What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th ODI: Australia v England at Perth (Optus Stadium) on Jan 28, 2018 - England won series 4-1

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I'm not trying to save face. I don't rate Woakes anywhere near SD highly as you do. That is opinion. Yours amuses me because you carry on as though Woakes is best in the world material.

What I take exception to is your penchant for conflating the opinions of anyone who disagrees with you, no matter their reasons for doing so. If you are going to argue something at least get the f**king argument right

Again, you're discussing me more than Chris Woakes or number 8's. You purport to use comparison with an assertion Woakes isn't good enough, but don't offer a single player better at number 8 for this "bog average" player..

Are you incapable of constructing any argument without the use of ad hominem?

Last edited:

Bazal

Post Whore
Again, you're discussing me and not Chris Woakes or number 8's, you purport to use comparison with an assertion Woakes isn't good enough, but don't offer a single player better at number 8 for this "bog average" player..

Are you incapable of any constructing any argument without the use of ad hominem?

That's because I find your overrating of Woakes funny. He's an average bowler who can bat a bit and has collected a lot of not outs by batting at eight. Big deal

Are you capable of recognising that this opinion has absolutely nothing to do with Hineyrulz? Because right now it seems that this simple concept is another that has completely escaped you as a "qualified intellectual"

Meth

Staff member
Woakes has had a good series with the bat and England have won. That's about it.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
That's because I find your overrating of Woakes funny. He's an average bowler who can bat a bit and has collected a lot of not outs by batting at eight. Big deal

Are you capable of recognising that this opinion has absolutely nothing to do with Hineyrulz? Because right now it seems that this simple concept is another that has completely escaped you as a "qualified intellectual"

Bazal, the topic is Woakes at 8 in a World XI, not me.

Now are you going to keep us all in suspense who these players are at number 8 that make Woakes look "bog average" and merely "bat a bit" coupled with making him look like an "average bowler".

Is there anyone who bats at 8 better than Woakes and bowls better than Woakes? Cos they would hands down be better than Woakes.

Or are you going to continue to ruin this forum by discussing me?

Your choice.

Bazal

Post Whore
Bazal, the topic is Woakes in a World XI, not me.

Now are you going to keep us all in suspense who these players are at number 8 that make Woakes look "bog average" and merely "bat a bit" coupled with making him look like an "average bowler".

Is there anyone who bats at 8 better than Woakes and bowls better than Woakes? Cos they would hands down be better than Woakes.

Or are you going to continue to ruin this forum by discussing me?

Your choice.

Quick, keep back-pedalling! Tell me again how I said runs at eight don't matter.

Sabermetrics indicates that you will never get the point. I was never ridiculing Woakes. I was ridiculing your ridiculous and overly high opinion of Woakes. I'm not quite sure how many times it needs to be said before a qualified intellectual such as yourself understands.

I'd also point out that you included me out of the blue in a discussion I wasn't part of. So who's discussing whom?

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Quick, keep back-pedalling! Tell me again how I said runs at eight don't matter.

Sabermetrics indicates that you will never get the point. I was never ridiculing Woakes. I was ridiculing your ridiculous and overly high opinion of Woakes. I'm not quite sure how many times it needs to be said before a qualified intellectual such as yourself understands.

I'd also point out that you included me out of the blue in a discussion I wasn't part of. So who's discussing whom?

So you don't want to discuss Woakes? You want to ridicule me for rating Woakes highly? But you won't propose a better alternative than Woakes that makes him look "bog average" and merely "bat a bit" as well as an "average bowler"?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Bazal is going to try and save face and claw his way out. No pity, if someone wants to enter into a debate on the basis of a popularity contest and join in a circle and throw a barrage of insults at me continuously, instead of simply thinking independently, it is out of my control. But lie with dogs, wake up with fleas and all that.

Hiney is smart enough to already know he's completely shot himself in the foot. But Bazal seems to think he's smarter than that. He's already distancing himself from Hiney as much as he can while still deliberately not agreeing with me and calling me a moron or words synonymous.

lol, we dont need running commentary or some one to tel us how we should be interpreting anything, but thank you for your non bias take on the topic

Bazal

Post Whore
So you don't want to discuss Woakes? You want to ridicule me for rating Woakes highly? But you won't propose a better alternative than Woakes that makes him look "bog average" and merely "bat a bit" as well as an "average bowler"?

Finally, the qualified intellectual gets it!

Woakes is a middle of the road cricketer who does a job but is as threatening in his main discipline as Scott Boland. You ejaculated over him Slater style. It's completely over the top and ridiculous.

"But but but he's the best number eight bat in the world!" Who gives a shit?

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Finally, the qualified intellectual gets it!

Woakes is a middle of the road cricketer who does a job but is as threatening in his main discipline as Scott Boland. You ejaculated over him Slater style. It's completely over the top and ridiculous.

"But but but he's the best number eight bat in the world!" Who gives a shit?

So you're still not giving a single player to bat 8 in a World XI who is a better option than Woakes, who makes Woakes look "bog average", and merely "bat a bit" ?

And you now don't think being the bat at number 8 is a factor to weigh heavily in deciding who should bat 8? Just trying to reconcile "who gives a shit?" with your earlier recent agreement that runs at 8 do matter and are relevant.

I mean by main discipline - are we going back to pick the 4 best bowlers, or a split weighting of bowler allrounder? Who are the bowler allrounders at 8 who are better options than Waokes and make him look an average bowler and only "bat a bit"?

Here's a list of names if you need help:

https://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/icc-rankings/odi-bowling

Last edited:

TheParraboy

Staff member
some interesting stats on Woakes

Poms have won 34 ODI's with him in the side
He has batted 18 times only (almost half of those games) and had 12 not outs
Has scored only 364 runs in those 18 innings S/R 113.04 (his average severely inflated by not outs)

Poms have lost 33 matches with him in the side
He has batted 33 times, only 5no. Ave 19.6, S/R 79.44 (5 ducks)

Make that what you will

I think he is a good player and batting at 8 is due to the poms having a high artillery of all rounders. Formula has worked for them, but for mine this 5 ODI that has just gone by we contributed to them being good as well. We at times were dreadfull. Lets see how they go on home soil pressure of a world cup. Im happy for other nations to do well till then ;)

Latest posts