What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Rabbitohs Rumors, Signings and News

callmack1

Staff member

I'm terribly sad reading this and hearing the news. Tom is an absolute modern-day legend of this club, and some would argue he actually had a better career than his brothers. A premiership winner, 11 Seasons at Souths, he'll most likely become our second most capped player of all time, one of the best forwards in the game, a leader. He has become engrained in this club, and he still will be a long time after he's gone. That is legendary status so hearing that he's leaving is awfully sad.

It's not only the status we lose, but his on-field work is second to none at this club. He is still our best prop, and I don't think there's any doubt about it that when he's not playing, we struggle through the middle quite significantly. That's going to be very hard to replace.

It's certainly bittersweet. So sad, but I'm happy for him too to go over to England. The writing has been on the wall ever since he signed the one-year extension last year. We all knew this was inevitable unfortunately. I do find it a little strange he isn't going to Warrington to play under Sam though.

Right, this is as big as Sam announcing he was leaving in 2014 now. It really is. This is now the ultimate motivator to win the comp this year and I hope we use it as a big reason to drive us, just like we did in 2014 with Sam. Sending him out a winner would be the ultimate fairytale and we can do it!!! We as fans all feel it, Tom will feel it, and I'm sure all the players and staff at the club will too.

The end of an era for sure as this marks the end of the Burgess era, one of the club's greatest eras that we have all been lucky enough to witness. It's sad.

He's not done yet though! Still one more year. Let's go Tommy!!!

handyman2190

Bench

I'm terribly sad reading this and hearing the news. Tom is an absolute modern-day legend of this club, and some would argue he actually had a better career than his brothers. A premiership winner, 11 Seasons at Souths, he'll most likely become our second most capped player of all time, one of the best forwards in the game, a leader. He has become engrained in this club, and he still will be a long time after he's gone. That is legendary status so hearing that he's leaving is awfully sad.

It's not only the status we lose, but his on-field work is second to none at this club. He is still our best prop, and I don't think there's any doubt about it that when he's not playing, we struggle through the middle quite significantly. That's going to be very hard to replace.

It's certainly bittersweet. So sad, but I'm happy for him too to go over to England. The writing has been on the wall ever since he signed the one-year extension last year. We all knew this was inevitable unfortunately. I do find it a little strange he isn't going to Warrington to play under Sam though.

Right, this is as big as Sam announcing he was leaving in 2014 now. It really is. This is now the ultimate motivator to win the comp this year and I hope we use it as a big reason to drive us, just like we did in 2014 with Sam. Sending him out a winner would be the ultimate fairytale and we can do it!!! We as fans all feel it, Tom will feel it, and I'm sure all the players and staff at the club will too.

The end of an era for sure as this marks the end of the Burgess era, one of the club's greatest eras that we have all been lucky enough to witness. It's sad.

He's not done yet though! Still one more year. Let's go Tommy!!!
I fully agree with your words, it will be sad and a big loss which we will have dificulty replacing

Rabbits20

Immortal

When I read that news this morning I felt quite emotional and somewhat shattered you guys know how much I love Tom one of my favourites. It is sad but let’s make his last season one to remember!

That last regular season home game against the Rorters will be very emotional Tom last regular season home game I won’t miss it for anything I will be there as he runs on to give him a massive standing ovation!!

So it will be the end of the Burgess era for on field.

I’ll never forget Toms efforts over the last 12 seasons the amount of times he got me out of my seat I’m sure he will again this year too. He will forever be in our folklore for the 2014 premiership too!

I’m sure he will give it everything he has in him as he always does in 2024 before he leaves

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Obviously I'm not on the inside, and can't know the full info, but I'm putting a point out there:
We sacked our medical staff at the end of last season, hired a new team, and the first major decision/diagnosis they had to make - looks like they got it wrong. And now Campbell basically misses the whole season.

It's not like they didn't know Campbell was chronically injured, and half broken

Sam gone, GI working with the Tigers, now this?
It ain't instilling a lot of confidence in the operation of the Club.....

doyen

Bench
Obviously I'm not on the inside, and can't know the full info, but I'm putting a point out there:
We sacked our medical staff at the end of last season, hired a new team, and the first major decision/diagnosis they had to make - looks like they got it wrong. And now Campbell basically misses the whole season.

It's not like they didn't know Campbell was chronically injured, and half broken

Sam gone, GI working with the Tigers, now this?
It ain't instilling a lot of confidence in the operation of the Club.....
Botany born & bred---me too---Brighton St,Botany & Banksmeadow Primary School !!

doyen

Bench
I was on the other side of the Kellogs tracks, just over, it used to be called East Botany back in the day.....
I was born in 1944 so go back a long way--turned 80 on 6th JAN.--Botany/Banksmeadow unrecognisable to me these days---I left Botany in 1964---I've seen all of Sths big moments since 1955---I was at that GF win as an 11 yr old in '55 !! I live in Bathurst now!!

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
I was born in 1944 so go back a long way--turned 80 on 6th JAN.--Botany/Banksmeadow unrecognisable to me these days---I left Botany in 1964---I've seen all of Sths big moments since 1955---I was at that GF win as an 11 yr old in '55 !! I live in Bathurst now!!
Dang, you left before I was born!
My Grandparents, Dad's side, lived in Swimbourne st from 1952, until they passed away at the end of the 80s. They lived a couple of doors away from John Berne, the Irish guy that played for Souths in the 70s
I grew up with them, and uncles and cousins that lived on the other side of the tracks in Banksia, Dudley, and Cowper streets.
Was a childhood and school friend of Stephen Fenech, brother of Mario, they used to live at the end of Banksia before the division by the tracks, before the family moved to Storey St. My brother was in the same year at school as Mark Ellison.
I knew Ian Roberts, who lived 2 blocks behind Swimbourne, he was a friendly guy, and ran into Steve Mavin a few times on the 310 bus to school.
My mates and I used to walk down Banksia to Botany rd and catch the bus to Redfern oval to see all those great games, by the greatest side never to win the comp 86-89.
But my dreams came true when I was at the GF in 2014.
My dad used to absolutely rave about those 50s sides and Clive Churchill.
Take care brother!

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
And yeah, not only Botany/Banksmeadow unrecognizable, Pagewood even more so, it's pretty f...ing sad actually