lost in all the euphoria. The Broncos got close to winning, how close would it have been if Luai and Tago were fit?

We won't really know how good we are until next year. The loss of Critta will be keenly felt. That said, I have confidence that Taylan May will be a very capable replacement. We will miss Spencer but I think we can manage that, although our bench will be weaker.

The real question for me is do we evolve our style again? It may have been accidental, but when Luai was out Cleary went to next level halfback, he literally unlocked "God Mode". The team changed its style and Cleary started to run more and appear both sides of the field. He controlled the game. He was devastating when he did that. When Luai is back, do we change our gameplan and try and free up Cleary more? We operate a two playmakers style at the moment , but what if we gave less ball for Luai and get him to play more direct, Cogger style? He has great ball skills and could evolve his game differently to feed Cleary more and support him.

Having said all that, we have won three premierships with a "two playmaker" style and it has worked well so maybe, it it ain't broke, don't fix it. But teams do work you out eventually and maybe its time to become Panthers mark 2.

Im looking forward to next season. Spine is settled so assuming everyone is fit we should be able to work on the attack a lot more rather than trying to get over the losses of two massive pieces in Api and Kiks. Critta will be replaced by Taylan he will basically slot straight in, besides that the whole will likely be the same.

I agree that the next evolution of the team should be around Cleary and how he plays as well as Luai. Stick with the same basic structure but make it possible for Nathan and Jarome to follow the ball more and switch roles as they see fit. With them doing that at times it will also free up Dylan to play more of a support role rather then being stuck on the right side constantly, i'd love to see dyl running inside Yeo with Fish running outside Yeo on a short ball line and both halves out the back setting up a backline play.

Iamback

Coach
Im looking forward to next season. Spine is settled so assuming everyone is fit we should be able to work on the attack a lot more rather than trying to get over the losses of two massive pieces in Api and Kiks. Critta will be replaced by Taylan he will basically slot straight in, besides that the whole will likely be the same.

I agree that the next evolution of the team should be around Cleary and how he plays as well as Luai. Stick with the same basic structure but make it possible for Nathan and Jarome to follow the ball more and switch roles as they see fit. With them doing that at times it will also free up Dylan to play more of a support role rather then being stuck on the right side constantly, i'd love to see dyl running inside Yeo with Fish running outside Yeo on a short ball line and both halves out the back setting up a backline play.

I think the evolution should come elsewhere, teams know what the halves can do.

Lindsay Smith can ball play use that with the halves off him and Yeo. Gets the halves wider
Maybe Moses off the bench to smash teams late in the halves

age.s

First Grade
Luai just needs to play straighter. This dancing around sideways has always been a tool in his kit but this year it felt like he overused it. Just run hard and straight, engage the line and see what opens up. Appreciate he was hampered by injury towards the end of the year but it was the same issue all season.

Iamback

Coach
Luai just needs to play straighter. This dancing around sideways has always been a tool in his kit but this year it felt like he overused it. Just run hard and straight, engage the line and see what opens up. Appreciate he was hampered by injury towards the end of the year but it was the same issue all season.

That suits how we play though.

We do turn in on the middles all game to wear them out.

Cleary's try v Warriors and his match winner on the weekend was the same, I dare say Laurie in the early rounds next year plays the same

Munky

Coach
Looking forward to seeing how the defensive scheme adjusts between the 30 metre lines next year.

Souths and now the Broncos have found something in the defensive structure that can be exploited in the middle of the field.

Girds89

Bench
We still don't really know how good this team can be. After the loss of Kikau and Api, we didn't work out our new style until later in the season. We didn't manage to play the full strength team without there being a few key injuries, Tago in particular. We saw flashes of how good Tago can be and his best is as good as Critta. In the GF we didn't see the best of the Panthers because Luai and Tago were not fit and it had a big impact on our performance. That was kind of lost in all the euphoria. The Broncos got close to winning, how close would it have been if Luai and Tago were fit?

We won't really know how good we are until next year. The loss of Critta will be keenly felt. That said, I have confidence that Taylan May will be a very capable replacement. We will miss Spencer but I think we can manage that, although our bench will be weaker.

The real question for me is do we evolve our style again? It may have been accidental, but when Luai was out Cleary went to next level halfback, he literally unlocked "God Mode". The team changed its style and Cleary started to run more and appear both sides of the field. He controlled the game. He was devastating when he did that. When Luai is back, do we change our gameplan and try and free up Cleary more? We operate a two playmakers style at the moment , but what if we gave less ball for Luai and get him to play more direct, Cogger style? He has great ball skills and could evolve his game differently to feed Cleary more and support him.

Having said all that, we have won three premierships with a "two playmaker" style and it has worked well so maybe, it it ain't broke, don't fix it. But teams do work you out eventually and maybe its time to become Panthers mark 2.

I said multiple times on here about 6 rounds into the season this year when we were struggling that it would be a good move to get luai into first receiver more and have nath play 2nd out the back both sides of the ruck..

Not all the time but just mix it up..

Not only does it give nath a bit more time and space out back, as the game rolls on you have luai going at tired middles..

The biggest thing for me is luai has to play direct.. stop the hopping and jumping... he had a good back half of the year pre injury were he played more direct and we looked great. But he can get straighter...

People didnt think cogger and nath would work when in reality cogger played super direct and it really held up the defensive line... cogger isnt getting enough credit for what he did this year imo..

Luai has a brilliant running game but at times he can drift a bit to sideways... i thi k the off season goal for him post recovery needs to be really straightening up his attack even more.. will create much more space and time on the edges..

Also would love to see luai bring back his great short kicking game.. hes seemed to put in in the bag the last 2 years..

If luai can striaghten up and play direct he would be one of the best 5/8s in the comp.. he has the speed and elusiveness and hes strong but he attacks across field at half pace and its easy for teams to slide and shut down the space.

Always lots to work on and be better.

Our attack all year had moments of brilliance and than at other times it looked very avg.. if theres something to work on in the off season its that.

Not necessarily changing the play book but just mix things up a bit and try be even more direct..

Its why the broncs and souths can be so dangerous. Mam, and cody really play direct and fast and dig deep into the line before ball playing.. it creates so much space out wide..

Anyway, the best part about this team is you can beat your bottom dollar theyll be working their backside off in the off season to get better.

Iamback

Coach
I said multiple times on here about 6 rounds into the season this year when we were struggling that it would be a good move to get luai into first receiver more and have nath play 2nd out the back both sides of the ruck..

Not all the time but just mix it up..

Not only does it give nath a bit more time and space out back, as the game rolls on you have luai going at tired middles..

The biggest thing for me is luai has to play direct.. stop the hopping and jumping... he had a good back half of the year pre injury were he played more direct and we looked great. But he can get straighter...

People didnt think cogger and nath would work when in reality cogger played super direct and it really held up the defensive line... cogger isnt getting enough credit for what he did this year imo..

Luai has a brilliant running game but at times he can drift a bit to sideways... i thi k the off season goal for him post recovery needs to be really straightening up his attack even more.. will create much more space and time on the edges..

Also would love to see luai bring back his great short kicking game.. hes seemed to put in in the bag the last 2 years..

If luai can striaghten up and play direct he would be one of the best 5/8s in the comp.. he has the speed and elusiveness and hes strong but he attacks across field at half pace and its easy for teams to slide and shut down the space.

Always lots to work on and be better.

Our attack all year had moments of brilliance and than at other times it looked very avg.. if theres something to work on in the off season its that.

Not necessarily changing the play book but just mix things up a bit and try be even more direct..

Its why the broncs and souths can be so dangerous. Mam, and cody really play direct and fast and dig deep into the line before ball playing.. it creates so much space out wide..

Anyway, the best part about this team is you can beat your bottom dollar theyll be working their backside off in the off season to get better.

Other teams don't attack like us. We work the middle it makes sense for the halves, Edwards and co to come back that way

Latest posts