What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Roster: Gains & Losses

One Warrior

Bench
SJ announces his retirement at the end of the season, I personally have very mixed feelings, my favourite player, but I believe it was time:

End of an era: Johnson to retire​

One New Zealand Warriors halfback Shaun Johnson has called time on his 14-season NRL career, announcing he’ll retire at the end of the season.
Johnson, who’ll turn 34 next month, informed his teammates of his decision earlier today before confirming it publicly tonight.
“This is a decision that I’ve sat with for a while now and one I’m probably still coming to terms with,” Johnson said when speaking with his teammates.

“It’s obviously still very raw but I’m so grateful to the club and to you boys who I get to come into work with every day with a smile on face. I have never taken any of it for granted.
“The job (this season) is not over so, let’s rip in and get back to doing what we do but I just wanted to let you all know first that at the end of the season, that will be me (done).”
This is a decision that I’ve sat with for a while now and one I’m probably still coming to terms with
Shaun JohnsonOne New Zealand Warriors halfback
Johnson, who has been hampered by a chronic Achilles injury this season, returned from a six-week layoff to make his 265th career appearance - his 221st for the Warriors - in Friday night’s 20-30 loss to the Eels.
“There’s an entire generation of kids in this country who picked up a rugby league ball because of Shaun Johnson,” said One New Zealand Warriors CEO Cameron George.
“His impact on not only this club but also rugby league is New Zealand is something that will be remembered here forever.
“And as talented and amazing as Shaun has been as a player, as a person he’s made just as big an impact here at the Warriors through the years.
His impact on not only this club but also rugby league is New Zealand is something that will be remembered here forever
Cameron GeorgeOne New Zealand Warriors CEO
“I know Shaun hasn’t made this decision lightly and he will depart with the full support of the club and his peers.
“Our last home game of the season against the Bulldogs, another sell-out, will be a fitting farewell for him here at Go Media Stadium.
“We appreciate all that Shaun has done for the club and wish him and his family all the best in the future.”

Johnson sits fourth on the list of all-time appearances for the Warriors behind Simon Mannering (301), Stacey Jones (261) and Manu Vatuvei (226).
“Shaun has been exceptional for both our club and for the game for so many years,” said One New Zealand Warriors head coach Andrew Webster.
“It’s been a pleasure working with him at two different stages of his career here. He’s a rare talent who will leave an unbelievable legacy.
It’s been a pleasure working with him at two different stages of his career here. He’s a rare talent who will leave an unbelievable legacy
Andrew WebsterOne New Zealand Warriors head coach
“But, as he says, it’s not over yet and we want to do all we can to ensure he has the best send-off possible.”
As Warrior #168, Johnson made his NRL debut against the Sydney Roosters in 2011 in a season which ended with him playing in the grand final against Manly Warringah.
He is the Warriors’ record points scorer with 1197 points while he’s the club’s second all-time try scorer with 78, one ahead of Jones and behind Manu Vatuvei’s tally of 152.
shaun-johnson-6t.jpg

SHAUN JOHNSON​

Born: September 9, 1990
Birthplace: Auckland, NZ
Junior clubs: Hibiscus Coast Raiders, Northcote Tigers
Position: Halfback
Height: 179cm
Weight: 91kg
NRL debut: One New Zealand Warriors v Sydney Roosters, Sydney Football Stadium, Sydney, June 4, 2011 (Rd 13)
Warriors No: 168
NRL appearances: 265 (2011-2024)
One New Zealand Warriors: 221 (2011-2018 & 2022-2024)
Cronulla Sutherland: 44 (2019-2021)
NRL points: 1460 (84 tries, 553 goals, 18 field goals)
One New Zealand Warriors: 1197 (78 tries, 434 goals, 17 field goals)
Cronulla Sutherland: 263 points (6 tries, 119 goals 1 field goal)