What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Rabbitohs Round 3 - Vs Roosters

Hellray

Juniors
Nobody has hailed Dean Hawkins as a messiah or anything particularly special. Why make a big deal about it? However, he may provide two key ingredients the squad is severely parched in: 1. A far better kicking game & 2. A smoother attacking unit. Leaving Walker with ilias together will simply place an anchor around the squad's throat. Let Hawkins and Jack W dominate the kicking game and end Walker's marsh mallow punts that only help every opponent. Plus Demetriou has to make changes because his tenure as a Head Coach is likely nearing an abrupt end.
Hawkins did win a season or so ago starting as #7 against I believe Parramatta in their house [26-0?] and he is a more seasoned player now. I say he is well worth a gamble.
I’m sorry have you not seen the countless responses in 4 different threads from the new comers all pushing for Hawkins, Hawkins, Hawkins? It’s almost like it’s Dena’s dad himself trying to vent his frustrations from his son not getting picked.

I have no issue with Ilias getting dropped for him. But Ilias should not be the only scape goat to why we have started 0-2. There are much more high profiles players that should be getting mentioned and looked at for a stint in reserve grade.

I have to say that with the high possibility of Keary being missing for Easts this Friday, I gave a us a great chance of victory, especially with Jack playing his first game. But with this dreadful announcement of Hawkins playing I now think we wont win. Hawkins wouldn't tackle Mary Poppins and he has failed plenty of times in first grade, this is why he has often been shunned. He's very ordinary.

Ilias is light years ahead of him as a footballer and this is a panic measure from the coach as he sweats a little with two straight losses.

But we both agree on Gray, who's a beauty.
If it was me I'd always have jack @#6 and cody @#7 thats my ideal 6+7....but maybe just maybe they will test hawkins till jack becomes our permanent #6 i hope so because this is what it should be no iffs or maybes jack won a dally m @#6. Remember this dudmetriou?

Thadius

Juniors
Attention!

Attention! Hawkins has started several times of late, in badly depleted squads I note against Canterbury and St George, as a #6 NOT a #7. He did start as a #7 a season or so ago against Parramatta in their house and the team won easily.

News Flash!

Whether you play 5/8 or half, you still must have a semblance of an idea about tackling, no question. Hawkins wouldn't tackle a baked dinner and he reminds me very much of Chrissy Sandow's defence and I am sure others on here remember that, even if they prefer not to.

Oh...and that Parra game, yeah I know the one well, where Murray & Walker dominated nicely off Cookie's scoots out of dummy half. Hawkins was along for the ride and was adequate at best. But I sure do remember all his myriad other shockers in first grade.

He's reggies at best.

News Flash!

Whether you play 5/8 or half, you still must have a semblance of an idea about tackling, no question. Hawkins wouldn't tackle a baked dinner and he reminds me very much of Chrissy Sandow's defence and I am sure others on here remember that, even if they prefer not to.

Oh...and that Parra game, yeah I know the one well, where Murray & Walker dominated nicely off Cookie's scoots out of dummy half. Hawkins was along for the ride and was adequate at best. But I sure do remember all his myriad other shockers in first grade.

He's reggies at best.

So the bottom line is we have 2 Reggie's because I definitely rate ilias a reggie.The right thing to do is put wighton at #6 well I reckon dudmetriou is a reggies coach by not putting wighton @#6 for Friday nights game.

Exactly watch everyone turn on their messiah Dean Hawkins after he misses 6 tackles this weekend.
and again everyone will call for mass changes

I'm confident in hawkins till Jack becomes #6 and cody becomes #7 its inevitable im sure if bennett was at souths jack would be playing five-eight on fri night lets see what progresses im all for hawkins because ilias adds absolutely nothing zero zilch nil I look forward seeing dean hawkins kick 4 or 5 goals on fri night something ilias lacks as a half back..

Hellray

Juniors
I'm confident in hawkins till Jack becomes #6 and cody becomes #7 its inevitable im sure if bennett was at souths jack would be playing five-eight on fri night lets see what progresses im all for hawkins because ilias adds absolutely nothing zero zilch nil I look forward seeing dean hawkins kick 4 or 5 goals on fri night something ilias lacks as a half back..
Mitchell will still kick the goals buddy. Hawkins ain’t doing nothing different to ilias on the field apart from miss more tackles.
Happy to be proven wrong though

Thumper

Juniors
For a fan your knowledge and sense for what’s happening isn’t great. Hawkins won’t kick goals.

Thadius

Juniors
So the bottom line is we have 2 Reggie's because I definitely rate ilias a reggie.The right thing to do is put wighton at #6 well I reckon dudmetriou is a reggies coach by not putting wighton @#6 for Friday nights game.

You sound like a young person and that is fair enough if that is the case.

Just watched NRL 360 now and love Kent or hate him, he nailed it and both he and Tallis said Lachlan was the scapegoat, which he is.

There are way more high profiled players in that side that are merely phoning in performances and not bending their backs.

Sure, if you want to drop Ilias that’s fine, but to replace him with a far inferior player smacks of JD getting nervous about his position.

I also saw Hawkins against Blacktown last week and yes, he was average.

The problems go much deeper than sacking a halfback that tries his best and then gets replaced by a bloke who wouldn’t tie his bootlaces.

If Lachlan cannot handle it at half then it has to be Gray or buy another, but it aint Hawkins.

Hellray

Juniors

Just watched NRL 360 now and love Kent or hate him, he nailed it and both he and Tallis said Lachlan was the scapegoat, which he is.

There are way more high profiled players in that side that are merely phoning in performances and not bending their backs.

Sure, if you want to drop Ilias that’s fine, but to replace him with a far inferior player smacks of JD getting nervous about his position.

The problems go much deeper than sacking a halfback that tries his best and then gets replaced by a bloke who wouldn’t tie his bootlaces.

If Lachlan cannot handle it at half then it has to be Gray or buy another, but it aint Hawkins.
Exactly. A replacing a halfback alone doesn’t fix the problems at south’s.

a halfback will not fix our defensive problems
A halfback won’t fix the forwards playing like cream puffs and losing the metre battle every game.
A halfback with little experience will definitely not help control the very lazy egos that seem to dominate the rest of our leadership group that don’t seem to be putting in 100%

Bobby Moses

Juniors
Exactly. A replacing a halfback alone doesn’t fix the problems at south’s.

a halfback will not fix our defensive problems
A halfback won’t fix the forwards playing like cream puffs and losing the metre battle every game.
A halfback with little experience will definitely not help control the very lazy egos that seem to dominate the rest of our leadership group that don’t seem to be putting in 100%
My concern is in every game played without Illias’ a defence the score would have been higher. No halfback is going to go well if your forwards are continually dominated and you a have a centre and a winger who are slower than most props.

It can only be this way - wighton 6 cody 7 and keep jye gray as a halves back up its simple but for souths its difficult as witnessed since adam reynolds left souths!!

callmack1

Staff member

Jeez everyone is really coming at us this week. How good would it be to shut them all up on Friday night...