What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Rabbitohs Las Vegas

Travitoh

First Grade

Lol at Seibold. We are seriously living in his head rent free ahahaha.
It wouldn't surprise me if it's an attempt to create some drama in the US media at the request of PVL. The yanks love that stuff

callmack1

Staff member

First couple of Vegas blogs are up, bit of behind the scenes stuff!

Onya JD!! Get into him!!

callmack1

Staff member
From the Daily Telegraph,

Souths take steps to make Bunnies the happiest players on Earth

San Diego: South Sydney officials have granted their players permission to visit Disneyland on their day off if they adhere to one condition: they hire a mobility scooter.

The Rabbitohs will be rolling around the happiest place on Earth over the next few days as they continue their preparations for the historic season-opening double header in Las Vegas next week.

Veteran hooker Damien Cook on Thursday left the team’s camp in San Diego following their training session at the local college to reunite with his family in Los Angeles on a 24-hour hit-and-run mission to Disneyland.

The Rabbitohs estimate Cook would get through close to 20,000 steps at the amusement park with his wife Courtney and kids Willow and Jagger, and don’t want him on his feet that much just over a week out from the first game of the season.

He has agreed to arrive at Disneyland before the queues to hire an electric conveyance vehicle (ECV), to help him manage the workload.

“Cooky has just come back from a bit of a soft tissue injury, so it’s important for him in particular,” Rabbitohs high-performance manager Andrew Croll told the Herald.

“The boys actually came to us with the solution of hiring scooters and carts, which is a positive for us. The alternative was to not go, so they met us half way.

“On a typical day the guys will get their 10,000 steps, but if you’re out there at an amusement park you’ll get through 20,000 steps and picking up an additional eight to 10 kilometres on their legs. We’re trying to use the days off to freshen them up because we’re trying to peak for round one.

“Now it’s about getting their training loads in and getting off their legs on days off. We’ve put a few requirements on the blokes who are out there with their families. We want them to enjoy their time, but within reason.”

Cook will spend a night with his family in Anaheim before returning to training late Thursday night ahead of the team’s training session on Friday.

Sean Keppie and Keaon Koloamatangi, as well as assistant coach Ben Hornby, will go to Disneyland with their families over the weekend. The players have also agreed to hire the ECVs.

Cook knows that the experience is something that he needs to be mindful of for next Sunday’s (AEDT) game against Manly.

“I’ve got a one-year-old son that I will probably have to take back up to the room to have a nap at some point, too,” Cook said.

“So I’ll definitely be looking to get the scooter around. I will be there nice and early so hopefully I can get the rest in the legs. You don’t want to be doing too much walking.

“There’s a balance you have to find.

“It’s cool we’re over here to do a bit of sightseeing but you have to try and limit that and keep it as normal as you normally would at home.”

callmack1

Staff member
Demetriou returns serve at Seibs
South Sydney coach Jason Demetriou has responded to Manly coach Anthony Seibold’s rant about the Rabbitohs not doing enough to promote the game in Las Vegas.

Demetriou laughed off an attack from Seibold at Sydney airport before his team boarded the flight to Las Vegas, with the Sea Eagles coach criticising his old club for basing themselves in San Diego instead of in Las Vegas like Manly.

Seibold’s swipe at former club ahead of Vegas

Sea Eagles coach Anthony Seibold has taken a swipe at the Rabbitohs ahead of their Las Vegas season opener.

Seibold claimed Manly had been left to do the promotional heavy lifting as the only club to be based in Sin City ahead of the double header at Allegiant Stadium.

The Rabbitohs don’t arrive into Las Vegas until next Wednesday – three days before the match – with the Manly mentor saying: “It’d be nice if the Bunnies came and promoted the game in Las Vegas”.

Seibold was responding to comments from Demetriou, who said he would leave money behind the bar for Manly in Las Vegas.

“It was a comment I made to a ridiculous question about the players going out,” Demetriou said after training on Wednesday.

“It couldn’t have been more tongue-in-cheek. In terms of promoting the game, our club was the first to put its hand over to come over here so it shows how committed we are to the game. We’re promoting it to America. It’s actually good the clubs have spread themselves over different areas.

“I just think sometimes you get asked questions and you’re not sure of the context or where the question is coming from. I think that’s a bit about it. But it couldn’t have been more tongue in cheek. I couldn’t even believe I was being asked the question about players going out. Anyone who knows me knows I’m not putting money over the bar.”

Seibold also claimed that one of the reasons Manly was going 11 days early was to “promote the game” and media were “more than welcome to all of our sessions.”

This contradicts the club’s media schedule, which provides no access between the club’s arrival in Las Vegas on Wednesday morning until Monday.

In South Sydney’s first few days in San Diego, they’ve made the coach and multiple players available. Media were also invited onto the team bus for a press opportunity with the US Navy.

Nine News reporter and Sun-Herald columnist Danny Weidler managed to get on the bus despite being hit by a Latrell Mitchell conversion attempt at training, much to the delight of onlookers.

NRL does NBA
The NRL is taking over the NBA over the next week with dozens of players securing tickets for matches in Los Angeles.

The Rabbitohs players are hopping on a bus to make the two-hour trek from their San Diego base to watch LeBron James’ Lakers in action against rookie sensation Victor Wembanyama and the San Antonio Spurs.

Some of the Sydney Roosters, who arrived in Los Angeles on Wednesday morning, will also be at that game but the majority of the team is locked in to watch the Los Angeles Clippers against the Sacramento Kings on Sunday night.

Souths spread the love
The Rabbitohs have invited the local San Diego rugby league team, the Barracudas, to their training session on Friday.

The Barracudas have an amateur men’s and women’s team and are founding members of the Pacific Coast Rugby League competition that launched last year.

The 2023 competition included eight teams, with the competition set to expand in 2024 with the introduction of the West LA Jackrabbits and the Sacramento Immortals.

The Rabbitohs have invited the Barracudas to watch them train on Friday and will gift the club their training gear and equipment once they finish their pre-Vegas camp next week.

San Diego also plays home to a professional rugby union team, the San Diego Legion. It’s the home of former Wallabies star Matt Giteau and ex-All Blacks sensation Ma’a Nonu, who will both play in this year’s Major League Rugby competition.

Members of the Legion coaching staff have also requested to come and watch South Sydney’s training session on Friday. It remains unclear if Giteau or Nonu will also come along to the Bunnies’ training session at Triton Soccer Stadium at UC San Diego.

callmack1

Staff member
A vlog of the first training session in the US, very cool!

Woahhhh that's actually quite a big deal!!

callmack1

Staff member
Another Vlog is up,

callmack1

Staff member