What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Johns Retires - It's Official

Razor

Coach
Sad news. Channel Eddie will be all over him to sign up for the Footy Show.

He's already got a contract with Channel 9. The work he's doing now, isn't guest work. It's part of his contract with the network.

Smartman

Juniors
Apey said:
I missed the end score in that game, what was it?

D:

Forgot the score, but i hazard a guess Joey couldnt enjoy it as much as his teammates laying in a hospital bed :lol:

Ridders

Coach
innsaneink said:
At least the last time i saw him live he was at his best, game II origin 05.
That try he laid on for I think Buderus, right in front of us, brilliant.

ah yeh that game brings back memories. Me and my mates were at that game as well. He had a bit of a shaky start but from there he put on a masterclass

Balmain_Boy

Bloody hell, amazing news. I really didn't think this was going to happen.

Unfortunate end to a phenomenal career. What a career it was.

flamin

Juniors
Raider_69 said:
pretty ordinary way to end things isnt it?
thrashed by the wooden spoon favourites with a team full of blokes most havnt herd of and out played by Todd Carney... history will show that to be not nearly as bad as it sounds now

the emphasis was meant to be on mauling not Canberra

ucantseeme

Juniors
Joey should go over to the UK and be assistant coach for the England national team. Make sure they can at least compete for the 2008 RLWC.

Or maybe work with a minnow like Russia. Spread the knowledge.

Better than bumming around here doing funny photos segment on the Footy Show.

super_coach

First Grade
I have been going to the footy since the mid sixties, Joeys up their with Beetson,Lamb,Stirling--if not the best--My only regret--he never played for the tigers

ShadesOfTheSun

Juniors
Sad that his retirement game from the NRL couldn't match his Anzac Day and State of Origin triumphs, but really, it would've hardly been worth it to risk permanent damage just to go out on a more positive note. He'd already gotten the perfect finishes to his Origin and Test career.

joey007

Juniors
:shock: Am gutted. Going to miss watching him play, dont think we will see another like him.
Good luck Joey & thanks for the entertainment:thumn

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
http://nrl.com/News/Latest/NewsArticle/tabid/76/NewsId/4500/Default.aspx

Gallop pays tribute to Johns

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 5:01 PM

NRL Chief Executive, Mr David Gallop, has today paid tribute to Knights captain Andrew Johns who retired today.

“For 15 years he has been a colossal figure in our game,” Mr Gallop said.

“Whether it was for the Knights the Blues or the Kangaroos he commanded an unrivalled level of admiration for his brilliant skills in attack and defence and for his competitiveness.

“Players wanted to play in rep teams with him and if he was in the opposition, players knew they were up against one of the best ever

“That’s why players and fans of all clubs will miss him.

“Certainly kids wanted to play like him and his loyalty to his hometown of Newcastle has been as inspiring as what he did on the field.

“I wish him good luck for his future – I’m sure he will be part of the game for many years to come.”

Source: NRL

Azkatro

First Grade
Well it had to happen sooner or later. Whether you hate him or wanna boof him, the game poorer for his loss.

KempoKnight

Juniors
Such as sad ending to an amazing players great career its a massive blow for the nrl to loss him.

To those who just want to insult him grow up, even if you dont like him show some respect he helped the game grow in many ways and for what he has done for the sport you should all be thankful.

Esoj

Juniors
great player on the field and a prick off it.

seems like the neck could of gone at anytime going by the press conference and joey himself knew it was fairly serious when the knock happened in training.

he is without doubt one of the greatest to play the game.
I have some of my mates coming over from nz for state of origin 2 and we were all looking forward to maybe seeing him play.

Rocky Rabbit

Juniors
Thanks for the memories Andrew
I think we would all have to agree one of the greatest players we have seen.

Good luck in future

Glenn

First Grade
One of the best players of the modern era, best wishes for what ever the future holds.