What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Asada 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weaponhead

Coach
Asada must be under massive pressure to get a scalp. As usual the Sharks are the weakest link. They can't have much evidence given how long it is since the investigation stopped. The judge reviewed the evidence in April.

So now the players' heads are completely done in - do we fight for our rights and our reputation and plead 'not guilty' and have the drama go on for another 6 months, or do we take the 'guilty' plea and get ready to play in March 2015, knowing that the season is gone anyway?

The smart money says take the punishment.

f**k taking the 'punishment', when not proven guilty
No player should accept any ban or admit to 'guilt' (guilty or not), unless ASADA has proof to the contrary....and thus force them to show what they've got!

Since 73

First Grade
Can't we be the test case that proves peptides are NOT performance enhancing...and they should be off the banned list.

What more firkin evidence could you need??

Frailty

First Grade
If there is no evidence, then they wouldn't have given show cause notices.

If there is weak evidence, the players' lawyers will submit arguments against the notices and the ADVP will likely to not place them on the register.

If there is still doubt, they will be placed on the register and infraction notices be issued and it will be argued in court.

ASADA would not offer a deal unless they had enough evidence to lead to infraction notices. They are offering deals because it is likely they are after more players throughout the league (or even other codes).

If the players were guaranteed that there wouldn't be any further ramifications then "the deal" would be mighty tempting....
But isn't WADA still threatening to challenge the sentences?
If this is the case then I'd futt-buck the situation all the way back

Omnishark2

Juniors
Roy Master's latest gives the most concise info (light years ahead of the DT bile) :

ASADA has applied the ‘‘no significant fault’’ concession to the players believing they were unwitting victims of an ad-hoc, experimental doping program. The ASADA Act also allows for back-dating of bans provided two conditions are met:
- the players admit taking performance-enhancing substances, and
- administrative delays prevented the case to coming to a swift resolution.

At Wednesday’s meetings players asked for a guarantee WADA would not appeal and the ASADA representatives said this could not be given. However Fairfax Media understands McDevitt agreed to produce a letter to Smith expressing all endeavours would be made to convince WADA of the need to bring the protracted dispute to a swift conclusion.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...to-being-doped-and-duped-20140820-106e20.html

On balance, I think our players should take the deal.
Yes it sucks, because the players were misled & didn't deliberately take anything illegal.
But it's the only way to get closure on 18 months of pain from a very unfortunate set of circumstances.

Dank & Elkin should be shot.
On balance Flanno should be made to take more responsibility (as the head coach) than his ban so far.

But the person I feel most sorry for out of the whole sorry saga is David Givney.
He has given years of service to the club (probably for bugger all money).
Elkin deliberately hid Dank's program from him.
All reports show he acted professionally & correctly as soon as he became aware of Dank's program.
But he has been completely screwed over, and his life has been ruined, when all he did was the right thing. Absolutely tragic.

Since 73

First Grade
The head coach has to take the fall.
Whether its foolanno or Wayne Bennett.
Nobody and no thing should be allowed near the playing group/program until it's been screened.

What were we paying him for again?

Card Shark

Immortal
Roy Master's latest gives the most concise info (light years ahead of the DT bile) :

ASADA has applied the ??no significant fault?? concession to the players believing they were unwitting victims of an ad-hoc, experimental doping program. The ASADA Act also allows for back-dating of bans provided two conditions are met:

At Wednesday?s meetings players asked for a guarantee WADA would not appeal and the ASADA representatives said this could not be given. However Fairfax Media understands McDevitt agreed to produce a letter to Smith expressing all endeavours would be made to convince WADA of the need to bring the protracted dispute to a swift conclusion.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...to-being-doped-and-duped-20140820-106e20.html

On balance, I think our players should take the deal.
Yes it sucks, because the players were misled & didn't deliberately take anything illegal.
But it's the only way to get closure on 18 months of pain from a very unfortunate set of circumstances

If ASADA are following the law (ASADA Act) by following this course of action, surely WADA have to butt out of it.

If the players can get the written guarantee that they will agree with the suspension, then it's madness not to accept the ban.

In the case of Essendon, they are fighting the legality of the investigation. ASADA have said if it is proven illegal, they will simply begin the investigation again. Do we want this to be repeated?

The club stuffed up but so did the players. It's ultimately their responsibility to ensure what goes into their bodies is approved for use. To get a 3 week suspension for that is very light IMO.

Lurkingshark

Juniors
If the players accept the ban, they have to admit taking something. However, the deal offered is a: because of admin delay and b: "no significant fault"
Possibly they could defend their reputations with the latter but whether the Bogan Bible will permit that is anyone' guess.

Vin Fizz

Bench
The whole saga of the past few days seems totally negotiated between the NRL who want an end to it, ASADA who look foolish every single day that this continues and the Club and players that have had to deal with the sorry mess for nye on 2 years. I reckon ASADA has evidence but as ive said before I suspect its circumstantial and if tested might not stand up. The NRL and ASADA have agreed to this package no doubt in my mind. Its as flimsy as the original presser in Feb last year but it will put and to this shit fight. Gal and Wadey have the most to lose. Toups might call it a day, JM has already and Gards wont be around. The other 12 im not concerned about. If I were Noycey id be planning 2015 and beyond without the above players. JM could still coach id imagine. Make Mennis the capitana and start afresh. Support WG and Gal but run that in parallel. Now, what do we do with Flange then?

Lurkingshark

Juniors
The whole saga of the past few days seems totally negotiated between the NRL who want an end to it, ASADA who look foolish every single day that this continues and the Club and players that have had to deal with the sorry mess for nye on 2 years. I reckon ASADA has evidence but as ive said before I suspect its circumstantial and if tested might not stand up. The NRL and ASADA have agreed to this package no doubt in my mind. Its as flimsy as the original presser in Feb last year but it will put and to this shit fight. Gal and Wadey have the most to lose. Toups might call it a day, JM has already and Gards wont be around. The other 12 im not concerned about. If I were Noycey id be planning 2015 and beyond without the above players. JM could still coach id imagine. Make Mennis the capitana and start afresh. Support WG and Gal but run that in parallel. Now, what do we do with Flange then?
Be concerned about the 12....they will likely sue the club. JM can't coach if banned. If players take deal I think very likely Flanno in deep ka-ka.
So, summing up from a fans point of view if the players take the deal they will be on deck, but the club will be sued. And Flanno likely gooorne which will make some happy.
The alternative? They fight, and the whole soap opera lumbers on for an indeterminate period with an unpredictable outcome.
My opinion? If they are truly innocent they should fight. Very hard decisions coming up.
Would be nice if it all just goes away, though.......

Vin Fizz

Bench
Ahh the other 12. Now riddle me this batman. If the players agree to the ban that has them admiting to "KNOWINGLY" taking a banned substance (I say again knowingly) what can they then sue the club for? Its the reverse in my mind. If they fight it and win they cant sue the club because effectively nothing happened. If they fight and lose they might then have a case. If they take the ban I don't think they do. Its those rights that I suspect the media are reporting that players should preserve.

carcharias

Immortal
Do people really think 17 players all agreed to take banned gear and risk it all for the f**king sharks club ?
Or because Flano forced them too?

FFS
Fight the merkins .

sharknows

Bench
If in fact they took banned substances whether knowingly or not then they are deemed guilty. If this is the fact then they are best to take the deal now as they only have to admit to taking the substance and this can be unknowingly. IMO that puts no slur on any reputations.

coolumsharkie

Referee
ASADA has applied the ‘‘no significant fault’’ concession to the players believing they were unwitting victims of an ad-hoc, experimental doping program.

The ASADA Act also allows for back-dating of bans provided two conditions are met:

Thats contradictory and transparently obvious that ASADA have very little evidence.

The whole thing stinks.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
ASADA has applied the ??no significant fault?? concession to the players believing they were unwitting victims of an ad-hoc, experimental doping program.

The ASADA Act also allows for back-dating of bans provided two conditions are met:

Thats contradictory and transparently obvious that ASADA have very little evidence.

The whole thing stinks.

ASADA have plenty of evidence. Not a smoking gun, as such, but they likely don't need that under the WADA code.

The delay in getting it to here has been Public Service lawyers bullet proofing the thing. The investigators were confident before last Christmas that they were ready to go.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
If in fact they took banned substances whether knowingly or not then they are deemed guilty. If this is the fact then they are best to take the deal now as they only have to admit to taking the substance and this can be unknowingly. IMO that puts no slur on any reputations.

That isn't the outcome your Club wants. If players take the plea, they will be admitting to cheating.

If that is unwittingly, who do you think they will go after to save face?

The Club. And they will win. WHich means Cronulla lose - in the biggest possible way.

One bloke rolls over...................................and BOOM!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts