What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Panthers

Girds89

Bench
The myth that Peach covers anywhere other than centre/backrow really needs to die. He shouldn't be considered

I dont think he covers everywhere well....

But he covers everywhere better than cole, schnieder, laurie, sommerton, luke does....

Peachy at a pinch can play 9, 11, 12, 13, 6, 3, 4

Not saying he does that great in any position but he covers a lot more than the rest can...

He wouldnt be in my top 17 but your being a bit harsh there.

Peach has the odd mistake in his game but hes always given his all when his put on a panthers jersey.

I think our team basically picks itself with maybe one or two options

1. Edwards
2. Too
3. May/ Alamoti/mclean... (whoever looks best in pre season)
4. Tago
5. Turuva
6. Luai
7. Cleary
8. Leota
9. Kenny
10. Fish
11. Soro
12. Marto
13. Yeo

14. Sommerton/luke/cole/peachy/laurie
15. Smith
16. Henry
17. Garner/geyer/lisati

Only spots in question are ones with multiple names next to it imo.

Maybe just maybe ivan might do something weird and start eiso and push leota to the bench to replace leniu... but i cant see it.

I think henry and smith will get the first nod on the bench and theyll be given the first 5 or 6 weeks to see how they can handle the middle together when leota and fish are off.

Chins get the wins

First Grade

But he covers everywhere better than cole, schnieder, laurie, sommerton, luke does....

Not saying he does that great in any position but he covers a lot more than the rest can...

Peach has the odd mistake in his game but hes always given his all when his put on a panthers jersey.

1. Edwards
2. Too
4. Tago
5. Turuva
6. Luai
7. Cleary
8. Leota
9. Kenny
10. Fish
11. Soro
12. Marto
13. Yeo

15. Smith
16. Henry
17. Garner/geyer/lisati

Maybe just maybe ivan might do something weird and start eiso and push leota to the bench to replace leniu... but i cant see it.

I think henry and smith will get the first nod on the bench and theyll be given the first 5 or 6 weeks to see how they can handle the middle together when leota and fish are off.
Never EVER want to see him at 9 again. Peach far exceeded all our expectations last year and went well at centre but hope it takes 2 or 3 injuries in the backs to see him play grade in 2024. We have so many young guys who we need to test.

Missus met him with the our 2 sons over Christmas and said he was a great bloke. I'm happy he got a ring

It’ll be a fine balancing act, you would expect Sommerton to try get as many reps in his legs just incase Kenny goes down. But you also need to properly blood Cole. There’s a few spots that might look different from early rounds to late rounds, even without injuries or suspensions playing a part.

Must admit though, I am torn on the 14. Cole, Sommerton & Laurie I’d imagine are top 3 choices. Schneider is O’Sullivan/Cogger mach 3 and he much like Cogger at the back end of 23 could be incredibly useful off the bench. I strongly believe he has a much higher ceiling than the 2 previous blokes signed to do the same role.

Luke has all the ingredients but I honestly think Sommerton showed more in that Cowboys game than Luke did in 4-5 combined games prior. The cohesiveness was never really there between him Luai and Cleary. Plus Luke body doesn’t fill me with confidence. He also has a smidge of grub to him.

I also now think that 17 jersey could be a floating one too. Between Garner, Geyer, Lisati and Alamoti the forward (not the back) but still believe Ivan will occasionally look at Peach depending who opposition of the round is.

I think round 1-5 is probably filled with safe spots to accumulate points quickly and have security on the ladder in hand. But origin time is when Ivan will shake things up a bit and experiment (again depending on opposition).

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Hi all, who gets the 14 jersey?

Will it be evenly shared between Peachy, Sommerton, Laurie, Luke, Schneider, Cole?

Or do you think Peachy might jag the 17 jersey and the other 5 men alternate based on form and opposition for the 14 jersey?

14. Peachy
15. Garner/Sorensen (one starts one bench)
16. Smith
17. Henry

18. Cole

or

14. Sommerton
15. Garner/Sorensen (one starts one bench)
16. Smith
17. Peachy

18. Cole

or

14. Luke
15. Garner/Sorenson (one starts one bench)
16. Henry
17. Smith

18. Peachy

or

14. Laurie
15. Garner/Sorenson (one starts one bench)
16. Smith
17. Henry

18. Peachy

How’s your preferred bench makeup looking?
14.Sommo
15.Smith
16.Henry
17.Garner

IMO. Barring injury, that should be our bench round 1.

maple_69

Bench
I ageee that looks our best bench set up currently, however, isn’t Sommerton on a development deal meaning he can’t play until R11? Unless the club gives him Hosking’s spot which wouldn’t be a bad option.

Sommerton Re-Signs

Iamback

Coach

1. Edwards
2. Too
4. Tago
5. Turuva
6. Luai
7. Cleary
8. Leota
9. Kenny
10. Fish
11. Soro
12. Marto
13. Yeo

15. Smith
16. Henry
17. Garner/geyer/lisati

I'd only have Smith locked in for the bench

MugaB

Coach
It’ll be a fine balancing act, you would expect Sommerton to try get as many reps in his legs just incase Kenny goes down. But you also need to properly blood Cole. There’s a few spots that might look different from early rounds to late rounds, even without injuries or suspensions playing a part.

Must admit though, I am torn on the 14. Cole, Sommerton & Laurie I’d imagine are top 3 choices. Schneider is O’Sullivan/Cogger mach 3 and he much like Cogger at the back end of 23 could be incredibly useful off the bench. I strongly believe he has a much higher ceiling than the 2 previous blokes signed to do the same role.

Luke has all the ingredients but I honestly think Sommerton showed more in that Cowboys game than Luke did in 4-5 combined games prior. The cohesiveness was never really there between him Luai and Cleary. Plus Luke body doesn’t fill me with confidence. He also has a smidge of grub to him.

I also now think that 17 jersey could be a floating one too. Between Garner, Geyer, Lisati and Alamoti the forward (not the back) but still believe Ivan will occasionally look at Peach depending who opposition of the round is.

I think round 1-5 is probably filled with safe spots to accumulate points quickly and have security on the ladder in hand. But origin time is when Ivan will shake things up a bit and experiment (again depending on opposition).
Agreed on the 14, i reckon laurie is a lock on that, as for the replacement half its schnieder all the way, with cole subbing in if both our starting halves are away or injured, as for sommerton, need to ensure he gets used very frequently if he is on the bench, maybe just needs more nsw cup starting at hooker

Blade23

Juniors
I ageee that looks our best bench set up currently, however, isn’t Sommerton on a development deal meaning he can’t play until R11? Unless the club gives him Hosking’s spot which wouldn’t be a bad option.

Sommerton Re-Signs

Correct. Dev deal players, now called supplementary players can't play till rd 11. Unless injuries and/or suspensions happen.

Usually clubs only have 2 hookers in the top 30. Not 3.
Due to NRL rules. Once one of the hookers goes down injured you have to have 2 fit hookers in your top 30 to select. Clubs often have a hooker as a dev player as backup.
A utility can be deemed a hooker option. Depending on their positionsl history.
The only reason to have 3 hookers in your top 30 is to stop other clubs from signing promising Dev players.
Dev players can be poached from round 6 onwards.

Bob

Juniors

NRL 2024: Jarome Luai opens up on future Penrith Panthers’ replacement five-eighth options​

Jarome Luai hasn’t given up on playing in next month’s World Club Challenge, but his absence could signal who Penrith have in mind to replace their star five-eighth in 2025.

Matt Encarnacion

2 min read
January 19, 2024 - 4:00PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...e70ce836602ac8bd1425d4bb63a5a?amp#share-tools
Media-link

Penrith Panthers star Jarome Luai has confirmed his move to the West Tigers on a mega five-year contract.
Outgoing Penrith star Jarome Luai is adamant the club can continue to trust its pathways system and look inward to find his long-term replacement at five-eighth.

In a wide-ranging interview while visiting Cobham Youth Justice Centre this week, Luai opened up on his relationship with coach Ivan Cleary and winning back his Origin jersey.
He also hasn’t given up on playing in next month’s World Club Challenge in England.
The Wests Tigers-bound five-eighth has just passed the 12-week mark post-surgery on the left shoulder injury that forced him off the field in last year’s dramatic grand final win.
Penrith have all but ruled out Luai out of the game against Wigan on February 24, however the stubborn playmaker has vowed to make the most of his final year at his home club.
Jarome Luai hasn’t given up hope of playing in the World Club Challenge, but his absence could reveal the favourite to replace him in 2025. Picture: David Swift

Jarome Luai hasn’t given up hope of playing in the World Club Challenge, but his absence could reveal the favourite to replace him in 2025. Picture: David Swift
“It’s feeling good right now. I’m doing more team stuff. The last hurdle is contact,” he said.
“You know me, I was always going to be pushing for World Club Challenge. I don’t think it’s out of the question yet. I’m saying yes, I’ll always back myself and what I can do.
“It’s 4-5 weeks away. For me, that’s plenty of time.”
His absence could signal the future for the three-time premiership-winners.
Coach Ivan Cleary will then have to decide on whether returning junior Daine Laurie, new signing Brad Schneider, or promising talent Jack Cole will wear the No.6 next month.
It will be the start of a year-long audition to be Nathan Cleary’s halves partner from next year onwards, although the club could opt to go to market to spend their money.
But, after unconventionally announcing his big-money move to the Tigers earlier this month, Luai doesn’t think they'll have to.
The battle to replace Luai in 2025 could be a three horse race, with Daine Laurie, Jack Cole and Brad Schneider all waiting in the wings.

The battle to replace Luai in 2025 could be a three horse race, with Daine Laurie, Jack Cole and Brad Schneider all waiting in the wings.
“They’re all guns, man. They’re all training really well,” he said of their depth.
“Good luck to coach, but personally I don’t think they need to shop around for anyone else.
“Where I can mentor or help them through the year, if they’ve got any questions for me, I’m definitely the first one to put my hand up.”
Luai said he and Laurie had similar playing styles.
“It’s good to see him back, he’s a massive part of the group,” he said.
“He’s got that character where you can sort of always hear him. He’s like me, a bit.”
Luai was emotional when he fronted his teammates late last year to inform them of his decision to leave the club before officially committing to the Tigers.
But the more difficult conversation was with his long-time halves partner in Nathan, and his dad Ivan, who have been a part of Luai’s career since his debut in 2018.
Luai admits returning Panther Laurie has a similar playing style to him and could be the most like for like replacement. Picture: Getty Images

Luai admits returning Panther Laurie has a similar playing style to him and could be the most like for like replacement. Picture: Getty Images
“There were no tears, and we were in discussion about it beforehand anyway,” he said.
“It was a tough thing to do, but I just wanted it to be over and dealt with before I came back just to give them the courtesy and respect that I’m all about this year.”

While focused on the dream farewell of a fourpeat, Luai also has his eye on reclaiming his Origin jersey after his ruthless axing last year.
After appearing in the series’ opening two losses, then-coach Brad Fittler dropped Luai in favour of Cody Walker, who helped NSW avoid a clean sweep in the dead rubber.
“It’s definitely on my goals list. I love the Blues. I want to represent them and consistently win in that jersey,” he said.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Correct. Dev deal players, now called supplementary players can't play till rd 11. Unless injuries and/or suspensions happen.

Due to NRL rules. Once one of the hookers goes down injured you have to have 2 fit hookers in your top 30 to select. Clubs often have a hooker as a dev player as backup.
The only reason to have 3 hookers in your top 30 is to stop other clubs from signing promising Dev players.
Complicated nonsense. Just allow anyone at the club to play 1st grade. It's so blood simple

Bugger, genuinely think Sommerton is the second best dummy half option Panthers have. However i can see the positives in keeping him on a developmental deal and having him progress properly.

Iamback

Coach
Bugger, genuinely think Sommerton is the second best dummy half option Panthers have. However i can see the positives in keeping him on a developmental deal and having him progress properly.

Running 2 hookers doesn't work usually anyway it leaves you short if injuries hit

Latest posts