What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd Test: New Zealand v Australia at Christchurch on Feb 20-24, 2016

ANTiLAG

First Grade
He said a naughty word because he was in the middle of a very difficult spell. People love the windies quicks of old and haze was nowhere near what they used to get up to. He didnt kick the stumps down or barge the umpire. Do you not think that it requires a certain personality to be an elite fast bowler ?

Holding suffers being reminded of kicking the stumps at least twice a year on his commentary.

Colin Croft has also endured far far far worse reminders of his behaviour of bumping the umpire (more infamous for him outside the West Indies than being a black man touring South Africa on a rebel tour). What Croft did was totally unacceptable.

But just because there are worse previous offences, does not excuse the present.

The bolded part is a no. There would be many different personality types to have been elite fast bowlers. From Bob Willis, RJ Hadlee, Malcolm Marshall through to Glenn McGrath.

But I like this:

[youtube]v=ZRTlVVkcTwg[/youtube]

Last edited:

Pete Cash

Post Whore
It puts his actions into context though.

It was petulant and certainly deserves a fining. Its not a lot worse than Broad telling dar to get on with it a few tests ago

It requires a certain personality to be an elite fast bowler. They charge in and hurl a projectile as hard as they can for long spells. You were impresssed by his endurance ? How much of that comes from his personality.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
It puts his actions into context though.

You were impresssed by his endurance ? How much of that comes from his personality.

This argument cannot ever work for you. I am impressed of his endurance as against other fast bowlers. (He bowled more than a spinners load today - it was really impressive).

The ICC rules do not have a Josh Hazelwood personality exclusion. If he had tourrettes - that may be a mitigating factor in penalizing.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
This argument cannot ever work for you. I am impressed of his endurance as against other fast bowlers. (He bowled more than a spinners load today - it was really impressive).

The ICC rules do not have a Josh Hazelwood personality exclusion.

No but they should keep in mind the type of fella who will become an elite fast bowler.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
No but they should keep in mind the type of fella who will become an elite fast bowler.

You're dreaming. You're defending the indefensible.

There is no need for any personality to behave that way.

The personality of swearing dissent at officials is not acceptable for a batsman, elite batsman, spinner, elite spinner, fast bowler or elite fast bowler.

Even Gatting got scorched for what happened in Pakistan.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
You're dreaming. You're defending the indefensible.

There is no need for any personality to behave that way.

The personality of swearing dissent at officials is not acceptable for a batsman, elite batsman, spinner, elite spinner, fast bowler or elite fast bowler.

Yes its not acceptable and he should be fined but aggressive sportsmen will cross the line occasionally. Certainly not a big deal.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Yes its not acceptable and he should be fined but aggressive sportsmen will cross the line occasionally. Certainly not a big deal.

Well of course its not a big deal. It is not a crime. No one has been murdered. But there is no need for it, it is ugly, and if the ICC wants to deter it, and if the deterrent fines do not work, and enough powers that be think it is ugly enough to warrant bans, then stronger deterrent measures are justifiable.

Gatting lost his captaincy and reckons ultimately 3 years of his career for his dissent in Pakistan. And the umpire swore at Gatting :p

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/463222.html

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/226974.html

[youtube]v=AizLOspJ--Y[/youtube]

As for you claims Glenn was worse than Josh:

[youtube]v=HHzax-alxb4[/youtube]

Last edited:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Nah

Edit

Seriously though it would be a massive overreaction. He has no previous form

This is a true and a fair comment. I actually agree wholeheartedly with you here for the overreaction based on no previous form. It is a yellow card offence, for Josh today, not a red card :p But a second yellow and a stand down imposed for one match or something of that ilk.

What I find interesting is that is that it is complaints about DRS. It is as though that change is leading to another change, the "dissent review".

But hopefully it is nipped in the bud now.

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I guess it was too much to expect the Kiwis to finally stop whinging this summer, now they take it to new heights.

Not surprising, if it weren't for Hazlewood they'd still find something else to whinge about.

"Player swears on cricket pitch" wouldn't make news anywhere else I guess.

Bazal

Post Whore
Such a storm in a teacup. Fast bowler gets understandably upset by poor umpiring (and it was, one look wasnt enough), says a bad word, is slapped on the wrist and told to wash his mouth out with soap. Nothing more to it. So of course there's pages and pages about it. Yawn

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Such a storm in a teacup. Fast bowler gets understandably upset by poor umpiring (and it was, one look wasnt enough), says a bad word, is slapped on the wrist and told to wash his mouth out with soap. Nothing more to it. So of course there's pages and pages about it. Yawn

He plead guilty to dissent. Not for saying a bad word.

chigurh

Awesome effort from Haze today - just kept charging in and all quality, too. He is getting better every series.

I'm sure can pay his fine out of his share of the one million they will snare tomorrow with a victory :p

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Awesome effort from Haze today - just kept charging in and all quality, too. He is getting better every series.

I'm sure can pay his fine out of his share of the one million they will snare tomorrow with a victory :p

Yeah, he bowled incredibly well for little reward with outstanding endurance. Him and Patto were absolute stars today. Very gifted bowlers. But Hazelwood just kept bowling and bowling. It was very impressive. Bird kind of got a free ride on their wickets :p