What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

arana taumata

Talanexor

Juniors
After the first couple of rounds Henry has only played Rovelli when we have had no other ready-made options.

He has dropped him multiple times and has even hooked him mid-game.

I don't really see picking the only half left in your squad as having a love affair.

Yeah this is a fair point. Thompson needed to string some games together and Morgan had to do extra fitness work for a few weeks before he made his first grade debut. If both of those guys were fit and ready to go at the start of the season, Rovelli probably wouldn't have played.

Taumata would be cheap and if he's versatile enough to play centre, halves or fullback then he's a good depth signing.

Didgi

After the first couple of rounds Henry has only played Rovelli when we have had no other ready-made options.

He has dropped him multiple times and has even hooked him mid-game.

I don't really see picking the only half left in your squad as having a love affair.

When we had Morgan (fair enough, fitness issues) Tompson and (at a stretch) Segeyaro, Payne, Watts, Amos there, there's really no excuse. A player out of position or a young player would still be a better option than Rovelli.

Last edited:

Talanexor

Juniors
I don't think Taumata will go straight into the side, even if he arrives mid season. He'd need time to gel with the side and I'd rather see Watts or Harris given a longer run at right centre before we even think about Taumata.

elyod138

Bench
Wouldn't Taumata be a massive liability in the centres?

If I remember correctly he is small and struggles in defense, it would be good if someone who has seen him play there recently can comment.

I'd say if we sign him it'd be to cover fullback and the halves. If Bowen or Gallant go down we'll need someone else, I think Morgan should play Under 20's for the rest of the year.

Edit: It looks like he has grown in the couple of years since I last saw him play, so maybe he would be ok in the centres.

Last edited:

macnaz

Staff member
So Tuamata...
Broncos, Roosters, Bulldogs, Storm, Tigers, Cowboys
Wow, 6 clubs now

But at least this move was not due to of field issues, he has been a clean skin thusfar this season. I didnt see any games he played this year but from reports he always looked dangerous with the ball and i read somewhere months back that he was the fastest guy in our club.. So he has speed to burn! I was hoping WT used him on our bench as a utility but Sheens thought an average winger who gets 2 minutes game time was more important to have on the bench.

Last edited:

macnaz

Staff member
Hey Talan, congrates on the 1000 posts star , you are now officially an aprentice post whore. :)

Last edited:

Nth-Qld-Raider

Juniors
Not sure if you guys should worry about him., with Thompson and Morgan, they look pretty good to me.

But great news that you have signed Winterstein and may get Tate soon aswell.

macnaz

Staff member
Wouldn't Taumata be a massive liability in the centres?

If I remember correctly he is small and struggles in defense, it would be good if someone who has seen him play there recently can comment..

Edit: It looks like he has grown in the couple of years since I last saw him play, so maybe he would be ok in the centres.
Just checked the WT website, he is 86kg at 184cm

elyod138

Bench
Not sure if you guys should worry about him., with Thompson and Morgan, they look pretty good to me.

I think it's mainly to cover for the rest of this season.

Thompson is out for the rest of the year and Morgan is battling an injury and doesn't look quite ready for full time first grade yet.

Talanexor

Juniors
Hey Talan, congrates on the 1000 posts star , you are now officially an aprentice post whore. :)

Thank! Just goes to show I spend way too much of my life on LU.

You're not far off 1000 yourself...

I think Taumata is a smart signing, as we're running out of halves. He has plenty of versatility too.

Hey Macnaz, that Fifita bloke looks pretty good too - maybe we should sign him up as well! For some reason all the Tigers players we've signed have turned out to be good players.

macnaz

Staff member
Thank! Just goes to show I spend way too much of my life on LU.

Hey Macnaz, that Fifita bloke looks pretty good too - maybe we should sign him up as well! For some reason all the Tigers players we've signed have turned out to be good players.
Yeah Fifita has a brother in TYC and plays exactly the same way, so maybe you's can steal him.

Shorty

Staff member
arana taumata has signed with the cowboys
Link please.

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2010/06/14/146105_sport.html

The Cowboys are also investigating the possibility of bringing Wests Tigers utility Arana Taumata in this year as short-term cover in the halves. He is currently playing for Balmain in the New South Wales Cup but could be offered a deal to move north with Thompson out for the season, Michael Morgan carrying a rotator cuff problem and Johnathan Thurston managing a calf strain.

Only a possibility yet.

Last edited:

Talanexor

Juniors
So, given Bowen's poor defensive display against the Sharks, do we give this guy a run in the halves?

I haven't seen much of him at all, not enough to make that call, but he seemed to hold his own defensively in the centres.

Assuming Watts will be right to play after the bye and will be the bench utility, where does Taumata fit into the side?

elyod138

Bench
For the rest of the year I'd have Taumata at 6 and Bowen at 1.

If they want to persevere with Bowen in the halves then Taumata can play in the centres with Harris on the bench.

They could even continue with Taumata on the bench along with Watts. He would replace Harris in the centres and Harris would go into the forward rotation.

perverse

Referee
i would think that if Taumata was going to be a success, he would have been by now. clubs can't wait to get rid of him, it would seem.

elyod138

Bench
He's only 21 and he was the one who requested a release at the Tigers because Tim Sheens wouldn't give him a run, despite the team desperately needing halves at different stages throughout the year.

I think he still has a shot at a good career if he can stay out of trouble. That's a big 'if', but it seems like he has been behaving himself lately.

There's a reason so many clubs keep giving him another chance.

Last edited:

Talanexor

Juniors
At least in Townsville BJ should be keeping him so busy training that he won't have time to even think about getting into trouble.

I'm happy to keep Bowen at 6 for the time being - it forces him to get involved and we benefit from Gallant's support play and kick returns. We just need to find a way to protect him.

He needs a bodyguard like Carroll for Lockyer or Scott for Soward.

And along came the Hulk...