What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Panthers

Iamback

Coach
The new salary cap rules for the supplementary list players seems vague though. Clubs have a supplementary player cap of $650,000, for at least four, maximum six players, that are paid $80,000. Plus a bonus of $3,000 for any NRL game.

So with $80,000 x 4 totaling $320,000 of the $650,000 cap, I assume the $3,000 per game extra they receive for any games played would come out of the remaining $330K supplementary cap, rather than out of the main $11.25 cap?

If so, we could afford to keep Sommerton on the supplementary contract and still be able to afford to pay him $3k a game for the whole season if needed.

That is the confusing part, especially as NSW Cup guys who are promoted comes from it also

Blade23

Juniors
Bugger, genuinely think Sommerton is the second best dummy half option Panthers have. However i can see the positives in keeping him on a developmental deal and having him progress properly.

@Red&BlackBear I gave you the wrong information on when development players could play. For that I apologise. Please see below.

He can play from round 1, as he is on a supplementary list contract.

It is only players that are on train and trial contracts that can't play until round 11.

This is correct.
Previously Development players had to wait till round 11 to play NRL. The times were tinkered over Covid.
Under the new Collective Bargaining agreement. Development players (now called Supplementary players ) can play from round 1.

Trial and Train players can play from round 10. Any earlier the club needs a medical exemption.

The new salary cap rules for the supplementary list players seems vague though. Clubs have a supplementary player cap of $650,000, for at least four, maximum six players, that are paid $80,000. Plus a bonus of $3,000 for any NRL game.

So with $80,000 x 4 totaling $320,000 of the $650,000 cap, I assume the $3,000 per game extra they receive for any games played would come out of the remaining $330K supplementary cap, rather than out of the main $11.25 cap?

If so, we could afford to keep Sommerton on the supplementary contract and still be able to afford to pay him $3k a game for the whole season if needed.

There is a Supplementary List. External from the main salary cap. $650k for players on that list. Maximum of 6 Supplementary Players.
You have Supplementary players on $85k each. Previously 60k.
There are no FG match payments for those players.
The rest of the $650k from the Supplementary List is made up of Trial and Train players. They are paid $1200 a week. If they play FG they are the ones that get paid $3000 a match, from the $650k Supplementary cap.

The NRL is more mindful now about providing multiple paths for players to play FG.
Any players can of course be upgraded to the top 30.

You will run into trouble from a player's manager. If a supplementary player plays more than 6 FG matches. He can rightfully say my client should be on a full time contract. Which is roughly 50k above a supplementary players wage.

Rival clubs can poached Supplementary players after round 6. So that is another factor.

@Red&BlackBear I gave you the wrong information on when development players could play. For that I apologise. Please see below.

This is correct.
Previously Development players had to wait till round 11 to play NRL. The times were tinkered over Covid.
Under the new Collective Bargaining agreement. Development players (now called Supplementary players ) can play from round 1.

Trial and Train players can play from round 10. Any earlier the club needs a medical exemption.

There is a Supplementary List. External from the main salary cap. $650k for players on that list. Maximum of 6 Supplementary Players.
The rest of the $650k from the Supplementary List is made up of Trial and Train players. They are paid $1200 a week. If they play FG they are the ones that get paid $3000 a match, from the $650k Supplementary cap.

The NRL is more mindful now about providing multiple paths for players to play FG.

You will run into trouble from a player's manager. If a supplementary player plays more than 6 FG matches. He can rightfully say my client should be on a full time contract. Which is roughly 50k above a supplementary players wage.
Rival clubs can poached Supplementary players after round 6. So that is another factor.
Good news then, although I’m still inclined to develop him through 60-80mins of cup for a few early rounds to get game fitness and awareness into his legs prior to throwing him on the bench in FG. Although equally not opposed if he does start round 1 FG in 14 either.

Positives for both arguments here.

Iamback

Coach
Good news then, although I’m still inclined to develop him through 60-80mins of cup for a few early rounds to get game fitness and awareness into his legs prior to throwing him on the bench in FG. Although equally not opposed if he does start round 1 FG in 14 either.

Positives for both arguments here.

Depends what trials we play, The fringe/NSW Cup should have a couple the WCC wouldn't be the only one.

We look to have a very uninspiring bench, I'd rather risk a couple of guys that train well

hindy111

Post Whore
Where do people see Maverick Geyers potential? He isn't that young anymore.

And also Jet Cleary? Or to early on that one?
I've heard a few say he isn't Nathans class but tbf 99.9% won't be.

Iamback

Coach
Where do people see Maverick Geyers potential? He isn't that young anymore.

And also Jet Cleary? Or to early on that one?
I've heard a few say he isn't Nathans class but tbf 99.9% won't be.

Jett didn't look anything special on the weekend

Whino

Bench
The National Rugby League (NRL) today issued Penrith Panthers player Mitch Kenny with a Breach Notice alleging a breach of the NRL Code of Conduct following an NRL Integrity Unit investigation into a social media post in December, 2023.
It is alleged Kenny engaged in conduct which has brought the game and his Club into disrepute.
Kenny has 5 business days to respond to the Breach Notice.

murraymob

Coach

This is correct.

I am on that list Blade the bourbon supplementary list .Ready to go my friend Kenny gets suspended passport ready

snickers007

Juniors
I thought the breach notices normally included the proposed punishment...

Either way, the Val Holmes incident was worse, and he only copped $20k fine, and one match ban.
Can't see Kenny getting worse than that.

Just plead guilty and move on.