What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd Test: New Zealand v Australia at Christchurch on Feb 20-24, 2016

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I doubt he actually cares though.

Listen I thought hazlewood crossed the line but fast bowling is hard work. Occasionally a bad word might be said. So long as he doesn't kick the stumps over or barge into the umpire like the windies did in nz just fine them and move on.

The reason why johnson is sympathetic is because he knows how hard it is to bowl in international cricket. He had a few petulant moments himself.

JJ

Immortal
It's hard, and I like Hazelwood, and indeed Smith - but their behaviour was pathetic, and unfortunately it seems that as soon as things don't go swimmingly we get the ugly Australians emerging again - bit lame really, was hoping that was gone. The decisions were fine too, just lame - leave the whining for in private or the media - it's not about being nice guys or winning spirit of cricket awards, it's about not being a petulant arsehole - on field in NZ carry on like that with a ridiculous decision in Adelaide?

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I doubt he actually cares though.

Listen I thought hazlewood crossed the line but fast bowling is hard work. Occasionally a bad word might be said. So long as he doesn't kick the stumps over or barge into the umpire like the windies did in nz just fine them and move on.

The reason why johnson is sympathetic is because he knows how hard it is to bowl in international cricket. He had a few petulant moments himself.

The fine is a deterrent. This is part of the deterrent process. Players need to know that behavior is not acceptable. It is not acceptable for the umpires to suffer. It is not acceptable for the broadcast package. To defend the behavior as it is tough on a cricket field so how about removing the "stump mikes"[sic] that are part of the entertainment product - that does not fly.

Cricketers are not the only people not allowed to swear at times during their live work performances before an audience.

Not everyone works on a construction site where language is more carefree.

Last edited:

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Uhh cricketers swear all the time you plonker. Its the fact he directed it at the umpire thats a problem. Pattinson swore incredibly loudly on day 1 and that was picked up by the stump mic....no fine i see

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Uhh cricketers swear all the time you plonker. Its the fact he directed it at the umpire thats a problem. Pattinson swore incredibly loudly on day 1 and that was picked up by the stump mic....no fine i see

:lol: Clearly the umpire did not suffer?

JJ

Immortal
The swearing is one thing, their behaviour towards the umpire simply wasn't acceptable - but go ahead, defend it, whatever - it's bullshit behaviour

Pete Cash

Post Whore
So its got nothing to do with acceptability to the broadcasters. Turn down the mics if they dont want ears to hear swears. Id still want hazlewood fined for swearing at the umpire but it happens. I dont really care about the broadcasters.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
The swearing is one thing, their behaviour towards the umpire simply wasn't acceptable - but go ahead, defend it, whatever - it's bullshit behaviour

Jidge honest question mate but are you all there ? Ive said he should be fined but i also understand that is the price that is paid for aggressive fast bowlers. It will bubble over occasionally. Fine the bowlers when they do it but he wont be the last fast bowler with a petulant outburst.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
So its got nothing to do with acceptability to the broadcasters.

Of course it does for keeping the stump mics on during broadcast. Dissent with swearing is far worse than yelling out an empty expletive aimed at noone through frustration or injury.

Turn down the mics if they dont want ears to hear swears. Id still want hazlewood fined for swearing at the umpire but it happens. I dont really care about the broadcasters.

Broadcasters pay the player's salaries ultimately. They should be able to sell the best possible product which includes stump mics.

The product sold by CA and NZC should not be worth less because their respective employees cannot not dissent to the umpires during a game.

As for the dissent issue itself: these cricketers earn more than most lawyers; lawyers behave like that to a judge in court, where a judges decision is far more important and has far more stark impact on people's lives than a mere wicket at the cricket, they can be locked up for contempt, and go through endless arseholes with a law society for inappropriate behaviour and bringing the profession into disrepute. Fines, censure, and even striking off for repeat offending (that is losing your rights to practice). These guys are meant to be representing their countries on a high stage. How is it they cannot not dissent with swearing?

The players can, and should pull their head in. The stump mics are great entertainment.

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
are you? You seem to want to argue both ways - all cricketers get frustrated - it's the nature of the game.

Hazelwood is neither particularly fast, nor particularly aggressive - Smith's behaviour was also poor - fines aren't enough, and current/former players defending shit behaviour via social media is poor too...

Like I said, I like him - but players cannot react that way (contrast the Adelaide scenario when there was actually a reason to question the decision) - suspensions would stop it - it's ugly, and it's unacceptable. If it was Dhoni and Sharma there'd be a lot of vitriole from Australias - FFS you're dominating the test and we compete for a couple of sessions and suddenly the inner 2-y-o emerges

Last edited:

Pete Cash

Post Whore
are you? You seem to want to argue both ways - all cricketers get frustrated - it's the nature of the game.

Hazelwood is neither particularly fast, nor particularly aggressive - Smith's behaviour was also poor - fines aren't enough, and current/former players defending shit behaviour via social media is poor too...

Like I said, I like him - but players cannot react that way (contrast the Adelaide scenario when there was actually a reason to question the decision) - suspensions would stop it - it's ugly, and it's unacceptable. If it was Dhoni and Sharma there'd be a lot of vitriole from Australias - FFS you're dominating the test and we compete for a couple of sessions and suddenly the inner 2-y-o emerges

Of course he is aggressive. All international fast bowlers are. What do you think he is relaxed running in. Glenn McGrath was insanely aggressive.

Suspensions lmao dont clutch your purse too tightly :lol::lol:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Of course he is aggressive. All international fast bowlers are. What do you think he is relaxed running in. Glenn McGrath was insanely aggressive.
Suspensions lmao dont clutch your purse too tightly :lol::lol:

Oh - is this a Josh is okay because Glenn was worse?

Suspensions would be a good way to get rid of it.

Certainly helps over rates in ICC tournaments. But if Kohli ever loses his cool with an umpire, oh the backlash pressure on the ICC would be huge. But deal with that if it arises.

Last edited:

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Oh - is this a Josh is okay because Glenn was worse?

Suspensions would be a good way to get rid of it.

Certainly helps over rates in ICC tournaments.

Its a non problem.

I want aggression from fast bowlers. Im prepared to see a little naughty behavior if thats the cost. Riaz just got fined for starting it on with a teammate and physically shoving him.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Its a non problem.

I want aggression from fast bowlers. Im prepared to see a little naughty behavior if thats the cost. Riaz just got fined for starting it on with a teammate and physically shoving him.

You may. The ICC and the vast majority outside Australia do not. That is why dissent is sanctioned. They want umpires to be respected on the field without swearing.

If the fines don't work as a deterrent, then the players should both risk and suffer suspension to keep you happy.

I would love for NZ to have a Josh Hazelwood type as a player. I think he is an amazing bowler. His endurance and accuracy is incredibly good.

But he does not need to behave this way.

Last edited:

Pete Cash

Post Whore
You may. The ICC and the vast majority outside Australia do not. That is why dissent is sanctioned. They want umpires to be respected on the field without swearing.

If the fines don't work as a deterrent, then the players should both risk and suffer suspension to keep you happy.

I would love for NZ to have Josh Hazelwood as a player. I think he is an amazing bowler. His endurance and accuracy is incredibly good.

But he does not need to behave this way.

He said a naughty word because he was in the middle of a very difficult part of the game and got frustrated. People love the windies quicks of old and haze was nowhere near what they used to get up to. He didnt kick the stumps down or barge the umpire. Do you not think that it requires a certain personality to be an elite fast bowler ?